Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Pixi is overall great...except for the usb door...
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    It's a great phone and all but it is supposed to be the lower-end product in Palm's lineup.. And I missed the whole point of calling it a girls phone, unless you're just insecure about the name of it. And at that point, I think you have bigger issues to deal with...
    Well, in my house, the Pixi has been renamed 'Palm Rambo'...its a running joke, but it works!

And...I'm happy to report I'm getting used to it. Its a heavy learning curve going from 'managing' a WinMob OS device...to just allowing it to work ie WebOS.

I've had a number of disconnection issues from the Palm App Store - 'Try your request again later' when browsing the catalog, and my voice calls have a heavy crackling to them...so I need to watch that.

I'm a bit annoyed that it tells me 1/2 through launching an app, that I need to close cards...like its not managing it memory very well, but again, that's me applying WinMob bias to this device I think.

Regardless, I'll keep using it and see how I feel in a week.
    Re vera, potas bene.
    Will be switching to a Pixi soon as well.
    For those Google Contacts users out there, will the Pixi recognize Last Name, First Name format (which all my contacts are in Google) or do they need to be First Name Last Name?
    I want the transition to go as smooth as possible,
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    Will be switching to a Pixi soon as well.
    For those Google Contacts users out there, will the Pixi recognize Last Name, First Name format (which all my contacts are in Google) or do they need to be First Name Last Name?
    I want the transition to go as smooth as possible,
    Thanks
    itll do last name first or even company name.
    I can report with confidence that I am slowly leaving the WinMob world behind...2 days of use, the battery seems to be coming to live, I've turned off some of the constant-connected features that were killing it, and I'm really starting to like it.

I need to take some kind of web training on all the ways to use WebOS, but slowly its coming to life...and I like it!

I do love how small it is.

I think the 'restart' option has helped. I was down to 1 card being too much for it, once I restarted it, it really has settled back into being usable again. No regrets now...I'm keeping it.

Thanks guys!
    Re vera, potas bene.
    Quote Originally Posted by mec31 View Post
    The Pixi is overall great...except for the usb door...
    I love the battery door. I've had devices in the past where the darn little door just wouldn't stay shut and I just wanted to rip it off. So the fact that this one stays closed is awesome. It may be a little hard to open at first but it's really easy now that I'm used to it.
    If you don't require WiFi, ability to take low lighting pictures or have the urge to create your own virtual Sims world from a cellular phone then I suggest the Pixi (coming from someone who owns both a Pixi and Pre!).
  8. puggo63
    Really it depends on your needs and what you use your phone for. Both the Pre and Pixi are not for everyone and I always believed these phones were designed for us gadget freaks who love to tweak our toys since both these phones are very tweakable. I was in the Sprint store this past weekend and the Palm (Pre and Pixi too) phones already had dust on them (for real!) so that shows you these phones do not have mass market appeal lol - well this is just my opinion anyways.
  9.    #29  
    i got it today! i was amazed at how thin and light it was! i was expecting it to look like my Treo pro :/ But anyways this phone is just great! it turned out to be just i like it thought it would be. When My Brother and Dad saw it They were amazed(they both have the g1) Overall i havent seen any problems i just wish the mini usb port was at the bottom :] Not regretting getting it over the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontbes View Post
    i got it today! i was amazed at how thin and light it was! i was expecting it to look like my Treo pro :/ But anyways this phone is just great! it turned out to be just i like it thought it would be. When My Brother and Dad saw it They were amazed(they both have the g1) Overall i havent seen any problems i just wish the mini usb port was at the bottom :] Not regretting getting it over the pre.
    Welcome to the WebOS commnity
    Whatever you do, get the touchstone and leave the usb door behind (for the most part).
    Quote Originally Posted by dorelse View Post
    Well, in my house, the Pixi has been renamed 'Palm Rambo'...its a running joke, but it works!

And...I'm happy to report I'm getting used to it. Its a heavy learning curve going from 'managing' a WinMob OS device...to just allowing it to work ie WebOS.

I've had a number of disconnection issues from the Palm App Store - 'Try your request again later' when browsing the catalog, and my voice calls have a heavy crackling to them...so I need to watch that.

I'm a bit annoyed that it tells me 1/2 through launching an app, that I need to close cards...like its not managing it memory very well, but again, that's me applying WinMob bias to this device I think.

Regardless, I'll keep using it and see how I feel in a week.
    Thats great to hear! I tried getting my sister onto a Pixi but she really wanted a Hero since it was an all touchscreen phone. I might buy one in the future(that's wifi enabled) just as a backup phone, since I really do like the form factor it has.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Palm Pixi's form factor and keyboard PWNS Pre..
    this is my opinion after testing out both units during my first 30 days.

Pre is faster indeed but not much.. this is something that i realized after using both phones for 2 weeks solid each. also check out those vids that shows the performance..

BUT if u multi-task, pre can multi-task like no one's *****.. pixi LAGS after 3 - 4 cards!!

I ended up becoming a Pixiehead instead of Pretard even with the flaws (as for the nicks, i learned it from a sprint rep at a local store- go fig :P ). Why cuz i rather have the keyboard right there like a standard palm treo device that i so loved. I hated the flip design of the pre and some quality of the phone parts (on/off ringer switch, powerbutton, etc). Screen itself was beautiful but form factor and keyboard of the pixi suited me. I type on the pixi every day, texting and emailing. The buttons are all laid out without giving much effort or flipping or holding it in an awkward position.

In the end though, it comes down to your choice, both phones are quite good.

If u are a power user and like 3D gaming, downloading intensive apps by all means get the PRE. It is faster..

If u are a standard user that emails and text and checks web so often and do some light gaming, get the Pixi.

Pixi should get better as it shoots along all the carriers this year.. can't wait!
    I love my Pixi and I LOVE the Homebrew community! I highly suggest it if you haven't tried it yet...the risks are worth the reward in my opinion.
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    I'm excited to get mine. They go on sale the 25th and I already have 4 of the Touchstone pucks, chargers for both car and home as well as the touchstone back and screen protectors. I can't wait to get mine and start downloading apps.

Rob
    I can say, that on day 3, I'm really seeing the beauty of this device. Works great, very solid. I purchased a used Pre last night, when that arrives, I'll switch it over so that I can compare and then make my decision based on that...I can't imagine moving off of the Pixi now that I've got it figured out.

Homebrew...I've tried it, but all I get is an error that says I need to make more room? I've got 6gb free yet.

I need to do some forum searching on that error...
    Re vera, potas bene.
    hey all! On day 1 of my pixi, coming from a trusty & VERY durable Treo 755p.

i really like it. gf has the Pre, but I <3 the candbar form factor
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I was at the sprint store yesterday buying a touchstone and I played with the pixi for a bit. While I still prefer my pre, I did like the 'clickyness' of the pixi's keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorelse View Post
    I can say, that on day 3, I'm really seeing the beauty of this device. Works great, very solid. I purchased a used Pre last night, when that arrives, I'll switch it over so that I can compare and then make my decision based on that...I can't imagine moving off of the Pixi now that I've got it figured out.

Homebrew...I've tried it, but all I get is an error that says I need to make more room? I've got 6gb free yet.

I need to do some forum searching on that error...
    Are you on 1.3.5? If you are then you shouldn't normally have this problem. Go to the Updates app and check for any. Or you could go to Device Menu and see there (under 'Version'). I believe it should be Palm webOS 1.3.5.1 for the Pixi. You might want to look at the available memory left which right above the version.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Are you on 1.3.5? If you are then you shouldn't normally have this problem. Go to the Updates app and check for any. Or you could go to Device Menu and see there (under 'Version'). I believe it should be Palm webOS 1.3.5.1 for the Pixi. You might want to look at the available memory left which right above the version.
    Thanks Rennat.

I'm on 1.3.5.1 w/6.7GB available.

I'm happy with the device as is, so I'm happy right now. I did want to try a few tweaks, but if I can't, I'm happy with it.
    Re vera, potas bene.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast