Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    How can you all expect to get the same power of the Pre in a lesser powered device?
    i don't care about games as i don't play them. but there is no reason not to give us flash right away. the pixi is not that much slower than the pre and it still has a gpu like the pre. i owned a pre in november and the pixi doesn't seem any slower. i think this is all a bunch of crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i think this is all a bunch of crap.
    The 'this' that is getting your knickers in a knot is a bunch of assumptions. Let's wait and see what Palm actually has in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    To elaborate on what I said above:

This is on my Pre. LunaSysMgr handles the webOS interface, and it uses 30% of the RAM as it is.

Oregon Trail uses another 20% of the memory.

That already there is the 50% of the RAM that the Pixi has compared to the Pre, and that's without a ton of other system services.

And I highly suspect the games crashing a bunch on the Pre has to do with running out of available memory, though I could definitely be wrong.
    I would like to thank you for bringing actual data to this argument. It all comes down to hardware specs and pure facts.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    from what i have read both the pre and pixi both have 256mb or ram. From a video on youtube it seems that pixi processor is slighlty faster. Is this data still valid?

that being said, my knowledge of phone specs is not that extensive. however, it looks like from what i have seen that the pixi should be able to run 3d games.

-Does anyone have any further knowledge as to 3D games being possible on the pixi or not?
    -Has anyone been able to get DOOM to run on the pixi?
    - is this just a problem about screen size and aspect ratio? (if so, i can live with letterbox)

why didnt Palm make an official statement about pixis 3D gaming abilitys?

someone in this thread did say that selling games on the pixi is a huge market and if it is possible they will make it happen. I am just curious as to if it is even possible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oducayen View Post
    From a video on youtube it seems that pixi processor is slighlty faster.
    The Pixi's CPU is not even in the same league as the Pre.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    3D gaming will come to the Pixi, but it has to be optimized first. Classic wasn't available on the Pixi when it first released, but an update fixed that. It will come to the Pixi in time. Palm is a little more focused on the Pre, its flag ship device and device with the larger user base. The Pixi also uses Open Gl.

Just be a little more patient. You waited this long. Pre users have waited 7 months. Pixi came out 2.5 months ago.

Besides, most of these are ports from what. I hear
    Palm sure as hell is smarter than what you're giving them credit for. The Pixi uses a WHOLE different chipset compared to the Pre, so there are tweaks that have to be made to support each unique device. Just chill out, it's gonna come. Palm knows better than to not release 3D for it's entry-level WebOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSavvy View Post
    Check out this article over at PCMag. Seems like the Pixi will eventually receive 3D gaming / GPU support like it's older brother the Pre. Cut Palm some slack, they're developing for a new chipset after all!

Hands On With Palm's Pre Plus and Pixi Plus - Reviews by PC Magazine
    Exactly. The article clearly states that Palm told the author that the PDK for the Pixi line would be coming soon. When is soon? I don't know but Palm knows. So Pixi owners will have 3D gaming and apps that take advantage of the PDK. Obviously, getting the PDK done for the Pre and out to devs was Palm's first priority. That's certainly understandable.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    so? point blank it loads and boots faster, not just by the video. im talking ive seen it hands on as ive owned both.

there is nothing the pixi can't do that an iphone 3g can as they have the same cpu. BUT the pixi has a better gpu from what ive read so now us pixi users just have to wait to unlock the full potential. i think flash and the 1.4 update will put us in the right direction.
    This simply is not true. The Pixi has less perforance but not by a very big margin. The Pixi's processor is a higher clock speed at 600 mhz while the Pre is at 550. OMAP 3 is more robust outside of clock speeds but the Pixi has a faster processor than all 1st gen android handsets and both the ipod touch 1-2gen and iphone 2G/3G... So the Pixi IS capable for doing it
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    To elaborate on what I said above:

This is on my Pre. LunaSysMgr handles the webOS interface, and it uses 30% of the RAM as it is.

Oregon Trail uses another 20% of the memory.

That already there is the 50% of the RAM that the Pixi has compared to the Pre, and that's without a ton of other system services.

And I highly suspect the games crashing a bunch on the Pre has to do with running out of available memory, though I could definitely be wrong.
    When has it ever been confirmed that the Pixi has half the RAM of the Pre? There's yet to be a tear down Pixi, and there's been no official word. As far as I know, it has the same 256mb.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    I found this spec sheet on a pdadb.com

Palm Pixi

Microprocessor,_Chipset
    CPU+Clock: 528 MHz
    CPU: Qualcomm MSM7225
    Browse devices based on this microprocessor
    Memory,:Storage-capacity
    RAM:capacity: 256 MiB
    ROM-capacity: 3.7 GiB

Not sure how credible it is but it seems like it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    When has it ever been confirmed that the Pixi has half the RAM of the Pre? There's yet to be a tear down Pixi, and there's been no official word. As far as I know, it has the same 256mb.
    No official word or teardown, no. I've read a few times that it's half the RAM, from reputable places, just I can't remember them at this point.

But if you think about it, the Pixi can only open about 5-6 cards at a time, not the 10-12 that the Pre can, so it also just makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmurch3 View Post
    I found this spec sheet on a pdadb.com

Palm Pixi

Microprocessor,_Chipset
    CPU+Clock: 528 MHz
    CPU: Qualcomm MSM7225
    Browse devices based on this microprocessor
    Memory,:Storage-capacity
    RAM:capacity: 256 MiB
    ROM-capacity: 3.7 GiB

Not sure how credible it is but it seems like it is
    Those specs are wrong. The pixi has a 600mhz processor, and 8GB of storage (rom would be read-only).
    Palm Pixi Processor: Full Spec Sheet
    Easiest way to tell would to be running a command on the actual hardware. (like free -mt, not sure if that would work on the pre/pixi though)
    First and only Palm device (thus far): Handspring Visor Prism w/ Sprint PCS Digital Link.
    Other smartphones: Hitachi G1000 w/Pharos Pocket GPS Navigator, and T-Mobile/Sharp Sidekick/Hiptop 2008 (if you call it a smartphone).
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyabina View Post
    Those specs are wrong. The pixi has a 600mhz processor, and 8GB of storage (rom would be read-only).
    Palm Pixi Processor: Full Spec Sheet
    Easiest way to tell would to be running a command on the actual hardware. (like free -mt, not sure if that would work on the pre/pixi though)

Ah, well then I have used a bad source lol

My bad
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I ran TOP, VMSTAT, and FREE -M commands on the Pixi via Terminal in Preware. Here are the results:

top = 15:00:00 up 2 days, 22:01, 1 user load av
    Tasks: 94 total, 2 running, 92 sleeping, 0s
    Cpu(s): 15.8%, 0.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 83.9%id, 0.0%w
    Mem: 206952k total, 204548k used, 2404k f
    Swap: 204792k total, 83956k used, 120836k f

(after that its all the pids)

vmstat
    procs------------memory------------ ---swap--- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
    r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
    3 0 83968 2372 12552 40232 2 2 9 25 199 149 15 7 73 5

free -m
    total used free shared buffers cached
    mem: 202 199 2 0 12 39

-/+ buffers/cache:
    swap: 199 82 117

and yes i have 8 gigs of storage.. how do i know.. mp3 and vids worth 5.3 gigs as of now..

so what is Pre's mem stats??? can someone chime in with that??
    Looks like it has 192MB of RAM from that info.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Looks like it has 192MB of RAM from that info.
    jhoff can u verify by running the same 3 linux command in the terminal since u have the pre??
    Pre:

top - 19:36:51 up 16:53, 2 users, load average: 1.73, 4.91, 4.22
    Tasks: 100 total, 2 running, 92 sleeping, 0 stopped, 6 zombie
    Cpu(s): 0.7%us, 2.6%sy, 0.0%ni, 96.4%id, 0.3%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 244804k total, 238284k used, 6520k free, 20800k buffers
    Swap: 131064k total, 46012k used, 85052k free, 51924k cached

vmstat
    procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
    r b swpd free buff cache si so bi bo in cs us sy id wa
    4 0 46012 5996 20868 51992 2 2 17 18 485 179 8 3 87 2

free -mt
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 239 233 5 0 20 50
    -/+ buffers/cache: 162 76
    Swap: 127 44 83
    Total: 367 278 88
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    jhoff much appreciated!

I can't believe they nerf'd the pixi's ram. 50mb less... O well I guess it's better than half.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast