Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    And I thought it was just me.... It seems that with the 1.3.5 update, there is a hanging issue of sorts with WebOS. Some people claim it was better before, some claim it is better after. Personally, I can attest to neither.

When I got my Pixi, ONE of the first things I did was upgrade the OS. I often get the "too many" msg. after I have opened a number of cards. By this, I mean that I have opened and closed (insert arbitrary number to exceed 6) individual cards, OR I have opened and typically closed (insert arbitrary number to exceed 2) cards at one time. The next card I try to open tells me I have too many cards open.

This to me sounds like a "hanging" issue with WebOS. Is there a way (other than restarting the blasted thing) to clear the OS of any open processes? Maybe something along the lines of Windows "Task Manager" program? I think it might be interesting to see what is hogging all the memory instead of simply stating "shut it off and turn it on."

Turning the the phone off and then on does not fix anything, and it can hardly be called a "bubblegum patch" either. I can not explain how frustrating it is when I am trying to retrieve some information (typically for my boss who was thinking of buying about 500 Pixi's as company phones) and my phone states I have too many cards open when in fact I have nothing open.

Anyone (who is much more savvy than I) willing to look into this, or should we just bombard Palm until they cave?

Myke

Edit: Go back one page and see the Jstop application mentioned. I did not understand what they were referring to, but it seems to be a "task manager" of sorts? Downloading now.

Edit2: Jstop is a "task manager" of sorts, and might be helpful. I have to duplicate the "TMC" condition first then see if I can find the space hog in the phone. (BBL)

Edit3: For testing purposes, I am resetting Luna, then opening Jstop, recording info,opening cards (all Internet browser), recording info, closing cards, recording, then reopening. I am going to do this multiple times and split this into cycles. 1 cycle will be from opening cards until closing cards+recording.

Luna is reset

Opening Jstop Static memory usage will be as follows: 14.52 MB with Phone resources and Jstop

Cycle 1:
    Starting at 14.52 MB
    Opened 45 cards 25.82 MB "TMC" error (accidently opened & closed msgs 3 times)
    Closed all but Jstop 27.98 MB (Waited about 60 seconds before recording)

Cycle 2:
    Starting at 28.07 MB (crept up in the time it took to write this. About 120 second)
    Opened 45 cards 25.26 MB "TMC" error (purposely opened & closed msg 3 times)
    Closed all but Jstop 27.93 MB (waited about 60 seconds before recording)

Cycle 3:
    Starting at 25.62 MB (droped this time while waiting 120 sec)
    Opened 45 cards 25.86 MB "TMC error (purposely opened and closed msg 3 times)
    Closed all but Jstop 28.05 MB (waited about 60 seconds before recording)

Well, that is only 3 cycles, but it seems pretty consistent. I will have to open Jstop next time I have the "TMC" occur naturally and log what is running and MB used. To be updated soon.
    Last edited by Evil Llama; 02/01/2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Found something I missed the first time.
    "TMC" with only one card open. I was in Preware, clicked an app, and got a TMC. Had to close Preware to open Jstop.

When I opened Jstop, it said I was using 17.21MB. I then opened Preware again (no issue) then clicked the same app again (no issue) but kept surfing around in Preware.

It took about 3 minutes, but I got a TMC again, and I had ONLY Jstop and Preware open. I tried to open a link in an app, and "TMC" with only 33.26MB used.

It looks like the Jstop idea is not going to be helpful. The only programs open were the phone files and the two apps.

Any other ideas? (Oh, and this is a NEW pixi. I just got it last night and updated the OS first thing)

Myke

EDIT: opened ONLY web browser to see if I could get 45 cards up. I did get the 45 cards, like with the old Pixi.
    Last edited by Evil Llama; 02/02/2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: addition
    I get TMC too many times and I've about had it with the phone. Please Palm give us the same OS on a snapdragon proc with more memory and a larger screen!

The Jstop does nothing for me. I've had TMC with very little memory used and the only thing to fix it is a luna restart. It is fun to see the slider pull back the memory but I've never noticed performance improvements doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlovely View Post
    I get TMC too many times and I've about had it with the phone. Please Palm give us the same OS on a snapdragon proc with more memory and a larger screen!

The Jstop does nothing for me. I've had TMC with very little memory used and the only thing to fix it is a luna restart. It is fun to see the slider pull back the memory but I've never noticed performance improvements doing so.
    TOTALY agree that Jstop does NOTHING to fix this issue, I was using it only to diagnose the issue. As you can see from what I documented, Jstop can not help with this situation. I only got about 50% when I hit the TMC issue. (keep in mind, I had internet windows open with nothing in them. There were no pages loaded, no history to clear, nothing in the browser.)

This seems to be (IMHO) a temp mem issue. The biggest issue is that for some reason, the Pixi does not want to clear the temporary files in the memory when I file is closed. It is almost like the RAM locks up the information or something.

1.3.5 makes the card issue "better", but only incrementally.

I would either
    (A) Do as I have done, and contact Palm and talk with them about this. Tell them the issue.... typical feedback stuff (Get contact info from your provider).
    (B)Do as I am also doing, and wait for the next WebOS release and hope it does more to fix this issue, or resolve it.

Sorry, I wish I could tell you more.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123