Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a Pre with Preware installed, and WebOS on my desktop.

My wife may be purchasing a Pixi.

I'm wondering if I can just connect her Pixi to my computer in order to install Preware via WebOS, even though it's a different device. Sorry for the silly question. Just wondering.
    Yes. Once you have WebOS Quickinstall on your computer, you should have no problems using it with the pixi. Just remember to turn dev mode on on your pixi, then connect the pixi to your computer, then open QuickInstall.
    So how long does it take to install Preware, and how do you turn dev mode on??
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk0625 View Post
    So how long does it take to install Preware, and how do you turn dev mode on??
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-your-pre.html
    thanks
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    So, just to confirm:

Installing preware on pixi is the SAME process as installing on Pre?

Also, are all the apps compatible with the pixi?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yungwunn911 View Post
    So, just to confirm:

Installing preware on pixi is the SAME process as installing on Pre?

Also, are all the apps compatible with the pixi?
    Not all apps work correctly with the screen size difference but for the most part yes. Plus preware knows which phone you have so it only shows apps that work for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Not all apps work correctly with the screen size difference but for the most part yes. Plus preware knows which phone you have so it only shows apps that work for it.
    Awsome. You answered my next question.

Good to hear that PreWare knows, and many of the apps and patches are compatible with pixi!
    I'm holding off on Preware for now...focusing on the WebOS/Pixi updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    I'm holding off on Preware for now...focusing on the WebOS/Pixi updates.
    Why?
    Few reasons:

+ too much gong on to focus on minutia like this
    + with every WebOS update the Pixi gets better
    + I never had a Pre before so I don't miss it
    + True? I hear one has to uninstall Preware before installing new WebOS updates.
    + I like to kep things simple for now. I used to be a DIY person in my Treo years, but not anymore!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Few reasons:
    + True? I hear one has to uninstall Preware before installing new WebOS updates.
    Not true. You have to uninstall patches before running a WebOS update but patches are only a small part of it. I run NO patches but run PreWare for homebrew apps. It's great and really is simple and extremely professionally done. Awesome stuff.
    Few reasons:

+ too much gong on to focus on minutia like this
    + with every WebOS update the Pixi gets better
    + I never had a Pre before so I don't miss it
    + I like to kep things simple for now. I used to be a DIY person in my Treo years, but not anymore!
    I felt the same way but I relented and installed it.

I'm thankful I did.

I just take screenshots of my installed patches, run EPR, update WebOS, then reinstall patches.

Cakewalk
    Ok, you have me hooked! It's just a matter of when. Is there documentation for this?
    I'm not sure to what documentation you are referring, but here's how you can get started with Homebrew.

http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes

I am not a tech-savvy person and I LOVE Homebrew - not sure I could ever live without my patches again :-)
    Just follow the instructions closely - including the ever-important removing your patches before you install updates...
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    I have Preware on Palm pre and works just fine, have went through all the steps and downloaded WebOS Quick Install on pc and am able to do everything correctly on the Palm Pre.... HOWEVER... not so much on Pixi..anyone know why? Is there an extra step I am missing or something different on the pixi? I am thinking maybe I need to download a new version of Webos quick install but any info woulld be nice. Has anyone else experienced this?

When I go to Quick Install and try to do anything it say I need to install 2 things, hit ok to continue.. When I hit ok it tries to download and comes up Error 4 blah blah..etc etc then also says error- cannot find org.webos.internals.patch and org.webos.internals.diftat or something like that..

I have the palm sdk on my pc..is there a different one needed for the pixi maybe?
    Last edited by johnnyeoneal; 01/16/2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks the wife is getting a Pixi in March, I a Pre in February, I have done a lot of research on Pre, thanks mostly to this site but not much on Pixi this will help with allot of questions.
    I have also tried installing preware multiple times on my Pixi, and it always says the service pkg manager or whatever isn't running/installed correctly. These are the things i've tried:
    installing preware and pkg manager at same time-nothing
    erased preware and pkg manager
    installed pkg manager THEN preware-nothing
    erased again
    installed preware THEN pkg manager-nothing
    erased pkg manager, but not preware
    installed pkg manager-nothing
    erased both again
    installed it all again EXACTLY as detailed in the forums and wiki...
    I had many unsuccessful attempts getting my pixi recognized on my xp laptop. No matter how many times I reinstalled and restarted things. Manually downloading novacom didn't help. First time I try it on my win7-64 laptop it worked no problem. Installed preware no problem too. I found some patches installed better via preware than QI. Other than that, no issues.

Zero reason not to install it. Homebrew apps are fine when updating and even the patches can be autoupdated after as well. nothing has to be uninstalled now.

The patches make webOS so much more usable. It's amazing how much it lacks, and it makes you wonder why it was so limited to begin with. So many steps backwards in many ways compared to PalmOS, it's amazing. Especially when Palm reps publically said they weren't alienating PalmOS users way back when, and they clearly were.
    Quote Originally Posted by PJosh23 View Post
    I have also tried installing preware multiple times on my Pixi, and it always says the service pkg manager or whatever isn't running/installed correctly. These are the things i've tried:
    installing preware and pkg manager at same time-nothing
    erased preware and pkg manager
    installed pkg manager THEN preware-nothing
    erased again
    installed preware THEN pkg manager-nothing
    erased pkg manager, but not preware
    installed pkg manager-nothing
    erased both again
    installed it all again EXACTLY as detailed in the forums and wiki...
    I don't know if you've tried this but it's been foolproof for me:

Install package manager, do a luna restart.
    Install Preware, do a luna restart.

Hope this helps.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast