Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I doubt Palm ever envisioned the "commodity price" of the Pre would have had to drop as fast as it did. (The reason it had to drop was that WebOS was not really finished at the time they first released the Pre.) With 1.4, it should be at the level of completeness that would have prevented the price degradation. Those are just the facts: the price had to drop too close to an "entry level" device price.

That said, I'm glad to hear people perceiving the pixi as "better than an entry level device". It simply means we have two phones that are better value than their out the door cost. I still think the jury is still in deliberations until we see whether the pixi performs comparably when running Flash apps. (I think this is where you will see the Pre shine.) The pixi will definitely slower at running GPU based apps.

Personally I like the form factor of the Pixi better than the Pre. A pixi with a bigger screen and WiFi would be ideal (at least in my opinion). A agree with the other poster who said that more WebOS devices are good and that we should not be dissing anyone who helps create a bigger market for our chosen platform.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Super excited. I just ordered my entry level pixi and hope to contribute to the forum with my experiences. The pixi will indeed serve to get my feet wet in webOS and determine if i make a full switch from the iphone platform when att gets webOS devices. wewt!
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    @flixxer - shut up already. you seem to just want to argue.
    no i absolutely will not shut up, this is a message board, im a palm owner and ill state my opinion. pretty funny how the pre and pixi owners fight with each other on here. as i said i don't care about 3d gaming, im just glad were getting everything you pre owners are. i think the pixi is considered "entry" becuase it has no wifi, honestly ive never even used wifi on any of my winmo pocket pc's so again i could care a less.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I doubt Palm ever envisioned the "commodity price" of the Pre would have had to drop as fast as it did. (The reason it had to drop was that WebOS was not really finished at the time they first released the Pre.) With 1.4, it should be at the level of completeness that would have prevented the price degradation.
    agreed when i first saw webos in action myself and many others wanted to jump ship from winmo and we said it was the iphone killer. too bad it didn't really take off like it should have. palm really fixed some design mistakes from the pre with the pixi but left out wifi and a larger lcd. but i think 1.4 is a step in the right direction for both phones and honestly im glad palm will have multi-carriers now. maybe we can finally get back int he game and be competitive with android.
    Just because two processors run at the same clock speed does not mean they're equally powerful - as someone posted a few entries back the Pixi Does have a less powerful processor.

Pixi:
    Smaller screen
    No WiFi
    Slower processor
    Worse camera
    Cheaper to buy

Considering Palm's range consists of two devices, where one is clearly more powerful than the other then yes it's fair to call the Pixi entry level.

The Pre is their flagship device, everyone knew that the Pixi would be less powerful before and after its release. I can't understand why people the OP is so angry.
    He's angry for the same reasons I'm dissapointed. I knew going in the device didn't have wifi. That was no big deal for me. What bothers me is that it seems Palm is ignoring the Pixi user base.

Sure, the Pre has better specs. But it's not like it's (the Pixi) chopped liver. It can handle flash and gaming. That being said, Palm does only have 1000 or so employees. Sure, they have to concetrate on their flagship device, even if that devices build quality is absolutely atrocious. I mean seriously crap.

I would have just hoped that while the terribly built Pre was getting the good stuff first, Palm would have said "Down the line, Pixi owners."

For some of us, build quality and form factor are important. Some of us don't want crickety phones with oreo effect and faulty charging port covers. Some of us don't want to go through multiple phone returns.

Some of us just enjoy WebOS and want to be supported as customers.

At the end of the day, Ruby really only had to say "We're on it"...
    Last edited by JDGAFFLIN; 01/10/2010 at 12:31 PM.
    I believe most Pre owners don't have any hardware issues. I personally haven't had a problem with build quality at all.
    How does the pixi plus change the argument? 8MB and WIFI. I currently own a Droid Eris on Verizon and am considering the switch to WebOS as I'm more than disappointed with Android. I'm a Treo owner in the past and like the form factor of the pixi, but am leaning towards the screen real estate offered by the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanc2 View Post
    How does the pixi plus change the argument? 8MB and WIFI. I currently own a Droid Eris on Verizon and am considering the switch to WebOS as I'm more than disappointed with Android. I'm a Treo owner in the past and like the form factor of the pixi, but am leaning towards the screen real estate offered by the pre.
    Pixi Plus only gets wifi. nothing else changed.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    I think the pixi is a great device. I have a pre and love it but I can see why someone would go for the pixi. I think the name and the hardware take away some of the intimidation factor the Pre has.

My wife just said to me a few days ago that she really wants a Pixi. She has never owned a smart phone before. Her previous phone was a candybar text messaging dumbphone.

Palm really is gearing this phone towards woman who would otherwise not consider a smartphone. I think that was really clever of them and the fact that they snagged my wife without me suggesting her get one - really speaks volumes to me.

All that said, the Pixi is a very powerful phone in its own right so I don't knock it at all on that front. It's "entry level" on in the sense that it has appeal to entry level smartphone users who are intimidated by all the Android devices like the Droid.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    THe pixi is still a lower end device to the Pre. Palm even says it's a good for a person's first smartphone.

I'd like to see a big brother to the pixi (same candybar design) but with a 320x480 screen and better specs.

The games on the pre won't be trivial to design for the pixi - they were designed for the iphone which is a resolution of 320x480 and I don't see them recoding the game just for the pixi anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    to all of you who say the pixi in an "entry level device" please grow up and try to learn a little about it. if you would read both the pixi and pre will be getting the final flash version next month. the pre only gets the beta right now. all 3d games and this sling player will come to the pixi in time. the pixi is no slower than the pre and it can do the same things. as a matter a fact it's actually faster at loading everything than the bulky pre is. ive owned both and i know hands on.

it makes sense that palms 1st gen webos phone gets the beta and apps first. then the 2nd gen gets it a bit later.

and yes i understand the pixi has a slower processor but it is by no means a slow device.
    Rishi O.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I know you Pixi guys/girls are a bit upset about being put on the backburner for now, but trying so hard to make your phone seem better then it is is further embarrassing. You just have to sit back and wait. Can your phone handle games? I'm sure it can. After all, it is comparable to the last model of the iphones (3G). But, Palm isn't making games for you guys at the moment (Screen resolution differences between the Pixi and iphone game ports definitely does not help). Is that the right choice for Palm to make? I wish I could say 'no'; But because of the many differences between the Pre and Pixi hardware, the only logical thing to do was develop on one platform (the Pre). Why waste time basically doing the same thing twice, when they could focus on the flagship device and have more things to show at CES?

As far as the Pixi being the "entry level" device, it is. Palm said it is. Not that being entry level is really a bad thing. The Pixi is a Pre with lower performance parts. It's the same kind of thing with cars. Let's use a Chevy Camaro as an example. The Pre is the top of the line, souped-up Camaro SS model. The Pixi is the six-cylinder base model. One obviously has much better performance and is more fun to drive than the other, but the person who bought the six-cylinder base model bought it because that was all he/she needs.

Everyone had access to a good deal of info about specifications for the Pre and Pixi before they purchased them. If you bought a Pixi hoping it would be just as nice as the Pre, that's your mistake. But I'm sure you Pixi guys will get your fair share of games as well.

FYI, I'm a Pre owner. Never had a Pixi and I'm not upset.

I just find it silly that the Pixi is considered entry-level or that it will make a good first-time smartphone when there is nothing at all that can be done easier on the Pixi than on the Pre.

Your analogy should be more like comparing the standard Corvette with a Z06, the base model would not be considered 'entry-level' in the sense that Palm calls the Pixi 'entry-level'. Yes, one may not perform as much as the other, but the difference is marginal. The 'base' model still hauls a** and has the power seats (just not 10 ways).

It's all a marketing ruse. If you tell people (or sheeple) "this is entry-level" then they will believe it and won't be as intimidated with their purchase; this in the end is what Palm wants. What in God's name was the difference between the Centro and the 755P? The answer is marketing. It's not the engineers at Palm that are calling the Pixi entry-level. Just because Palm says 'entry-level' doesn't mean so. Palm said the same thing about the Centro.
    Last edited by RafRol; 01/11/2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Spelling, grammar.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    @RafRol - I agree on every note. I was eyeing a pre closely, and ended up getting a pixi for the smaller form factor and equal features. Can it install and run every app the pre can? Can it be rooted and modded just the same? Does the camera do the same things? Yes, to every question. The only thing lacking is wifi, which honestly I never used when I had my winmo devices other than for novelty purposes. I think this is like comparing netbooks to laptops - sure, the netbooks are smaller and possibly a little bit slower, but at the end of the day you want a simple device for browsing websites and making phonecalls, and they both do equally good at the job. So, whatever, pre owners paid more for slightly larger first gen minorly beefier phones, and soom us pixi owners will be annoyed at the superior hardware, battery life, or form factor or whatever of the next palm device. But they will all run WebOS and do the same thing, in reality everyone more or less has the same phone as far as this forum is concerned.
    The corvette analogy works for me. I too don't believe the Pixi is an "entry level" device, but I do understand it's not as powerfull as the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by labythan View Post
    @RafRol - I agree on every note. I was eyeing a pre closely, and ended up getting a pixi for the smaller form factor and equal features. Can it install and run every app the pre can? Can it be rooted and modded just the same? Does the camera do the same things? Yes, to every question. The only thing lacking is wifi, which honestly I never used when I had my winmo devices other than for novelty purposes. I think this is like comparing netbooks to laptops - sure, the netbooks are smaller and possibly a little bit slower, but at the end of the day you want a simple device for browsing websites and making phonecalls, and they both do equally good at the job. So, whatever, pre owners paid more for slightly larger first gen minorly beefier phones, and soom us pixi owners will be annoyed at the superior hardware, battery life, or form factor or whatever of the next palm device. But they will all run WebOS and do the same thing, in reality everyone more or less has the same phone as far as this forum is concerned.

For the record, the pixi cannot run every app the pre can, and the camera isn't as good. But I agree in terms of the way the phones operate, webOS and such, they are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by crewcabrob View Post
    The corvette analogy works for me. I too don't believe the Pixi is an "entry level" device, but I do understand it's not as powerfull as the Pre.
    I'll agree that the Corvette analogy fits a bit better then the Camaro one (although the new Camaro base model is quite respectable with 300hp ). I'm glad this thread is turning into a civilized conversation tho lol.

<edit>
    Here is a good side by side comparison. I noticed some things were a bit incorrect, but most of it seems right.
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/compare_advresults.php?phones[]=3375&phones[]=3691
    Last edited by Garrett92C; 01/11/2010 at 12:40 PM.
    For the record, the pixi cannot run every app the pre can
    Once again, while the Pixi's processor is certainly not as strong as the Pre's, it's not chopped liver. The Pixi can run the same apps. They just need to be developed for the device, because of the differences.
    So if they are not developed for the device, the pixi cannot run them.
    As it stands now, they are not developed for the device. I know, I have a pixi! There are more apps than just nfs and golf that show up on the pre and not the pixi...
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    to all of you who say the pixi in an "entry level device" please grow up and try to learn a little about it. if you would read both the pixi and pre will be getting the final flash version next month. the pre only gets the beta right now. all 3d games and this sling player will come to the pixi in time. the pixi is no slower than the pre and it can do the same things. as a matter a fact it's actually faster at loading everything than the bulky pre is. ive owned both and i know hands on.

it makes sense that palms 1st gen webos phone gets the beta and apps first. then the 2nd gen gets it a bit later.

and yes i understand the pixi has a slower processor but it is by no means a slow device.
    Keep telling yourself that and eventually you might even believe it!
    Look, we all know that Pixi is a very capable device. Palm wants to position the phone as the go to smartphone for folks new to smartphones. Fine. That is the way they want to market the phone so that it 'appears' to be really diff from the Pre.

Is the Pixi that much diff than the Pre. Probably not when it comes to everyday use.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast