Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    as of right now pre gets all kinds of 3d games, while pixi is left out. i thought i got the same phone with the better form factor. However, pixi does not seem to be getting the same support. the products specs were not made readily available. if i had known pixi OS and hardware were not going to get the same treatment as the pre(whos form factor is crap) i would have paid for something else . i feel as though i was lied to by palm. As a matter of fact i know i was lied to by palm and am considering pushing the issue further I.E. demanding a rebate from sprint or palm itself. Now, maybe it is to soon to overreact for as far as we know pixis support could be just around the corner. BUT nothing was said to address the issue! not only did palm leave out one of its phone(and costumers)from software development but they also made no mention of it or gave us any clue as to what the status of our handsets will be. I dont know about you but i paid $100 for this phone and could have easily put that money towards a company capable of catering to its customers ALL of its customers.
    no games, no support, not even able to address half its costumers. hopefully i will eat my words and pixi is still getting everything the pre is and all it was was just a failure to communicate to the pixi users as to what was going on.
    hopefully it's just a timing issue. Scrabble shows up on my Pre app catalog, but not on my wife's pixi yet.
    I to feel like I was bull****ted. They could had at least told us if flash and 3d was coming to the pixi in the future. But no were left hanging. I hate this phone now. I like the design, but we (pixi owner) get treated like trash. I wish I would have gotten the pre or hero.
    How can you all expect to get the same power of the Pre in a lesser powered device?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    would you seriously try to play nfsu on the pixi?
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I would want to play games on the pixi with the keyboard right there!!

Most of these new 3d games are utilizing PowerVR driven GPU graphic core.. Pixi has its dedicated GPU Core but not PowerVR (why palm..?)

Side note - Iphone 3G and the newer 3GS both use PowerVR type GPUs (with the 3GS using a newer version with support for openGl 2.0).

Why do u think that Iphone 3G can play 3d games just like the new iphone 3GS..?

The Pixi is uses a slower ARMv6 processor (Qualcomm MSM7627) just like the Iphone 3G (armv6) but you need to also note that the GPU the Pixi is utilizing is something newer and compatible with Open GL 2.0 (just like the Pre/Iphone 3GS but not PowerVR!!).

Pixi should get some Flash and 3d game capabilities with its own dedicated GPU and coding but that depends on if Palm decides to invest time into it..

Iphone 3g runs on ARMv6 (Samsung 1176JZ(F)-S with dedicated GPU PowerVR.
    Mostly all the 3D games and apps on Iphone 3GS runs on the Iphone 3G because the GPU and graphics coding is for PowerVR (they didn't have to change anything.) And yes Iphone 3GS runs the games faster than Iphone 3G.

And this goes back to the new 3D games for the Pre.. Pre uses the same PowerVR GPU as the Iphone 3GS and developers probably didn't have to change much..
    uh....this is a phone. Not a personal computer.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    the pixi is the lower end phone of the two models...what did you guys expect??
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    Yeah, I can't find anything saying what 3D accelerator the Pixi uses apart from that it is 200MHz and OpenGL 2.0. Which, oddly enough, PowerVR SGX chips "exceed" the requirements for OpenGL 2.0.

I really couldn't find any other non-PowerVR smartphone-type 3D accelerators. I am sure there is some, but have no idea what to call it.

Either way the Pixi and the Pre have different CPUs as well. So there is that as well as the need to "scale" back at least the resolution and the like before they come to the Pixi before it would look good (and not just be wasted processing power trying to render to a Pre's larger screen, then resample down to the Pixi-sized screen on top of that... at least for 3D gaming).

The Pixi doesn't seem like a bad device, just seems like it is getting walked on a bit since it isn't the flagship device for Palm (or just blame it on market segmentation as well).
    First and only Palm device (thus far): Handspring Visor Prism w/ Sprint PCS Digital Link.
    Other smartphones: Hitachi G1000 w/Pharos Pocket GPS Navigator, and T-Mobile/Sharp Sidekick/Hiptop 2008 (if you call it a smartphone).
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    The Pre is Palm's flagship device. The Pixi is an entry level device. I think that just about sums it up?
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    The Pixi's hardware is perfectly capable of playing these games as well. Let's look at the facts. Need for speed, monopoly or X plane all work on both the iphone 3GS (same processor/gpu as the Pre) and the iphone 3G. Why is this important? Because the iphone 3G has a 412 mhz processor with a 100mhz open gl 1.0 support gpu and can play 3d games just fine. The Pixi has a far superior 600mhz processor and a 200mhz GPU with opengl 2.0 support. The problem is palm hasn't implimented the GPU drivers for the pixi like they did in the Pre. I am 100% sure it will come in webOS 1.4.
    I wouldn't be surprised if a big portion of it was resolution related. It's a lot easier to port a 480x320 game to another 480x320 platform than it is to port it to a 400x320 one. Since the userbase of the Pre is much larger than the pixi it stands to reason that games are released on it first. There is a lot of art/layout work that needs to be re-done to accomodate a different screen resolution. Not to mention how gameplay might be affected by cropping the screen. I'd probably be happy playing games "letterboxed" on the pixi, but I don't know how many others would.
    Anyone who buys a device based on speculation on what it "might" be able to do in the future is asking for disappointment. If the Pixi doesn't meet your needs now you shouldn't have bought it. If you are now demanding compensation because it won't have future capabilities that the Pre will have -- good luck with that. Nobody ever officially stated it would be equivalent to Pre, either now or in the future.
    I purchased a Pre on release day for myself for $199.
    I purchased a Pixi a week after it's release day for my son for $29.

Until yesterday, I would not have said that the differences between the two justified the price difference. Now, I think it might.

My son is, of course, disappointed. And I'm disappointed for him. But it's really hard to be too disappointed considering that he saved $170 on his phone. Which he could easily turn into an iPod touch if he really wants the games.

$0.02.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I agree with the other guy on screen resolution. I think that is playing the biggest factor right now. 480x320 has become pretty well standard. I'm sure there will be some games that the *developers* (this isn't palm's issue here) modify to work on a smaller screen. Just like I'm sure we'll see new apps written for the smaller screen size. For now, though, since a lot of these apps are being ported from a 480x320 device (iPhone) it looks like the Pre will be the only device seeing some love.
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Smith View Post
    Anyone who buys a device based on speculation on what it "might" be able to do in the future is asking for disappointment. If the Pixi doesn't meet your needs now you shouldn't have bought it. If you are now demanding compensation because it won't have future capabilities that the Pre will have -- good luck with that. Nobody ever officially stated it would be equivalent to Pre, either now or in the future.
    I agree with this, though there are many, many pre owners who have lamented lack of device features from day one, and continue to do so, despite continued improvements. It is a bit ironic that perhaps some of those people, now satisfied, are telling pixi owners 'you don't have the flagship device, so quit yer whining.' I don't think pixi owners were lied to, but I think they have every right to feel disappointed to not get the cool games, flash, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    I agree with this, though there are many, many pre owners who have lamented lack of device features from day one, and continue to do so, despite continued improvements. It is a bit ironic that perhaps some of those people, now satisfied, are telling pixi owners 'you don't have the flagship device, so quit yer whining.' I don't think pixi owners were lied to, but I think they have every right to feel disappointed to not get the cool games, flash, etc.
    They can feel disappointed all they like; it's quite a different matter to complain that they were "lied to," or that information on the reduced specs of their device compared to the Pre was somehow "not readily available." Please.

OP, the fact that the Pixi is a lower-tier smartphone than the Pre should have been readily apparent to you if you're the kind of person who frequents PreCentral. Even a cursory examination of the difference in price should have alerted you that maybe you weren't buying the higher-end device. And to claim you "know you were lied to" by Palm is just hogwash. Please show me where Palm said that the Pixi was going to get the exact same support treatment, across the board, as the Pre. That's ridiculous.

Good posts by some of the members here re: Pixi's actual capabilities, though. I had no idea the *potential* processing power of the Pixi even rivaled (let alone surpassed) that of the iPhone3G. Once Palm addresses the GPU issue, the Pixi will be quite the little powerhouse.
    I suspect that the Pixi is too RAM-limited for a lot of this stuff.

It has half of the RAM of the Pre, (which is why you can't have as many cards open at once), and the Pre already seems to be having issues with RAM with the 3d gaming if too much is going on in the background.
    To elaborate on what I said above:

This is on my Pre. LunaSysMgr handles the webOS interface, and it uses 30% of the RAM as it is.

Oregon Trail uses another 20% of the memory.

That already there is the 50% of the RAM that the Pixi has compared to the Pre, and that's without a ton of other system services.

And I highly suspect the games crashing a bunch on the Pre has to do with running out of available memory, though I could definitely be wrong.
    Check out this article over at PCMag. Seems like the Pixi will eventually receive 3D gaming / GPU support like it's older brother the Pre. Cut Palm some slack, they're developing for a new chipset after all!

Hands On With Palm's Pre Plus and Pixi Plus - Reviews by PC Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast