1.    #1  
    I just purchased a pixi for my wife and am still in the 30 day return period. Our signal is o.k. at home, but the internet on the evdo is a bit slow. My wife would really like wifi to speed things up a bit. Do you think a wifi pixi is coming to sprint? Should I bring hers back and wait a spell?
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    Do you think a wifi pixi is coming to sprint? Should I bring hers back and wait a spell?
  3.    #3  
    thanks for that....
    If not, Sprint's version of the Pixi is dead. Why would anyone choose the crippled Sprint version over Verizon's?

Sprint and Palm continue to make incomprehensible choices.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Reminds me of the crippled Verizon 700w (memory wise) years back and Sprint's much better 700Wx with DOUBLE the memory...
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    If not, Sprint's version of the Pixi is dead. Why would anyone choose the crippled Sprint version over Verizon's?

Sprint and Palm continue to make incomprehensible choices.
    Meh.

I rarely use wifi now. The only time I do is to be on a phone call and browse the web at the same time.
    Because monthly charges to operate a Pixi on Verizon are way more expensive than Sprint. Most people don't give a rat's rear about wifi and of those that do, very few are going to pay a bigger bill every month just to get it.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    With this & the Pre supposedly going to beefed up in some way, it feels weird to be in bizzaro cell land. It used to always be Sprint & Verizon would have lots of the same models of phones & Verizon would cripple it in speed, wifi or something else... Nutso. I'd only be angered if they updated the pre build quality and the keyboard was now on par with the Pixi. Sort of a Pre 1.1 before they come out with the Pre 2 or a 3rd form factor for a WebOS phone.
    I think buyers don't pay nearly as much attention to contract costs as they do to the phones. Using John and Max's logic Sprint would be on its way to being the biggest carrier, and Verizon fading away. Obviously, people are perfectly happy to pay Verizon's higher rates, for whatever reasons.

I think buyers will see the Pixi at Best Buy, and when comparing them see that both are the same price and the Verizon version has WiFi. Even if they don't use it often, they'll see it as "free." Decision made.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Yes I definetly think so. Not much reason why it wouldn't be on Sprint. They are just adding WiFi it's not like it's a Palm Pixi 2 and they have exclusivity. After Palm Pixi sales peak on Verizon they will quickly start selling them on Sprint.
    many consumers would be hard-pressed to define wi-fi or see its purpose in a phone. selling both the Pixi and Pre in the past few weeks, wifi has not discouraged many people from deciding on the smaller non-sliding phone. in my area, people are more willing to save the $50 and get a smaller (solid) phone.

That said, it does seem unwise to remove wifi from a phone for one carrier. We probably won't hear an explanation from Palm or Sprint, but my guess is that Sprint wanted a cheap smartphone that would require a data plan. After listening to the Palmcast, it doesn't seem like the price was reduced much by removing wifi.

I don't see it being as huge of an issue as others, but it is hard to find a good reason that the Pixi is missing wifi.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I think buyers don't pay nearly as much attention to contract costs as they do to the phones. Using John and Max's logic Sprint would be on its way to being the biggest carrier, and Verizon fading away. Obviously, people are perfectly happy to pay Verizon's higher rates, for whatever reasons.

I think buyers will see the Pixi at Best Buy, and when comparing them see that both are the same price and the Verizon version has WiFi. Even if they don't use it often, they'll see it as "free." Decision made.
    Well Sprint would be, but they got a bad rep with their customer service. Customer Service is everything to a customer.
    It looks like the pixi on Verizon will have WiFi (see "Verizon Palm Pixi Clears FCC with WiFi"), so I think the WiFi version of the pixi will find its way to other carriers some time in the future.