Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. puggo63
    Is it me or is the Pixi's camera horrible? It over exposes almost every scene - aka completely washes out - any scene or part of a scene that is of light color or has sunlight or has any light on a subject. Can the camera be manually tweaked or does the Pixi has some camera manual controls I can't find? Please help!
    Last edited by puggo63; 12/21/2009 at 02:04 PM.
    its you.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I'll agree.. the drop off in quality between the Pre and the Pixi based simply on the lower megapixels doesn't seem to add up. I have a suspicion that since there is different hardware under the hood, they haven't had time to make some coding tweaks to get the Pixi's camera to do a better job.

I'm not even a big picture taker with my phone & I've had a camera phone within a month of when Sprint 1st introduced one, but even I have noticed there is something very off in the PQ between the Pre & Pixi for what little difference there should be...
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I love that you misspelt awful. For a split second there I thought you were being clever and this was a thread about how great the Pixi's camera is. Heh.
    Last edited by laze; 12/21/2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Original title read 'Pixi's aweful camera'
  5. puggo63
    I will dismiss and ignore the sarcastic replies but jmlesse you are probably correct. Palm probably downgraded the camera's software and sensors to meet a certain price point.
    It's not that good, But I rarely use the camera in phones anyway.
    The Pixi's camera light sensitivity is far worse than the Pre. In low light, the Pre camera has much better sensitivity and will take better photos. It seems like a cheaper and worse sensor was used in the Pixi too keep costs low, or the sensor in the Pixi was made much smaller, thus providing less light per pixel than the Pre.

The Camera and WiFi are the only things keeping me on the Pre instead of the Pixi.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Interesting. I haven't taken a lot of photos with the Pixi in low light. But I find the Pre's camera to be really quite bad in low light. And the flash to be of almost no help at all. Unless you're within 2 feet of the subject, the flash does absolutely nothing.

But in full light, I rather like the Pre camera's resulting pictures.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I agree with you. I've found the camera in the Pixi to be pretty terrible, though I try to deal with it because I love the form factor of the phone more so than any phone I have ever owned.
    The Pixi's camera is crap. Almost every picture taken with the flash is totally blown out and color rendition is terrible across the board. Since the hardware is mediocre it will never be a very good camera even by cellphone standards, but hopefully a software update can make it at least tolerable.
    There arent any patches out for the Pixi camera yet?
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    It isn't meant to be a formidable solution to even the worst standalone cameras on the market. Its intended use is to take a quick picture at the drop of a hat, Palm certainly didn't develop it to replace your standalone camera. Your expectations are too high and your idea of its purpose warped.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    It isn't meant to be a formidable solution to even the worst standalone cameras on the market. Its intended use is to take a quick picture at the drop of a hat, Palm certainly didn't develop it to replace your standalone camera. Your expectations are too high and your idea of its purpose warped.
    Your understanding and characterization of this thread are warped. Nobody has expressed the expectation that the Pixi's camera rival any standalone digicam. The expectation is that it take pictures of a quality approximating the average smartphone being sold today. That is not too high an expectation and the Pixi clearly fails to meet it. I use various smartphone cameras on a regular basis and the Pixi consistently delivers the poorest quality pictures, by a considerable margin.
    Last edited by John P. Smith; 12/23/2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Ok John, I'm going to take that on the chin as reading my post back I deserved to rebuffed.

Perhaps the brightness of the flash needs adjusting in a future firmware update (if possible), or are photos over-exposed even with the flash disabled? On my Pre I do find the automatic flash activates when it's not necessarily needed.

I plan to buy my girlfriend a Pixi once they're released in the UK so I'm eager to learn of its cons as well as its pros.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    Ok John, I'm going to take that on the chin as reading my post back I deserved to rebuffed.

Perhaps the brightness of the flash needs adjusting in a future firmware update (if possible), or are photos over-exposed even with the flash disabled? On my Pre I do find the automatic flash activates when it's not necessarily needed.

I plan to buy my girlfriend a Pixi once they're released in the UK so I'm eager to learn of its cons as well as its pros.
    No offense taken or intended. Some flash washout of very close subjects is not unique to Pixi by any means, but the Pixi seems almost totally incapable of adjusting exposure based on whether the flash is triggered or not. And pictures taken in decent light without flash are weirdly variable, sometimes way too dark and other times in seemingly the same light way overexposed, and with colors often way way off. Some of this could possibly be correctable via a software update.

I have to say that other than the camera Pixi is a great phone, and if you can deal with the very small font on cards (an issue for my middle-aged eyes) it is a great choice.
    Im still ot wowed by the Pixi. It reminds me of my Centro with TealOS on it to much. lol
    I imagine that the electric eyes connected to auto-flush urinals take better pictures than the camera on the Pixi. Palm claims it is a 2 mega pixel camera. While it creates a 2 mega pixel image, it is clearly being interpolated up to that resolution. Ironically, I have no problem with the low resolution. The real problem is the horrid color rendition. I seriously hope that this can be corrected via a software update because I absolutely love almost everything else about this phone. Being able to take a quick snapshot would make this an absolutely great phone.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon pre View Post
    I imagine that the electric eyes connected to auto-flush urinals take better pictures than the camera on the Pixi. Palm claims it is a 2 mega pixel camera. While it creates a 2 mega pixel image, it is clearly being interpolated up to that resolution. Ironically, I have no problem with the low resolution. The real problem is the horrid color rendition. I seriously hope that this can be corrected via a software update because I absolutely love almost everything else about this phone. Being able to take a quick snapshot would make this an absolutely great phone.
    Anytime I use the flash it always washes out the subject completely and I get a huge white spot in the middle of the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
    Anytime I use the flash it always washes out the subject completely and I get a huge white spot in the middle of the picture.
    How is it without the the flash on? Does it actually take decent pictures?
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast