Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Makes you wonder if the hardware has been there all along on the Sprint Pixi.
    Was there ever a pixi tear down? I would love it if you could just do a software update and get WiFi up and running on the Sprint Pixi.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Was there ever a pixi tear down? I would love it if you could just do a software update and get WiFi up and running on the Sprint Pixi.
    I very much doubt that Sprint's Pixi has WiFi "hidden" somewhere. Even if it does, Palm would be required to re-submit the P120EWW for FCC testing prior to enabling the phantom WiFi.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Dieter makes a good case that Sprint specified no Wi-Fi in the Pixi.

Makes you wonder why they would do that.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Well that sorta sucks. Getting my Pixi on Monday. Oh well, like a few others have said, I have never had WiFi on my phones so I won't be missing it! Just a missed opportunity I guess.
    i'm just guessing but i think palm was just being cheap and went with the cheaper chipset (which has been verified in teardowns elsewhere I believe) that is probably cheaper in every way to the Pres including lack of wifi...

them saying sprint was not wanting it... translation... sprint wanted a cheaper phone and so they eliminated wifi. if palm did bend to sprint then their fault for not fighting harder and making the phone they should have.

they underestimated the market and the competition where they didnt expect a $99 iphone or $99 hero or eris, etc and have a phone that lags behind the other $99 phones that it has to basically give them away in new contracts.

lame for sprint cause why would you want a sprint pixi when you will probably get it for same price on verizon WITH wifi.

thank goodness palm is going to be available on verizon and with the pixi that they should have released with sprint. IMO the sprint/palm relationship has been a big failure.

Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    I very much doubt that Sprint's Pixi has WiFi "hidden" somewhere. Even if it does, Palm would be required to re-submit the P120EWW for FCC testing prior to enabling the phantom WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i'm just guessing but i think palm was just being cheap and went with the cheaper chipset (which has been verified in teardowns elsewhere I believe) that is probably cheaper in every way to the Pres including lack of wifi...
    do you think that it will be the same chipset in the Verizon version with a WiFi radio inserted or an entirely different chipset?

they underestimated the market and the competition where they didnt expect a $99 iphone or $99 hero or eris, etc and have a phone that lags behind the other $99 phones that it has to basically give them away in new contracts.
    they should have known better considering the iPhone has been at that $99 price point for some time now.

lame for sprint cause why would you want a sprint pixi when you will probably get it for same price on verizon WITH wifi.
    here's to hoping people will stick with Sprint because of the plan savings.

thank goodness palm is going to be available on verizon and with the pixi that they should have released with sprint. IMO the sprint/palm relationship has been a big failure.
    someone said that Palm going with Sprint was akin to Google going with Tmobile out of the gates. they didnt go with a huge name like Verizon or AT&T and were able to relatively quietly get a user test base going without all of the eyes on it that would have been had they gone larger. that, to me, makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    someone said that Palm going with Sprint was akin to Google going with Tmobile out of the gates. they didnt go with a huge name like Verizon or AT&T and were able to relatively quietly get a user test base going without all of the eyes on it that would have been had they gone larger. that, to me, makes sense.
    From what I understood, AT&T didn't want the G1 (pressure from Apple and all) and verizon wanted to gimp up the phone. That pretty much leaves t-mobile and sprint. Also, the smaller companies would be willing to give the phone a lot more attention and would invest a lot more in the success of the device. Same thing happened when AT&T got the iphone. A few years ago AT&T was much, much smaller.

even though its easy for me to say the relationship has been a failure and they went on the cheap with pixi... again i cant argue that they probably didnt have much choice... they had an existing relationship with sprint and going elsewhere may not been an option cause who wants to bet on a sinking ship.

just seems everything wrong with the pre just comes down to not having a choice and not having more time and things are the way they are and dealing with it now... like the app store still being in beta, etc.

but i think sprint could have marketed and supported the pre better and havent.

as for the rest, i am not sure since the verizon news is all new.

will be interesting that they have chipsets for sprint pre, sprint pixi, gsm pre, and verizon pixi with wifi with software versions for each?

Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post

but i think sprint could have marketed and supported the pre better and havent.
    absolutely. during ONE football game today i must have seen a dozen Sprint ads and while the Pre was used in the ads, there was no mention of it on its own.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Dieter makes a good case that Sprint specified no Wi-Fi in the Pixi.

Makes you wonder why they would do that.
    21 minutes into the first Engadget show, Rubenstein is careful to point out that the omission of WiFi was Sprint's decision.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    A Pixi with wifi is an interesting development, but I don't know that going to Verizon helps or hurts. Let's assume that Verizon is the best network. That would suggest that the phones they sell would be the most popular. Not so. Verizon has only recently started focusing on getting good phones. The iPhone is on AT&T, the nations most hated network. The iPhone is being sold as fast as Apple can make them despite the network. In the debate between desirable phone or great network, desirable phone wins every time.

If you put the Pixi, or the Pre for that matter, next to other great, possibly better phones, the Palm phone loses to the competitive offering much more so than when they are on Sprint. Now, imagine an iPhone on Verizon sitting next to the WebOS device. Game over. What I am saying is that on Sprint, Palm stands out and becomes an easier choice. On Verizon, I believe they get lost in the shuffle.
    Getting their wares onto carriers like Verizon and AT&T, who both have more than double the amount of subscribers than Sprint, isn't anything but a good thing.
    I am guessing the Verizon Pixi would be more expensive than the Sprint Pixi, especially if Verizon won't offer the Pre.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Before discounts I save $20/month on my Sprint plan vs. the same Verizon plan. The savings is even greater after discounts since Sprint offers a 5% more discount than Verizon does in my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    I am guessing the Verizon Pixi would be more expensive than the Sprint Pixi, especially if Verizon won't offer the Pre.
    In all likely-hood Verizon will have both the Pre and Pixi.

Sprint took WiFi off the Pixi because they didn't want it to cannibalize Pre sales. Just look at how many people on here would switch to the Pixi "if it only had WiFi." Sprint's exclusivity on the Pre is based on sales; they're trying to get their exclusivity extended as long as they can to keep it off Verizon.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Let's just hope it has something to do with the software. If so, someone can enable Wifi on Sprint's Pixi when Verizon's version becomes available.
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    Sprint took WiFi off the Pixi because they didn't want it to cannibalize Pre sales. Just look at how many people on here would switch to the Pixi "if it only had WiFi." Sprint's exclusivity on the Pre is based on sales; they're trying to get their exclusivity extended as long as they can to keep it off Verizon.
    The exclusivity has been a set 6 months from the start, and it's been confirmed several times that the Pre is heading for VZ early next year.
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shado.F View Post
    Let's just hope it has something to do with the software. If so, someone can enable Wifi on Sprint's Pixi when Verizon's version becomes available.
    You have to have the actual WiFi chip in order to use WiFi
    This has me wondering if the wfi radio is actually on the Pixi, but just disabled. Has anyone seen any teardowns yet? I've searched, but cannot find a one...
    Quote Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
    This has me wondering if the wfi radio is actually on the Pixi, but just disabled. Has anyone seen any teardowns yet? I've searched, but cannot find a one...
    If there was there wouldn't be a need to submit another FCC test for a Pixi w/ WiFi.
    The first time the Pixi went through the FCC there wasn't any mention of WiFi. If a company makes a change to the hardware, it would need to pass the FCC again which will then have a different model/build #.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast