Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've gone the other way and much prefer the 9700.

I see Palm's innovations with webOS as mostly having to do with the decision to disregard battery power and throw a graphically intensive UI over the phone. I don't believe they have actually solved a problem here, just shifted it around in a way that's pleasing to the eyes.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    after a treo 700p, I went to BB curve... wow GPS! that was nice. bb is fast and efficient, but then Palm was resurrected

I waited and waited for Pre (January to June), but then my company didn't have it available for employees. so I jumped on the BB tour... I felt the same thing as the Op... "I realized it was more of the same. Nothing had really changed, aside from a few cosmetic touch-ups that RIM had applied to what was still an old OS beneath the surface. I was unsure of what to do."

Luckily the BB had problems and by then my company had the Pre available... I do miss the speed of BB email, but everything else on BB was not as good as pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by olidie View Post
    My fiancee have a BB Curve. She love to use my Pre for web browsing but isn't sold on the form factor and she believes it's too complicated even though she manages to get stuff done fairly easily. She's intimidated by how much the phone can do and isn't a fan of a touch screen device because of smudges and fingerprints on the LCD. She's hard set on getting a BB come March 1st because of the familiarity with BB OS.

Come March 1st, she's getting a WebOS device. She just doesn't know it yet.
    LOL!!! Nice.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I am currently a BB storm user but for the last 3 or 2 weeks I've been obsessively on precentral.net n Youtube checking out n reading all about the pre. Come Monday I'm making the switch to palm......can't wait. The pre plus looks amazing n I'm all about the pre now. Bye bye BB n bye bye crackberry.com...here I come pre just 3 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by ganthonyv View Post
    I am currently a BB storm user but for the last 3 or 2 weeks I've been obsessively on precentral.net n Youtube checking out n reading all about the pre. Come Monday I'm making the switch to palm......can't wait. The pre plus looks amazing n I'm all about the pre now. Bye bye BB n bye bye crackberry.com...here I come pre just 3 days.
    Being an ex-Storm user now for 7 months now (6 months was all I could take with the Storm) and loving the my Pre, I think you are going to be really happy with your new Pre, especially with the web browser.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I've gone the other way and much prefer the 9700.

I see Palm's innovations with webOS as mostly having to do with the decision to disregard battery power and throw a graphically intensive UI over the phone. I don't believe they have actually solved a problem here, just shifted it around in a way that's pleasing to the eyes.

Interesting. I've been back & forth about getting a Tour2 or Pixi. I know, 2 different animals. BB is the messaging phone, Pixi is the multimedia phone.

I had a Samsung Moment for 2 weeks a bit ago and while I liked Android and loved the Market, I found doing simple things like calling from a contact was tedious.

After my first touch screen experience with the Moment, I though that BB was the way to go. Though now I keep having 2nd thoughts and am constantly scanning this site. Anyway, truth be told the instant email is great with BB, but after using one for so long, it does seem a boring.

Whats worse, Price is not an issue as work pays for the phone and service; my upgrade eligibility became active in Nov. I can choose anything Sprint sells.

I do need a reliable phone first, One that can make and receive calls. After that, I'm not on BES, I just use my personal gmail with my phone, so I dont know.

I've played with the Pixi in the store but on a very limited basis, I've even download and played with the SDK/Emulator from Palm extensively, but still am not certain which way to go here.

I guess if the Tour 2 was out already I'd have made my decision already.. any comments?
    Anybody who decides to make the jump from a BB to a Palm Pre/Pixi will definitely be impressed. The difference in the web browsing experience alone is enough to have any BB user smiling from ear to ear. Not to mention the most beautifully designed mobile OS I've ever used. WELCOME!!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    i am a BB Tour user on VZW while upgrade date of 2/1. Right now the plan is to get a Pre Plus but still on the fence. My rank order is Pre Plus---> Droid ---> BB Storm 2. Guess I'll have to wait to see how it all turns out using the 30 day return policy. BTW...I am 50+ years old and primaily a traveling business user, but own my phone. I really want a good web browsing experience with my smartphone and ability to play games as I kill alot of airplane time, etc. That said, phone calls and email are still top priorities and the email system adminstrator at work carries a Sprint Pre and likes it, said our company email works well with it. But he said if he was me he would get a Droid.
    Pre vs Droid

Web Browser...Pre

Games...Pre

Email...Pre

Call quality...Tie

in ur case...WINNER=Pre

coming from an ex Android user...
    You're my new best friend. Welcome to WebOS community! We always LOVE to make this family larger! Also, stick around precentral.net EVERY DAY. These guys give so much news (and interesting) that i do not even know if they do anything else in the day
    I must say I was a crackberry addict, I learned everything about it. I influenced many people to buy it. The problem with each blackberry I boght was the browser was horrible, the resolution was horrible and all the menu's were horrible. The worst thing on the blackberry was the trackball, I broke 5 of them. I have owned many palm units and loved them. I got my upgrade with sprint and bought the tour and although it was better then the curve it didn't change much. I broke the trackball in 2 months. That was it. I bought the Pre and never looked back. I love everything about it. The resolution is awesome. The pre community is amazing. I love being a part of it as it grows. I love all the patches, the themes etc. Online experience is more than amazing. I have 6 kids and must multitask all the time and my phone lets me do it well. I am a bit annoyed that verizon will be getting the pre with more memory when I think all phones should come with more memory. I still love my pre, wouldn't change my mind phone for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    At various times I have had work-issued RIM devices (going back to the non-phone variety). Messaging is great. And granted the one on my hip right now is an extremely outdated 7xxx of some variety, but I am just not enamored of it as a personal use device.

I completely understand businesses issuing blackberrys but.. I just don't get why people use them as their personal phone.
    The 7xxx is so ancient that you can't really draw any conclusions about a modern Blackberry from it. Those devices had trackwheels (trackballs are being phased out) extremely low res screens, and very slow data connections.

I have a work Blackberry much more modern than yours (a curve 8300) and recently bought a Bold 9700 for personal use. My reasons were:

1) Its a great phone, much better than my Treo and Centros.
    2) Its a great messaging device, better than just about any other device.
    3) Now PalmOS is gone, it has the best built in PIM software of any smartphone
    4) Full desktop syncing support including 3rd party plugins (e.g. eWallet)
    5) Great multi-tasking
    6) Its really really fast.
    You are on pretty much the same page as I am. I have used 7 different Sprint/Nextel Blackberry Smartphones (7100i, 8703e, 8130, 8830, 8330, 8350i, Tour 9630), and while I loved the solid email, and Profiles that let you set ringtones to a science, there was something missing.
    About a month after buying my Tour, I got the opportunity to try a Pre. Reluctantly, I put it on my second phone number, and used it as my main source for data. After 3 days, it was on my main line. The browser blows even the Tour away, I love not always needing to have my Exchange email telling me there is something to look at, but my Gmail account still can. Preware is one of the most amazing programs for tweaking the device to your specific needs!
    I still REALLY miss Profiles, Battery life, and the best keyboards on the market, but for me, what was gained was well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Do they still use the Blackberry web on BB devices? When I had my BB Storm it was really slow, blew me away how fast the internet was on Pre when I first used it.
    I quit using my bb browser . I just wait to find a computer. to slow and not web os like. I looked at my brother in laws pre a week ago and was blown away at the browser looks just like the iphone.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The 7xxx is so ancient that you can't really draw any conclusions about a modern Blackberry from it. Those devices had trackwheels (trackballs are being phased out) extremely low res screens, and very slow data connections.

I have a work Blackberry much more modern than yours (a curve 8300) and recently bought a Bold 9700 for personal use. My reasons were:

1) Its a great phone, much better than my Treo and Centros.
    2) Its a great messaging device, better than just about any other device.
    3) Now PalmOS is gone, it has the best built in PIM software of any smartphone
    4) Full desktop syncing support including 3rd party plugins (e.g. eWallet)
    5) Great multi-tasking
    6) Its really really fast.
    I am getting upgraded to a Curve RSN.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSJACKSON View Post
    The problem with each blackberry I boght was the browser was horrible, the resolution was horrible and all the menu's were horrible. The worst thing on the blackberry was the trackball, I broke 5 of them. I have owned many palm units and loved them. I got my upgrade with sprint and bought the tour and although it was better then the curve it didn't change much. I broke the trackball in 2 months. That was it. I bought the Pre and never looked back. I love everything about it. The resolution is awesome.
    Two points:

1) The resolution of the Tour and Bold 9700 screens is higher than the resolution of the Pre screen (and Pixi of course).

2) Trackballs are being phased out in favor of touch pads. Having said that, I have never broken the trackball on my work curve, neither has my wife on her's.
    Lets not turn this into a blackberry vs palm flame war. Both phones have there places. If your main reason for a phone is a stable operating system for text , email and don't really have a need for apps the blackberry is a good choice. If you are looking for a phone that a great web browser, music and more apps with a great UI then Palm is your device. I personally think there are people who get into a blackberry from a feature phone start buying some apps then realize what great web browsing and apps are all about and look for a more consumerist device like a pre, iphone, android etc. Then there are those who go for the pre/iphone/android and realize they just need the messaging and the rest is a waste of there time. Blackberry would be more for them. We all have to admit blackberry has come along way from where they are but until they overhaul the OS they won't reach the larger Iphone like market. I think Rim just brings in small OS changes to each new phone because the OS just works for what its main job is messaging. Just like the Palm OS did for me from the first palm pilot to my Palm tx over 3 years ago.
    I feel Rim is getting to that point like Palm OS did a couple of years ago its time to redo the whole OS or just keep tweeking a stable OS and keep going after that business user/messaging market.
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    If your main reason for a phone is a stable operating system for text , email and don't really have a need for apps the blackberry is a good choice. If you are looking for a phone that a great web browser, music and more apps with a great UI then Palm is your device.
    Currently RIM's OS has many more apps available than WebOS (including a full implementation of DocsToGo). It also has a better built in media player. What it doesn't have is a decent web browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    Lets not turn this into a blackberry vs palm flame war. Both phones have there places. If your main reason for a phone is a stable operating system for text , email and don't really have a need for apps the blackberry is a good choice. If you are looking for a phone that a great web browser, music and more apps with a great UI then Palm is your device. I personally think there are people who get into a blackberry from a feature phone start buying some apps then realize what great web browsing and apps are all about and look for a more consumerist device like a pre, iphone, android etc. Then there are those who go for the pre/iphone/android and realize they just need the messaging and the rest is a waste of there time. Blackberry would be more for them. We all have to admit blackberry has come along way from where they are but until they overhaul the OS they won't reach the larger Iphone like market. I think Rim just brings in small OS changes to each new phone because the OS just works for what its main job is messaging. Just like the Palm OS did for me from the first palm pilot to my Palm tx over 3 years ago.
    I feel Rim is getting to that point like Palm OS did a couple of years ago its time to redo the whole OS or just keep tweeking a stable OS and keep going after that business user/messaging market.
    I was right there with you until you made the comment about how the iPhone has a larger market. Not sure if many people realize this but RIM has almost twice the market share that the iPhone has, so I think they are doing alright in terms of reaching customers, and close to 50% of RIM's new customers are personal users as opposed to business users. Additionally I think that many people don't give RIM enough credit for their music apps. There are way more music apps for the Blackberry than the Pre, plus the Blackberry has expandable memory enabling even greater music storage than the Pre.

But as you said, the choice in devices all boils down to what you as the customer plan on using the device for. Me personally, I am a messaging junkie and that is the reason I have a Blackberry. I look forward to multi-platform apps such as Beejive or IM+ being released for the Pre because they will certainly improve the IMing aspect of the Pre. I just hope that those people who are on the fence are able to use some of our insight to help them in deciding which device is the best fit for them.
    My Mom had various Treos (Palm OS) over the years, which she liked, but she kept having problems with email. The Verizon rep recommended BB for its email prowess, so she got a Curve last year.

Bottom line is, she says that email does work flawlessly...but she hates everything else about the device! She's been counting the days until she is eligible for an upgrade, and this week she's getting a Pre Plus.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast