Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    50MB less... Kind of pathetic. Why would they do that?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    why did they not post these specs at the time of sale?
    They marketed the pixi as the smaller pre with no wifi...
    if i knew the specs i would have got the pre. it was only $50 more

if i am correct palm has never officially anounced what the pixi full hardware specs are. even now i still find spec sheets that say 256mb.

so, back to my origanal post... I feel lied to.

I still love my pixi. form factors great and as far as phones go it still is very functional and well deserving of the smart phone title. i am a little bummed about not getting 3D gaming but the phone could sure handle it and alot more. they are not developing the support for it(PDK) or unlocking its gpu. and if they are they have not anounced it. maybe they just want it to be a surprise OR like i said in my origanal post they cant handle supporting multiple devices with such different specs.

point being, newer phones should always be an improvement then older phones. the pre form factor is still crap. the gesture area on the pixi should be screen/gesture area( perhaps slighly greyed out or side lights on the phone to dictate what part of the screen is used for gestures.)

hopefully palm is working on a pixi style phone with 1 gig ram, 1ooo mhz processor. 400 mhz gpu. 4g network (who cares about wifi), 30 gig hardrive, 3d gaming, flash, 5mp camera. full screen/gesture area all for $200 and avalible by christmas. and a better name( i suggest THUNDERSLICK). i will gladly trade my pixi in for that. WebOs is an awesome operating system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oducayen View Post
    as of right now pre gets all kinds of 3d games, while pixi is left out. i thought i got the same phone with the better form factor............
    looks like this is were you went wrong. Palm is not responsible for you clearly ignoring every phone website. You should do a bit more research before you buy something. Hopefully you don't hire a dentist to represent you at your proceeding.....

While I don't doubt the pixi is going to get flash and 3d games at some point. The Pre is older and the flagship. Sit down junior while the adults figure out how to make this work, then the kiddies can get a chance to play with it!

I mean really, its a lower end model. Thats it. Its a lower end model. your $100? waaaaa, I spent $200. Ive been waiting longer than you have. Palm has 1k employees, bet ya didnt research that either eh?

Thats why i bought the girl a pixi and I have a pre. Cause i wanted power and games and such, and she won't care about that stuff for a while....not till she sees me having so much fun with it.
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 01/10/2010 at 11:09 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I think it really has to do with the fact that these were ported games. iPhone and Pre have the same resolution, and both use ARM8 processors, which makes the port that much easier.

If that article from PC Mag is true, then yes, the pixi will be getting a PDK, which will allow 3D games. But you have to remember that they are going to be showing up slow as developers need to adjust for the different screen size and the reduced RAM.

Another thing to keep in mind is the purpose of the Pixi. It was designed to be someones first smartphone coming from a feature phone. So I wouldn't expect 3D gaming to be a huge demand for most of the owners. That being said, there are still some who want it. But with lower demand, Palm is less likely to spend huge amounts of time on it.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oducayen View Post
    why did they not post these specs at the time of sale?
    They marketed the pixi as the smaller pre with no wifi...
    if i knew the specs i would have got the pre. it was only $50 more

if i am correct palm has never officially anounced what the pixi full hardware specs are. even now i still find spec sheets that say 256mb.

so, back to my origanal post... I feel lied to.

I still love my pixi. form factors great and as far as phones go it still is very functional and well deserving of the smart phone title. i am a little bummed about not getting 3D gaming but the phone could sure handle it and alot more. they are not developing the support for it(PDK) or unlocking its gpu. and if they are they have not anounced it. maybe they just want it to be a surprise OR like i said in my origanal post they cant handle supporting multiple devices with such different specs.

point being, newer phones should always be an improvement then older phones. the pre form factor is still crap. the gesture area on the pixi should be screen/gesture area( perhaps slighly greyed out or side lights on the phone to dictate what part of the screen is used for gestures.)

hopefully palm is working on a pixi style phone with 1 gig ram, 1ooo mhz processor. 400 mhz gpu. 4g network (who cares about wifi), 30 gig hardrive, 3d gaming, flash, 5mp camera. full screen/gesture area all for $200 and avalible by christmas. and a better name( i suggest THUNDERSLICK). i will gladly trade my pixi in for that. WebOs is an awesome operating system.
    Palm Pixi review -- Engadget

notice the date. 3 days before it became available. Stop blaming palm, they made the specs available and never said it was the same insides as the pre with a differant form factor. They never did. NEVER.

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pixi-specs
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 01/10/2010 at 11:21 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    No offence but is this like buying a Toyota Corolla and expect it to be a Lexus is300? There are reasons why the pixi is cheaper and why the pre is still the dominant phone. Before even looking at the chipset limitations, I just cannot see games like NSF looking right on the smaller screen. Maybe eventually Palm will do 3d gamming for the pixi but it wont be the same caliber as the pre will get.
    maybe...but what about games like Scrabble?

I think there are a lot of companies that feel safer using PDK, because their code is safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderf View Post
    maybe...but what about games like Scrabble?

I think there are a lot of companies that feel safer using PDK, because their code is safe.
    Scrabble should be ok physically speaking. I bet that the Pre just got first dibs to all for it being the flagship device to present this to CES. Wait till 1.4.x update to see what happens. Much of these games seemed like they were ported but even with porting the 2 phones use different chipset so driver optimizations have to be considered.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I own a Pre. I bought my sons Pixis (never thought I'd utter that sentence). It came down to FORM FACTOR. Period. I was concerned about a less-than-perfect slider in the hands of a teenager. The Pixi was a no brainer. The only real advertised differences were screen size and missing WiFi. Not "Oh, and eventually the Pre will be able to do really cool things that the Pixi can't. Sorry."

The cost of the device shouldn't be a consideration. I know people paid a ton of cash for their Pre's and are happy to find something significant that makes the "expensive" device "better" than the cheaper device.

At the end of the day, the price of my son's Pixi was $99. My Pre was $79. Yeah, I got a deal on the Pre. But the fact of the matter was that cost wasn't a factor in our case. We have two Pres and two Pixi's in the family. Maybe a technophile reads every website about every phone before he buys it. But most people do some research and make the best decision based on easily attainable information.

Even after the release of the games, I was looking for them on the Pixi. Nothing that I could find said "Released for Pre". Everything said "Released for Web OS".

I have no problem with the wait but why is it that some Pre owners seem to delight in the fact that Pixi owners have to wait?
    Keep in mind that the 3D games the Pre DID get are basically straight up ports from the iPhone. Porting iPhone apps to the Pixi involves compiling for an older cpu architecture, slower GPU, less RAM, and a smaller screen size, whereas porting iPhone stuff to the Pre requires MUCH less work.

And Pre owners still only got a handful of ports as is.

To continue the bad car analogies: The iPhone is to the Pontiac Vibe as the Pre is to the Toyota Matrix. The hardware is extremely similar, but in a different package. An aftermarket intake manufacturer could make a cold air intake for both vehicles with very little additional work. The Pixi is more like a Corolla, totally different internals.
    I am sorta laughing at this whole thread. Everyone seems to have this "can or can't" attitude with no area in between. I've been trying to figure out why the pixi has no 3D(ish) games for the past few hours and so far the only legitimate (sounding) answer I've heard was that SDL is bugged on the pixi and they are trying to fix it. I am not certain how much truth is in that, but looking at hardware.. while the Pre does sport some better stats, the Pixi is not a P.O.S.

I am looking at it like this, on every PC game you buy you have the "Required" specs and the "Recommended" specs. Maybe the Pixi can't run need for speed, atleast as it's designed for the Pre. But in PC games, you can run decent games on lesser hardware if you drop the effects a bit, and lower the resolution. I believe I've read in numerous places now that Palm boasts a 3D chipset in the pixi so it's capable of something, so I am inclined to believe what I heard about the bugged SDL code. I think it's only a matter of time before that gets sorted and we see some 3D games/apps on the pixi.

Greetings by the way :P (Since this should be my first post!)
    The Pixi is certainly capable of running '3D(ish)' games, but the important difference between it and the PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $the$ $screen$ $size$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $challenge$ $fitting$ $a$ $game$ $into$ $a$ $mobile$ $phone$ $form$ $factor$ $in$ $the$ $first$ $place$ - $you$ $really$ $have$ $to$ $optimise$ $it$ $for$ $each$ $screen$ $size$ $individually$ ($unlike$ $a$ $desktop$ $game$ $where$ $there$'$s$ $enough$ $room$ $in$ $hand$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $easy$ $to$ $make$ $things$ $automatically$ $size$ $to$ $fit$).

Throw in the fact that the PrPrPr&#$275$; $is$ $exactly$ $the$ $same$ $resolution$ $as$ $the$ $iPhone$. $For$ $someone$ $porting$ $a$ $game$ $which$ $they$'$ve$ $already$ $ported$ $to$ $the$ $iPhone$, $the$ $Pr$&#$275$; $requires$ $no$ $extra$ $design$ $work$ $and$ $greater$ $market$ $penetration$. $That$'$s$ $naturally$ $more$ $appealing$ $than$ $targeting$ $the$ $Pixi$, $a$ $smaller$ $market$ $which$ $requires$ $more$ $work$.

I'm new to the App Catalog with Ancient Frog, so I'm testing the waters as I go. If it looks like I'll be able to afford to do it, I'll go ahead and add a Pixi version.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Play Ancient Frog on the Prē!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyabina View Post
    Those specs are wrong. The pixi has a 600mhz processor, and 8GB of storage (rom would be read-only).
    Palm Pixi Processor: Full Spec Sheet
    Easiest way to tell would to be running a command on the actual hardware. (like free -mt, not sure if that would work on the pre/pixi though)
    This source is correct.

Its for the European GSM Pixi.

The European GSM Pixi has only 4 Gigs of storage.

Every single Pixi has 256MB of Ram...the same as the Pre...not half.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123