Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    A 12 year old boy with unfiltered internet access in his pocket whenever he wants... Hmmn, what do you think will happen?

This...THIS is what I would be worried about.

Only because I, at one time, actually was a 12 year-old boy.
    i was just having this very same conversation with my wife! my 13 year old wanted a I-Touch, saying he had enough money - from gifts - to buy it - which he did. however, i told him that its too easy that way and if he really wants one he has to work and earn money to buy it. this does two things- 1) we'll really see if he really wants it and 2) if he does earn the money then he'll literally will have more of a sense of ownership over it, and hopefully take better care of it then he may have if it was just given to him.

the other thing i think about is, you start giving kids something at a young age, you set the bar so high already - then what, when they're 16?? a new car??
    maybe i'm old-fashioned too but i agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    It's funny, I must be VERY old fashioned, and please forgive my soapbox (it's LOOOONG. stop reading now if you bore easily). But, to me, it's not about whether or not a 12 year old (or 15 or 17 year old) is smart enough, technical enough, or responsible enough. It's about a maturity and understanding of value that generally only comes with years lived, and earning it for yourself.

Just a few short years ago, no one with an existing cell plan, could get an expensive phone without paying list price. At best, you could use your meager $75-$150 new phone allowance towards your purchase, but that still left you with at least $350-$450 out of pocket.

Now, with new ways to wheel-and-deal ourselves into "cheap" or free phones, we completely lose site of the fact that these are $400-$600 devices that many of us have, previously, had to work for, save for, live without, and, as I have seen on this site and others, sell when money gets tight ("I really love my Treo but I'm really short on cash right now,").

How many of you that are thinking of buying your 12 year olds a Pixi or Pre or the like, would have done it two years ago when it would have cost you at least $350?

How many of you who ARE 12 (or 14, 0r whatever), have worked a real job, hours a day, days a week, earned money, saved for all your responsibilities (i.e., school), and THEN bought your own $400+ phone at or near list?

Meaning no disrespect, but kids should never be handed the fancy car, $200 PS2's, or an approximately $400 cell phone. Especially when it didn't cost THEM any amount that they actually worked, at a job, to earn. No matter how mature, smart, or trustworthy they are.

I swear I am rarely this judgemental. I am NOT the forum guy that goes off on people or insults them or anything like that. But, I have to ask... am I the only one who thinks it's crazy that, a year or so ago, many of us were looking for ways to afford the list price for a SmartPhone we really wanted but couldn't afford or cost justify, and now there are folks just handing them to their kids, simply because they are now "cheap" or "free"? Have we forgotten what these things cost or how hard we worked for them?

Is your 12 year old or 14 year old going straight into Harvard next year? Or even Standford? If he's THAT bright, he might need a more advanced organizational tool, and I apologize.

Otherwise, all they really need is a Daytimer and a pen for their calendar and contacts and one of those really cool phones that only calls mom, dad and 911. It also has one of those family GPS functions for tracking. When MY kids turn 12, that's all they are getting. No matter how much their friends might razz them about it.

Here's my alternative suggestion... If you REALLY want your kid to have a $400 phone, have him/her earn it, by the sweat of their brow. If your child is too young to work for someone, have him/her get a paper route, or mow people's lawns for a whole summer. Something that shows hard work, being responsible, and earning your own way. Then actually take his/her money, and give him/her the phone. You can even put the money away somewhere for him (or her) for school, if you really want to.

Again, perhaps I am just too old fashioned. I apologize both for my rambling and if I've overstepped my bounds.

Thanks for all your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottria View Post
    Well I got him the Reclaim for Xmas, he liked it for a while then kept playing with my Pre. He saved up enough money for the Pixi and now wants to switch over. I returned the Reclaim and heading to Best Buy after work to get his Pixi. To much phone for an 12 year old? This is his 3rd, well 2nd cell phone not counting the reclaim. He listens to music and does texting.

My 11 yr. old son is most likely getting a Pixi. It's pretty unfair to his older brother, who had only a prepaid (emergency) phone while all his friends had unlimited cell phone freedom.
    But...I am a Sprint Premier customer, out of contract and ready to upgrade. We shopped around. Other companies have some cool phones or plan options, but I am staying with Sprint and adding my family, because Sprint does offer internet controls and the family locator.
    Although my kids didn't pay for them, the phones were their main Christmas present. They have certain behavior/grade requirements to keep the service since we pay for it. (Yes..I know it's Jan.22 but that's a long story.)
    I think it will be good for my boys to have smartphone skills and service. It can only help them if they want to start a lawnmowing, flyer delivering, paper routing business. A smartphone is my #1 business tool. I just hope that the Sprint internet controls are consistent & effective? Besides..sometimes we're out running errands and they need internet access for homework.
    We may require them to check in their phones at night, since it is common for kids to stay up texting, chatting, calling through the night.
    Just some of the ideas we had.
    A Pixi? Please, do him a favor, get him a Pre. You know hes going to be wanting to play VBA right?

(just kidding)

I think a Pixi would be great for a little kid. Except, he needs to work for it. If he doesn't work for it, and drops it and cracks the screen, he won't learn anything. If he actually has to put time and effort into the phone, then he'll care more about the uptake of the phone.
    Last edited by Rudementry; 01/23/2010 at 12:32 AM.
    My 13 and 11 yr olds both have pres. He will be fine with the pixi.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Wow, did thread get down to earth. He did get his Pixi from his own money that he did earn! And no, he has no idea, thank god, about the "other" stuff online. Mostly into video games and sports. Rudementry is correct he is already a bit disappointed that the Pixi can't play Need for Speed, or some of the other cool games that are available for the Pre, not sure what VBA is. If the price drops in the next 30days on the Pre at BB then we will exchange it for the Pre.
    I dont mean to sound biased but there is no why that my kid will get a phone that requires a data plan until she is at least 17-18 when she is working. Kids are not esonsible enough case in point some of these kids here get a new phone every year & most trash them often having to get a replacement. Not to mention a basic data plan is what $70 a month. Parents need to teach responsibility.
    My 2 kids have nice phones that fall under basic plans.
    Yeah im judging but oh well.
    I mean we all spoil our kids w/ a DS or PSP ect... I'm definately not cheap but really. look at at your kid and all they do is text, text & text a couple of photos and games if your lucky because they don't want the battery to run dry. besides thats what the PSP & DS are for. Let them earn their way at least pay for a basic & if they want the device have them pay the difference.
    if ya spoil them rotten then ya create monsters that expect a monthly handout.
    Quote Originally Posted by CEMIII70 View Post
    I dont mean to sound biased but there is no why that my kid will get a phone that requires a data plan until she is at least 17-18 when she is working. Kids are not esonsible enough case in point some of these kids here get a new phone every year & most trash them often having to get a replacement. Not to mention a basic data plan is what $70 a month. Parents need to teach responsibility.
    My 2 kids have nice phones that fall under basic plans.
    Yeah im judging but oh well.
    you came out of hiding just to post this?

a)not all kids are the same.

b)his kid is not your kid.

c)how's the weather up there on your little cloud of judgment where you are casually handing out life lessons?
    I'm 20 years old and feel this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by mandigaga View Post
    I'm 20 years old and feel this way.
    now that youve chimed in, im sure the poster is gonna return that Pixi and get his kid a TicTalk.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Just my two cents, I was at a high school football game recently and I got an email notification on my Pre, an eight year old suddenly exclaims (my gf's nephew's son) "You've got a Palm Pre, I've gotta Iphone. And I'm thinking, what is an eight year old doing with a smartphone? Why is his dad (a Chicago cop) allowing this? Now, I'm very old school, I'm 55 years old and learned at an early age the value of working for the things you want in life and the responsibilities that come with them, but here's the kicker. How many of you out there who think a smartphone is too much for a twelve year old, or even an eight year old, purchased an Xbox 360, or PS3 for Christmas for them, or their Bday's, or whatever? I mean these systems are internet ready and have parental controls, and a lot of the games are not rated "E" for everyone. A lot of those games are blood and guts. IMHO, its not about if the Pixie or the Pre is too much phone for a twelve year old, webOS is easy to operate, (Thank God in my old age) but whether they can be responsible for the phone itself, losing it , abusing it, caring for its delicate hardware and the like. If they can handle Xbox, or PS3, desktop, laptop, (In most schools these days) the Pixie AND Pre should be a breeze. . . Just my two cents.
    there's a big difference between need and want
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Everybody calm down, jesus I didn't expect a wrath of how to raise my kid and and what is good for him and what isn't.

Chud thanks for the responses.

Mandigaga, back to your hole.

CEMIII70, we already have a data plan that is included in our family share plan, so nothing extra out of my pocket. He broke his PSP so he was saving for a new PSP Go but decided to get the Pixi so he can have n MP3 player, a phone and a small gaming system. The Pixi won't play NFS so were going to exchange it for a Pre, boy that will bring in 50 more posts on what MY child needs and wants.
    A Pre for a 12 yr old? Really? Really? If he is using his own money to pay for the Pre and monthly plan, whatevs. It's all good.

He does know that the Pixi will be able to play games at some point, right? But then again he'd prolly be better off buying an Xbox 360 and connecting it to 7.1 surround and a 50 incher playing games in HD on that instead of a 3.1in screen. Meh. Whatevs.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    A Pre for a 12 yr old? Really? Really? If he is using his own money to pay for the Pre and monthly plan, whatevs. It's all good.
    it's all good either way because it's absolutely none of your business.

He does know that the Pixi will be able to play games at some point, right?
    link to proof?

But then again he'd prolly be better off buying an Xbox 360 and connecting it to 7.1 surround and a 50 incher playing games in HD on that instead of a 3.1in screen. Meh. Whatevs.
    werd dawg. i love jumping on the bus with my portable Xbox rig.

Palm should have learned a thing or two from Nintendo. they were epic fail with that Game Boy thing......with its 2.5 inch screen......and monochrome display. but hey, whatevs.
    None of it is my business but it was posted so I commented. Just like you responded to my post brother.

Chud, your sarcasm is great but we all know that no one is jumping on the bus with a portable Xbox 360. You know that I was making a point about gaming on a 3.1 in screen at home.

Now, when I go to Egypt and Greece next year I may use my Pre to play a game or two while I wait in the airport but not home brother. Definitely would have come in handy while I was waiting at EWR in Dec on my way to TXL and on the train ride to AMS from Berlin that month. On the plane, not so much b/c Continental has games you can play via the entertainment system. Diff story if you're Lufthansa or Egypt Air. But when I'm home I'll just use the 360 on the 106in with the 7.1.

Different tastes for different folks. No worries. I'm not making a judgment one way or the other.

And GO Vikings!
    Last edited by playboy; 01/24/2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I got a Pixi for my 15 year old (who was 14 when I got it for him). It was in reward for his grade card, which his first quarter was a high D average -- the second quarter he brought it up to a B average - no grade less than a C.

He had a WinMo phone (Q9C) that he'd lost due to bad grades, and wanted a Pixi - so it worked out pretty well.

But 12? Hmmmmm.. It depends on the kid and how mature he is. Tell him if he breaks it, it's tough **** (I put it in stars) and he'd have to pay to get it replaced, if you think he's mature enough to handle it.
    Man, I'm 18 right now but I've had cell phones since I was in elementary school. Parents figured it'd be an easy way to keep track of me and I loved gadgets even then as a kid.

And it really depends on the kid I suppose. I'd probably get my kid a smartphone if he was responsible and actually used some of the features(like the Calendar). I got my first smartphone when I was.. 14? I bought a Cingular 8525 with my own money and I used it to take a bunch of notes and keep track of my schedule, check my email, and surf the web at night so I wouldn't get in trouble with the parents :P

If you're comfortable with it though, why not? You might wanna get insurance if hes clumsy though...
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    It's funny, I must be VERY old fashioned, and please forgive my soapbox (it's LOOOONG. stop reading now if you bore easily). But, to me, it's not about whether or not a 12 year old (or 15 or 17 year old) is smart enough, technical enough, or responsible enough. It's about a maturity and understanding of value that generally only comes with years lived, and earning it for yourself.

Just a few short years ago, no one with an existing cell plan, could get an expensive phone without paying list price. At best, you could use your meager $75-$150 new phone allowance towards your purchase, but that still left you with at least $350-$450 out of pocket.

Now, with new ways to wheel-and-deal ourselves into "cheap" or free phones, we completely lose site of the fact that these are $400-$600 devices that many of us have, previously, had to work for, save for, live without, and, as I have seen on this site and others, sell when money gets tight ("I really love my Treo but I'm really short on cash right now,").

How many of you that are thinking of buying your 12 year olds a Pixi or Pre or the like, would have done it two years ago when it would have cost you at least $350?

How many of you who ARE 12 (or 14, 0r whatever), have worked a real job, hours a day, days a week, earned money, saved for all your responsibilities (i.e., school), and THEN bought your own $400+ phone at or near list?

Meaning no disrespect, but kids should never be handed the fancy car, $200 PS2's, or an approximately $400 cell phone. Especially when it didn't cost THEM any amount that they actually worked, at a job, to earn. No matter how mature, smart, or trustworthy they are.

I swear I am rarely this judgemental. I am NOT the forum guy that goes off on people or insults them or anything like that. But, I have to ask... am I the only one who thinks it's crazy that, a year or so ago, many of us were looking for ways to afford the list price for a SmartPhone we really wanted but couldn't afford or cost justify, and now there are folks just handing them to their kids, simply because they are now "cheap" or "free"? Have we forgotten what these things cost or how hard we worked for them?

Is your 12 year old or 14 year old going straight into Harvard next year? Or even Standford? If he's THAT bright, he might need a more advanced organizational tool, and I apologize.

Otherwise, all they really need is a Daytimer and a pen for their calendar and contacts and one of those really cool phones that only calls mom, dad and 911. It also has one of those family GPS functions for tracking. When MY kids turn 12, that's all they are getting. No matter how much their friends might razz them about it.

Here's my alternative suggestion... If you REALLY want your kid to have a $400 phone, have him/her earn it, by the sweat of their brow. If your child is too young to work for someone, have him/her get a paper route, or mow people's lawns for a whole summer. Something that shows hard work, being responsible, and earning your own way. Then actually take his/her money, and give him/her the phone. You can even put the money away somewhere for him (or her) for school, if you really want to.

Again, perhaps I am just too old fashioned. I apologize both for my rambling and if I've overstepped my bounds.

Thanks for all your time.
    NOW GET OFF MY LAWN! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Being serious, you have a great point. I had a Nokia black & white screen phone from my parents that was used only to call them when I was in high school and didn't even have a cell phone the first two years I was in the Marine Corps.

I see really young kids with cell phones and I shake my head. I can understand in some ways, others I can't. If they are very involved with church, school, etc it makes it so much easier on the parents. On the other hand it makes me think they are spoiled and do they really need that crap? I am really torn about what I'm going to do about cell phones for my kids. Thankfully they are still YEARS off from that decision. The oldest is 3.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast