Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    to all of you who say the pixi in an "entry level device" please grow up and try to learn a little about it. if you would read both the pixi and pre will be getting the final flash version next month. the pre only gets the beta right now. all 3d games and this sling player will come to the pixi in time. the pixi is no slower than the pre and it can do the same things. as a matter a fact it's actually faster at loading everything than the bulky pre is. ive owned both and i know hands on.

it makes sense that palms 1st gen webos phone gets the beta and apps first. then the 2nd gen gets it a bit later.

and yes i understand the pixi has a slower processor but it is by no means a slow device.
    Last edited by fixxxer1022; 01/09/2010 at 07:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    to all of you who say the pixi in an "entry level device" please grow up and try to learn a little about it. if you would read both the pixi and pre will be getting the final flash version next month. the pre only gets the beta right now. all 3d games and this sling player will come to the pixi in time. the pixi is no slower than the pre and it can do the same things. as a matter a fact it's actually faster at loading everything than the bulky pre is. ive owned both and i know hands on.

it makes sense that palms 1st gen webos phone gets the beta and apps first. then the 2nd gen gets it a bit later.

and yes i understand the pixi has a slower processor but it is by no means a slow device.

Pixi is def. an entry level device. Seems like you took an offense to that, seeing as you took a shot at the "bulky" pre.

Palms own blog called it an entry level device.

BTW, both pixi and pre are 1st gen. The pixi isn't 2nd gen hardware.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by youslippin View Post
    Pixi is def. an entry level device. Seems like you took an offense to that, seeing as you took a shot at the "bulky" pre.

Palms own blog called it an entry level device
    funny as my pixi seems no slower and can handle everything my pre did. im not dissing the pre but it far more "bulky" than the pixi. the pixi's design is far superior. i just read that the pixi's cpu is the same as the iphone 3g so yes it can handle gaming. plus the gpu of the pixi is suppose to be better than the iphone and we all know there are a ton of games for the iphone.

do a bit more reading as the BOTH the pre and pixi will get the final flash. the 3d games will come to the pixi a bit later which doesn't bother me as im no gamer, especially on a mobile device. pointless IMO anyways. im just making a point here that the pixi needs to stop being called a "inferior, cheap pre knockoff".

also this "the pixi is for women and teens" is a load of crap too. i keep reading that on the net.
    I believe Rubenstein even called it entry level at CES. It's really not an insult to your intelligence or smartphone-iness...entry level simply means it's an appropriate device for someone coming from a feature phone....not that it's ONLY for them.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I believe Rubenstein even called it entry level at CES. It's really not an insult to your intelligence or smartphone-iness...entry level simply means it's an appropriate device for someone coming from a feature phone....not that it's ONLY for them.
    call it what they may, myself and im sure alot of other pixi owners still disagree. im coming from winmo and pocket pc's and there is nothing my device can't do that winmo could.
    call it what they may, myself and im sure alot of other pixi owners still disagree. im coming from winmo and pocket pc's and there is nothing my device can't do that winmo could.
    Video recording, wifi, 3D gaming, and flash?
  7.    #7  
    Video recording, wifi, 3D gaming, and flash?
    the pixi is getting flash and video recording too. we just have to wait for the games. i could care a less about wifi as i have never used it even on winmo. jesus man im not here to argue, you like your pre and ill love my pixi. in the end it's still a webos device and we all know webos in the future will be competing with android which atm seems to be dominating the market.
    Yep, it's entry level.

Now one could argue that the idea of an "entry level" device is stupid. I would. Especially if the so called higher end costs roughly the same.

Why?

Because the OS is the same. Because the data plans are the same cost. What is appealing to a new user to get a phone that doesn't do pics that well, is slower, doesn't have wifi, or won't get certain features?

It's even more ridiculous when this "starter" phone isn't priced that low. Many xmas sales had the Pre lower at 79 - 99 dollars.

Why would a company want new users starting out on a gimped device getting a gimped experience?

Ruby announced at CES that the Pixi is perfect for those new smartphone users. Why? WebOS isn't complicated. Is there something that makes the Pixi easier to use than the Pre?

Rather than aim at beginners or low price points, aim at segments that might prefer a particular form factor. The Pixi is small and cute and will come in different colors. That's a general audience not just teens. Fine. But spec it up. Form factor differentiates it. This same audience won't care if it costs a few bucks less.

The Pre's appeal is its larger higher rez screen. Even if the Pixi had the same guts, there's many that would want the Pre's larger screen. That's enough, imo, of a differentiation. I wouldn't buy a specced up Pixi because i need a bigger screen...its that simple.

One could even argue that by calling it an entry level device or a starter device, that they're killing potential sales. Noone wants to brag about owning a starter device or be considered entry level.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/09/2010 at 08:21 AM.
    the pixi is getting flash and video recording too. we just have to wait for the games. i could care a less about wifi as i have never used it even on winmo. jesus man im not here to argue, you like your pre and ill love my pixi. in the end it's still a webos device and we all know webos in the future will be competing with android which atm seems to be dominating the market.
    Actually, I was just teasing - nobody has said that the Pixi isn't a good device. I think you take the term "entry level" too seriously. It's entry level because Palm has decided that it it, and marketed it as such. It really isn't designed as an insult to Pixi owners, and there's far more important things to stress about.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    funny as my pixi seems no slower and can handle everything my pre did. im not dissing the pre but it far more "bulky" than the pixi. the pixi's design is far superior. i just read that the pixi's cpu is the same as the iphone 3g so yes it can handle gaming. plus the gpu of the pixi is suppose to be better than the iphone and we all know there are a ton of games for the iphone.

do a bit more reading as the BOTH the pre and pixi will get the final flash. the 3d games will come to the pixi a bit later which doesn't bother me as im no gamer, especially on a mobile device. pointless IMO anyways. im just making a point here that the pixi needs to stop being called a "inferior, cheap pre knockoff".

also this "the pixi is for women and teens" is a load of crap too. i keep reading that on the net.

Don't know why you're taking this so offensive..

The pixi does NOT have the same chip as the iphone.. the Pre does, and I believe the droid has the same chip as well. Where are you reading that the "gpu of the pixi is supposed to be better than the iphone"? seriously now it just sounds like you're making things up. I love the pixi, bought one for my mother..
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    If you get insulted by term "entry level", then How about "pixi"
    I don't care what they call it. Unless you need wifi or a bigger screen , the pixi is actually better than the pre.
  12.    #12  
    Actually, I was just teasing - nobody has said that the Pixi isn't a good device. I think you take the term "entry level" too seriously. It's entry level because Palm has decided that it it, and marketed it as such. It really isn't designed as an insult to Pixi owners, and there's far more important things to stress about.
    it's all good bro. im just glad ill be getting video and flash next month. wifi and gaming don't mean much to me. i would like a bigger screen but again i chose the pixi because of the form factor and great design. bottom line is anything is better than winmo.
    unless you need speed or 3d games or even a flash
    Last edited by 063_xobx; 01/09/2010 at 08:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    If the Pixi offers more than an entry level device then Palm is simply raising the bar which is great for consumers. The fact remains it is an entry level device and the Pre is their flagship device as defined by Palm.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    unless you need speed or 3d games or even flash
    dude, we are getting flash next month. didn't you read? only the pre is getting the beta but both get flash next month as planned. it's the gaming that will have to wait for developers.
    CAMERA flash
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    CAMERA flash
    omg no man, you better do some more reading.

Lastly, Engadget reported that Palm announced the rather major news that all webOS devices would be getting video recording and Flash 10.1 during February. The upgrades will come as a part of webOS 1.4, featuring video emailing, MMS, Facebook integration and the ability to upload to YouTube.
    omg no man, you better do some more reading.
    maybe you should do more reading.. im still waiting for you to tell me where did you read that the pixi has the same chipset as the iphone and it's gpu is better than the iphone..
    alright looked it up it does have a camera flash idk where i read it didnt
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by youslippin View Post
    Don't know why you're taking this so offensive..

The pixi does NOT have the same chip as the iphone.. the Pre does, and I believe the droid has the same chip as well. Where are you reading that the "gpu of the pixi is supposed to be better than the iphone"? seriously now it just sounds like you're making things up. I love the pixi, bought one for my mother..
    ummm i just read that the pixi has the same cpu as the iphone 3g.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast