1.    #1  
    Ok, here is my brief and short synapses. I am on my last 24hr before my 30day "trial" ends.

I love the phone, form factor, durability, etc. The only other candybar qwerty I would roll over for would be my Treo 800W.

That being said, here are my gripes (just the gripes as everything else is pretty damn near perfect IMO). I simply need to hear other compelling reasons to stay.

1.) Sluggish at times. Although does not happen often, it happens. Was hosting a Christmas party this weekend using Pandora to stream while hitting another card --> it all came screeching to a halt. I had to reboot which took awhile (near 8 min from reboot to restart and connect of Pandora). While WM devices are not much better and take much less time to reboot; my experience with that and Android certainly made this experience look damn abysmal.

2.) Bluetooth. Frankly it just sucks. My Motorola HT820 headset and T505 speakerphone have been problematic from day one with the phone. They often have issues connecting and staying connected (not so with HTC Touch Pro, Sprint Hero, Treo 800W, etc),.

3.) Low (VERY LOW) speaker phone volume. Hell, if I cannot get my T505 to work consistently then I at least need the internal speaker phone to work at a reasonable volume. No patches for this as far as I can see. FYI-- Hero has a patch for this.

4.) What a mess to install "non-approved" apps. Palm is really killing this platform here IMO. To pour salt on a wound, to upgrade an OS, you need to uninstall and reinstall your patches, apps, etc first. ??? Why should we hack it to begin with to get #1 what the hardware can do natively; #2 what others offer free out of the box? Google and Android hardware manufacturers have an open spec on their offerings; hence such a broad software portfolio in the marketplace. If Palm opened up their platform then they could compete 100%. Right now, we are relegated to jumping through hoops to get the same items both Android and iPhone users get standard.

5.) Lead in from #4. Lack of apps - plain and simple. I had the Hero for 3 weeks and, holy *****, it was a candy store of apps (lots of free unlike Palm). Not to mention it notified you when they needed to be updated, etc. Hardware on my Hero was lackluster (aka severe dust under screen and horrible camera hence my return), but the open platform was incredible. Don't get me wrong, PalmOS is the BEST mobile OS I have ever used with its card method; but, the lack of apps--> ugh, just ugh.

Those are just some of my gripes. There are others, just not deal breakers (like WiFi for some).

Right now I am more frustrated than anything due to two bad (and frankly deal breaking) experiences this past weekend. Severe lag during a Pandora/Holiday event; and #2 -- Bluetooth lag/restart issue (which took 15 min to correct) before a run.

Simply put, this is the most incredible piece of mobile hardware I have owed from a quality and formfactor standpoint (thin, light, durable). What troubles me is the material under it (OS, adoption, openness). I simply don't want to pick solely on hardware alone; and, won't pick on OS alone. Are there more compelling reasons I should stay with WebOS or should I do as MSN Money did and right them off? I understand opinions may be biased in this forum, but any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
    Pandora is a pig on resources. That is a given. I'm not sure why, but it is a real dog. I've only used Bluetooth A2DP headsets, but not had a problem.

Yes, the Pre lags at times. Some apps are the culprit. If I haven't rebooted it in a while and I know I'm gonna work it hard, I give it a three finger salute (Opt + Sym + R). Cleans everything up.

Installing "Homebrew" shouldn't be really hard. Go into dev mode. WebOS Quick Install Preware. Use that for everything.

I really believe that Palm has more cards up their sleeve. Just working with the group as a developer, I feel the excitement and frustrations when they can't go as fast as they want.

I don't know of a smart phone platform that fits my needs better, right now, than the Pre. And I really believe that another 6 months will have changes that make it much better.

iPhone - Too locked in and dumbed down the the lowest common denominator on far too many things. Navigating around the UI is frankly demeaning after WebOS.

Android - Has to get past the problem of too many different devices and capabilities. It already is fragmented in various software versions and most likely to get worse.

Nokia - Maemo is great, but not slick. If you want Linux in the palm of your hand, Maemo is hard to beat. If you can afford a $600 phone.

Blackberry - Unless they pull a Palm and do a complete rewrite, they are dead. Plain and simple. The OS is OLD and like Palm OS, sustained by inertia only.

That's the way I see it. The only thing right now that would take me from a Pre is a WiFi Pixi. But I don't want to second mortgage the house, just for a WiFi Pixi on Verizon.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by svx View Post
    4.) What a mess to install "non-approved" apps. Palm is really killing this platform here IMO. To pour salt on a wound, to upgrade an OS, you need to uninstall and reinstall your patches, apps, etc first. ??? Why should we hack it to begin with to get #1 what the hardware can do natively; #2 what others offer free out of the box? Google and Android hardware manufacturers have an open spec on their offerings; hence such a broad software portfolio in the marketplace. If Palm opened up their platform then they could compete 100%. Right now, we are relegated to jumping through hoops to get the same items both Android and iPhone users get standard.
    Huh? After a quick webOS Quick Install load to get Preware on your device, how hard is it to install Homebrew? Also, you only need to uninstall PATCHES before an upgrade, which happens ever 6-8 weeks... and with a quick EPR run and a reboot, all your patches are off. and then after the update, spend 5 minutes installing your patchs and reboot. DONE! And, webOS Internals are even working to make this easier so its all done with one click of a button! and from what I understand, this is a WHOLE LOT EASIER than jailbraking an iPhone
    I doubt the problems you are having are going to just go away in the next few months. If you're on the fence about it, you should return the phone and get something else for now. Presumably, these problems will be addressed to your satisfaction at some point in the future, at which time, you can always return when the device is more mature. Not everyone wants to be a beta tester. It sounds like that is what you are feeling. If I'm wrong, please disregard.
    ^^ I agree. If there is any doubt in your mind at all, go ahead and return it. It will be 11 months before you're eligible for upgrade again. If you're not at least 95% sure you want the Pixi for the next year, go for something else.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    OMG! I hate long post at night.

What ever you decide. Good luck and just be happy.
    I'm conflicted because I just bought the pixi for my wife--love it, but am wondering now if I should return it and hold out a bit for wifi (signal at home is a bit weak, and the web browsing is currently slow)...I hear you on the complaint list, but man I've been impressed w/the pixi.