1.    #1  
    Has anyone switched from the Treo Pro to the Pixi? I currently have the Pro and like it. I don't use the Wifi so I know I won't miss it, but are there other features that makes the Pixi better? Is the screen bigger? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
    wait for the Verizon one with wifi.

WebOS is miles ahead of WinMob. You will not regret going there.

However lack of Wifi is not quite "future-proof" so i would wait for that to come.

I had a Treo Pro before my Pre. TO be honest, the TP hardware is much better... if it had WinMob on it it would be perfect (thus the Verizon Pre).

WinMob is just too clunky and slow, especially if you are the one who would customize it with touchflo and the likes.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the input. Not sure Wifi is that important for me now or even in the next year or so. I'm not a fan of Verizon...I believe they are over priced and would rather keep what I have rather than switch to them.
    If you rarely use the Treo Pro wifi I wouldn't pass on the Pixi over lack of wifi. It certainly wouldn't be worth paying Verizon's ripoff rates just to get it.

Even loading WebOS updates really isn't an issue if you have decent EVDO where you'll be doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bvent View Post
    Has anyone switched from the Treo Pro to the Pixi? I currently have the Pro and like it. I don't use the Wifi so I know I won't miss it, but are there other features that makes the Pixi better? Is the screen bigger? Any input would be great. Thanks in advance.
    The Pixi's screen is actually a little smaller than the Pre's screen to accommodate the always there keyboard. The fact that the keyboard is always available to you is likely the biggest advantage of the Pixi along with the fact that the lack of a slider means fewer moving parts and a lower likelihood for the phone to break. I personally don't mind having to open and close the Pre, so for me this advantage of the Pixi is no big deal -- but it is for some people.

Wifi is not an absolute "got to have it" feature but it is nice as wifi apparently consumes less electricity than Spint EvDo 3G. It is also faster and for myself, I have a wifi hotspot at home and at work, so it makes sense. If you have a similar set up, you probably won't miss the Pixi's missing wifi.
    bvent,
    Everyone here seems to be a Pre owner. I too own a Pre but bought my daughter a Pixi. I had it for a week and loved it, actually missed it when her birthday came. I came off an HTC with WM 6.1., WebOS blows it away. The only thing I would say is definitely patch the Pixi. Rod helped me patch hers the first night it was out. The experience was great and I was able to give her a fully patched and tested new phone. She loves it, I would say either dump the TP for a Pixi or wait for the TP WebOS version if it comes. I did find it faster on every test against my Pre as well... Hope this helps and I hope your happy with whatever you decide.
    So after realizing i was do for an upgrade i went for the pixi after the pro.
    problems to note before you plan on switiching(though they just might be mine)

-contacts are not easy to get from the pro to the pixi, at least i havent found a way yet. up until now i had an app that backed up contacts on my winmobile phones and i would just send it to my new phone when i got one, no can do with this one
    -no skype(yet) apparently skype is waiting to see if webOS will be in the game long enough before making any skype apps
    -no email notification customizing
    -no expandable memory slot
    -the volume rocker is on the other side
    -no camera button
    those are just a few, im sure ill have more in the next few days

pro list
    -app catalog with some cool (free) stuf
    -touch screen is great, the pro was an awesome phone but i almost never- i repeat, never- used the touch screen. aside for the screen being smallish it wasnt always very accurate. pixi has alot invested into the touch screen bc thats what the os is based off of. i have no complaints for the pixi touch screen at this time, except that i wish it was bigger.
    -new operating system(srry winmo) i dont think winmo is going to get any better than it is now. dont get me wrong its great, but its not going to get any better. touch flo3d doesnt really market to those who use winmo for business or the speed of winmo anyways, so to me that doesnt really seem like a step forward. it great bc it lets you customize though ringer and alarms and everything.

in conclusion...i dk
    give me a few more days with this phone and ill know for sure. after all its only a phone call and i switch back to my pro....good old pro
    I had a pro and I will address a few of your issues.
    -contacts - I used gmail anyway and my Pro contacts were sync with gmail anyway.
    camera button- I thought the camera button on the pro was much to hard to find anyway. With patches you can go into camera mode by opening the phone in horizontal mode and snapping picture with space bar, or volume button, or any button. Much more convenient that pro, and also picture snaps much faster .
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avbar88 View Post
    So after realizing i was do for an upgrade i went for the pixi after the pro.
    problems to note before you plan on switiching(though they just might be mine)

-contacts are not easy to get from the pro to the pixi, at least i havent found a way yet. up until now i had an app that backed up contacts on my winmobile phones and i would just send it to my new phone when i got one, no can do with this one
    -no skype(yet) apparently skype is waiting to see if webOS will be in the game long enough before making any skype apps
    -no email notification customizing
    -no expandable memory slot
    -the volume rocker is on the other side
    -no camera button
    those are just a few, im sure ill have more in the next few days

pro list
    -app catalog with some cool (free) stuf
    -touch screen is great, the pro was an awesome phone but i almost never- i repeat, never- used the touch screen. aside for the screen being smallish it wasnt always very accurate. pixi has alot invested into the touch screen bc thats what the os is based off of. i have no complaints for the pixi touch screen at this time, except that i wish it was bigger.
    -new operating system(srry winmo) i dont think winmo is going to get any better than it is now. dont get me wrong its great, but its not going to get any better. touch flo3d doesnt really market to those who use winmo for business or the speed of winmo anyways, so to me that doesnt really seem like a step forward. it great bc it lets you customize though ringer and alarms and everything.

in conclusion...i dk
    give me a few more days with this phone and ill know for sure. after all its only a phone call and i switch back to my pro....good old pro
    You didn't mention the browser?! That alone puts the Pixi miles ahead of WinMo! Otherwise, you have valid points.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I came from a pro to a pixi. I dont know where to begin with how much better I feel the Pixi is. Only thing I miss is the directional key. Hard to maneuver on screen without it.
    @cglaguna
    i think you are talking about touch pro but the topic is about treo pro

@rafrol
    your right, i guess after so long with the pro ive actually stopped relying on my phones browser altogether, it might take a while to get that feeling back again...

@honda
    def agree with you,
    plus if your typing a lengthy email and you misspell a word a few lines back does anyone know how to get there?
    Like @Meltedwire above mentioned, if you use Homebrew to patch your phone, you can download a patch that allows you to word jump forwards and backward one word at a time using an easy button combo (Sym+f, Sym+g).

Also, if you patch using Homebrew (big ups to those of you who develop those apps and patches, btw!), you will find TONS of notification changes for email, messaging, etc. It's pretty great. Maybe you are already well aware of this...if not, check it out!

http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    ~Annie

I heart my Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by bvent View Post
    Thanks for the input. Not sure Wifi is that important for me now or even in the next year or so. I'm not a fan of Verizon...I believe they are over priced and would rather keep what I have rather than switch to them.
    in a way, pixi should be what WebOS is designed for, more so than the Pre.

WebOS is best when you just type and go.

find a contact, type and go
    launch an app, type and go
    msg, IM, email a person, type and go
    wiki, google, type and go
    web browsing, type and go

its all so smooth, with Pre, you have to open the slider first.

as far as wifi goes, if it has wifi, then its possible to use it even when you finished with sprint. A.K.A. future proof. But if you can get it cheap, then it might not be that important.
    @honda
    def agree with you,
    plus if your typing a lengthy email and you misspell a word a few lines back does anyone know how to get there?[/QUOTE]

Hold down the white button and move your finger along the screen.
    Well I also switched from a treo pro to a pixi and I couldn't be happier. I had a nice version of winmo 6.5 but no matter what its still the same old thing as any other winmo phone. The palm Webos is so refreshing i love it, and for the contacts its really easy to import them. I had my contacts synced with windows live on the treo pro, just export them to a .csv file and then import them into your gmail account so once you set up your pixi with gmail it will grab all your gmail contacts etc. It was a painless process. And the keyboard is basically the same as the treo pro which is awesome, with a couple of different things.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Personal Opinion

WebOS > Winmo

If you like the form factor of the Pixi, I'd go for it.
    PIM still sucks on webOS. Certain things you're used to syncing and having in contacts, calendar and such aren't there in webOS. Certain things that make scheduling and access easier aren't there. People can talk about all the fluff, but these are supposed to be smartphones first and webOS just doesn't do that. The fluff is nice though and it might make the bad PIM bearable. I've suffered on Android and webOS coming from 13yrs of PalmOS sprinkled in with a year so of winmob including the treo pro.

Wish they would've added a half a centimeter to the width and extended the screen up closer to the tope of the phone. Would be a much better experience with the screen and better spacing on the keyboard. The Pixi is so thin already it could easily accommodate some extra width with a reduction of bezel around the screen. Solidly built phone, but still another bad design of wasted real estate. Somewhere between the width of the Pro and Pixi would've been perfect.

Though another plus with the Pixi design is you could easily fit an extended battery in there with a larger back cover and still have the phone feel nice and compact.

Converting contacts should be easy. You can use various programs like gsync to go from outlook to google. You can get a program to do syncing direct to outlook. You can even export from outlook via a csv file and import to google contacts. Just make sure all of your contacts are "My Contacts" or they won't sync, as I just found out.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.