Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    So if they are not developed for the device, the pixi cannot run them.
    As it stands now, they are not developed for the device. I know, I have a pixi! There are more apps than just nfs and golf that show up on the pre and not the pixi...

Right. But I think people misunderstood the OP's gripe.

My issue isn't that Palm is putting the "goods" on the Pre first. The Pre is their flagship device. I get that, and understand it.

I just would have liked Rubenstein to acknowledge that in time, advanced features would eventually come to to the Pixi, and not completely ignore the devices user base.

I imagine that despite the OP's intial anger, he basically felt the way I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    Right. But I think people misunderstood the OP's gripe.

My issue isn't that Palm is putting the "goods" on the Pre first. The Pre is their flagship device. I get that, and understand it.

I just would have liked Rubenstein to acknowledge that in time, advanced features would eventually come to to the Pixi, and not completely ignore the devices user base.

I imagine that despite the OP's intial anger, he basically felt the way I do.
    Ok. But it been well documented by the press, see the link to the PC Mag interview and various other sites such as Engadget that the Pixi will see these advanced features. The Pixi will have it's own PDK and it will do flash. So I don't understand why folks are still complaining that the Pixi isn't getting what the Pre is. Is the Pixi getting it at the same time as the Pre? No! But it will see those features.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Pixi is currently entry level for WebOS platforms but toward other devices it could be a Cadillac for a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I bought my son a Pixi for Xmas because he wanted a phone like Dad's Pre that he could swipe. I was able to play with the phone for a week or so before he got it and I have to say that Im kinda upset that the Pixi hasnt gotten the love it deserved. I got it for $25 at Best Buy when the salesman said he would price match Walmart online. Calling it an Entry level phone doesnt do it justice because dumbphones have nothing on the Pixi. I was thinking I was getting him something totally different from the Pre and it really isnt much different. Yeah maybe in the specs its different, but in function didnt really see to much of a difference. My daughter has the Rumor 2 and my ex has the LG Lotus and the Pixi out performs both those phones. Even my old Diamond cant really compete with the Pixi. I paid full price for my Pre on day 1 and to see the Pixi at $25, I was like ***!. Maybe its entry level in WebOS but its not where near an entry phone. My son loves the phone and all his little friends are hating on him because he has a cooler phone than their clamshell phones. The only thing that keeps me from getting a Pixi is the smaller screen. I like the Pixi and think its an swesome phone and not just a beginner phone either.
    The Pixi is an entry level webOS device. I bought one for my wife two days ago and played with it in Best Buy while setting up the Palm profile, getting 1.3.5.1 installed, email accounts set up, Facebook synced, etc and I see why it is consider entry level for webOS.

Notice I didn't say entry level phone, or entry level smartphone, but I did say entry level webOS. The smaller screen is good for someone who doesn't want or need to type long emails, manage a VERY busy corporate/business schedule, spend a ton of time on the nonmobile optimized web, etc but still wants the Palm webOS experience of synergy, the App Catalog, and everything else still to come for us.

Which phone you go with really depends on your needs. I think the Pixi can probably handle the graphics load from the 3d games since that seems to be the big complaint, but would the games look good on the shorter screen? I really wouldn't be able to make a call on that without seeing it.
    The smaller screen is good for someone who doesn't want or need to type long emails,
    IMO, this point is just plain wrong. Typing a long email with the Pixi is actually easier, because the keyboard is far more superior than the keyboard on the Pre. You don't actually have to worry about checking the screen constantly because the mistakes are few and far between. With the Pre, I was constantly hitting the lip with the top level of keys. Completely frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    IMO, this point is just plain wrong. Typing a long email with the Pixi is actually easier, because the keyboard is far more superior than the keyboard on the Pre. You don't actually have to worry about checking the screen constantly because the mistakes are few and far between. With the Pre, I was constantly hitting the lip with the top level of keys. Completely frustrating.
    Prolly one of those YRMV moments. I don't think I've ever hit the lip on the top or bottom of the keyboard when typing a long or short email on my Pre. It really boils down to personal tastes between the two phones and how Palm has decided to market the device.
    You pretty much have to be crazy to think the Pre has a better keyboard.
    I'm in sales and have an extensive contact list and manage a busy calendar. Surgies, sales calls, dinners, running product and instruments, and I teach some fitness classes on the side and keep track of my practices for paddling, running, biking etc. I have an exchange account along with three other web email accounts. I write painfully long emails and texts. I surf non mobile sites all the time, but even while I had my Pre and on my Moment I still prefer mobile sites because most of the time I care about the content and not all of the fluff and formatting. I do a lot of pdf viewing since I do online faxing. So your take is a lot of bunk. And I'm sure I can bang out a four paragraph email a lot quicker on my pixi than anyone can on the Pre. The keyboard is clearly superior.

Games and media do not a smartphone make. And I haven't found a situation yet that I longed for the big screen. The instant access of the form factor is key. And outside of the slightest bit of lag compared to the Pre in some cases, it's done everything I ask of it. I wouldn't use the Pre if I was given one for free. Smaller, lighter, very capable and a fixed keyboard that's much better than the one on the Pre Plus by a longshot. The Pixi is is just fine and falls victim to Palm's p*ss poor marketing and bad decision making in not putting the same internals in both phones, plain and simple. MS. Has the right idea for phone hardware requirements. Palm should have followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    Notice I didn't say entry level phone, or entry level smartphone, but I did say entry level webOS. The smaller screen is good for someone who doesn't want or need to type long emails, manage a VERY busy corporate/business schedule, spend a ton of time on the nonmobile optimized web, etc but still wants the Palm webOS experience of synergy, the App Catalog, and everything else still to come for us.

Which phone you go with really depends on your needs. I think the Pixi can probably handle the graphics load from the 3d games since that seems to be the big complaint, but would the games look good on the shorter screen? I really wouldn't be able to make a call on that without seeing it.
    Last edited by crogs571; 04/01/2010 at 10:00 AM.
    guess you don't know how to use your device because my pixi records video just fine. Outside of wifi, I didn't realize the others were smartphone prerequisites. And funny thing about flash, I've had one instance where I realized I didn't have it. Didn't really buy a smartphone to worry about flash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Video recording, wifi, 3D gaming, and flash?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    guess you don't know how to use your device because my pixi records video just fine. Outside of wifi, I didn't realize the others were smartphone prerequisites. And funny thing about flash, I've had one instance where I realized I didn't have it. Didn't really buy a smartphone to worry about flash
    this thread was started before the 1.4 was released so... ya no official video back then..

One note on wifi I wish the sprint pixi had it downloading 1.4 on the wife's took fing forever compared to how quick it was on the my pre. And anyone claiming the pixi runs better and is faster is fooling themselves.
    just realized it was a slightly resurrected thread.

didn't you post the same exact complaint with the last update? Wifi would be nice, but I don't know why you'd babysit the pixi during the update to the point you worry about it taking longer. Didn't really seem to take that long for me though. It's all relative I suppose.

And I don't think anyone said it runs faster and smoother than the Pre. I know I don't notice an appreciable increase in lag compared to a non overclocked Pre, but that's about it. I definitely notice the typing experience being a ton better, and anyone that says different is surely kidding themselves. Even the Pre Plus keyboard sucks. Like typing in oatmeal, pure mush.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    They aren't "smartphone prerequisites", they are features. No one is saying that the Pixi isn't a smartphone. Everyone knows the Pixi isn't as powerful as the Pre, but it's still a great smartphone. Also, the better form factor is a matter of opinion. I love my Pre's form factor and I have no problem with the keyboard
    Having no problem with it is far from 'loving it' which is what most Pixi users say about it and many Pre owners do too when comparing. I haven't seen one post about anyone loving the Pre's keyboard. The words 'adjust' and 'have no problem with' tend to be quite common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I love my Pre's form factor and I have no problem with the keyboard
    honestly, i would have rather got the pre instead of the pixi. but the pre was currently out of my price range. but i do love my pixi. it's amazing.
    as a proud owner of both the pre and the pixi...i prefer the pixi. I love the screen size (yes), the keyboard, the size, the feel, the weight. My only complaint is the speed it is soo slow! BUT THAT WILL CHANGE VERY SOON
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234