Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was scared this was going to happen... I got my Pixi review unit from Palm today and I am blown away by the Pixi.

I've had my Pre since launch day and thought the Pixi would be to my Pre what the Centro was to my Treo (nice, but inferior). I always thought the Centro's screen was just way too small compared to my 755p. While the Pixi's screen is definitely smaller than the Pre, it doesn't seem to bring up that feeling I thought when reviewing the Centro. I am used to the screen

I was expecting the processor to be a problem since I'm used to the Pre, but I haven't noticed any lag (yet). I've been running Pandora and keeping about 5 cards open at once and am very impressed by this little guy.

It feels great in the hand, is unbelievably thin, battery life seems to be pretty good, and if it had WiFi my Pre would be hitting ebay asap.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I was wondering what Pre owners thought when switching to the Pixi. Thanks for the info, I'm thinking about making the switch as well since Palm cant seem to lock down on the oreo affect with the slider.
    I just picked up a pixi for the girl. She loves it, although i've seen the lag on the pixi already. Not too bad, certainly leaves me to believe palm has a bit more tweaking on the Pre to do for it to really show its ability. All in all its great to not have to be the nav guy, pizza finder guy, what's that guy all by myself!
  4.    #4  
    The sticking point for me is WiFi, even though I went years without WiFi with my Palm OS Treos while almost every other smartphone had WiFi.

I'm also really liking the Pixi keyboard. It's more on par with the Treo 755p's keyboard which is my favorite keyboard ever. I was expecting a Centro like feel to it, glad to say it's got a good keyboard.

Why Palm? Why?
    Jimmie Geddes
    I bought one for the wife..... and I must admit I would rather have it than the pre. I love the form factor.
  6.    #6  
    I am seriously contemplating making the switch from the Pre to the Pixi.

1. Build quality is better on the Pixi
    2. My typing is faster and more accurate on the Pixi (similar to the way my typing was on my Treo 755p).
    3. Love the candy bar form factor
    4. Feels great in the hand

The big deal for me is WiFi, or lack there of. I don't know if I can give it up (I do carry an iPhone 3GS as well, so I wouldn't be totally WiFi-less, lol). Up until my Pre all of my Palm OS Treos were WiFi free and that was never a deal breaker.

I live in the NNJ/NYC area so I always have EVDO coverage. I had to do the 1.3.2 update on the Pixi today and was expecting a long install, it was done in a few minutes.

Why does Palm have to do this to me?? lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    yeah, the lack of wifi is a deal breaker...plus I expect to see some leaps in what the pre can do over the pixi...although the pixi's processor must really be making Qualcomm happy.
    Yup, WiFi is the deal breaker for me as well. I might get one for my wife to replace her Centro, she doesn't really care about WiFi. I really like the Pixi keyboard, although that's not enough reason to swith for me by itself.
    I made the switch already to the pixi form the pre. Other then WiFi which I never used anyway for me the pixi blows the pre outta the water. I keep hearing folks talking about a lag on the pixi but, I have no lagging and actually did on the pre. Biggest reason for my switching was the form factor. The pixi is tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I am seriously contemplating making the switch from the Pre to the Pixi.

1. Build quality is better on the Pixi
    2. My typing is faster and more accurate on the Pixi (similar to the way my typing was on my Treo 755p).
    3. Love the candy bar form factor
    4. Feels great in the hand

The big deal for me is WiFi, or lack there of. I don't know if I can give it up (I do carry an iPhone 3GS as well, so I wouldn't be totally WiFi-less, lol). Up until my Pre all of my Palm OS Treos were WiFi free and that was never a deal breaker.

I live in the NNJ/NYC area so I always have EVDO coverage. I had to do the 1.3.2 update on the Pixi today and was expecting a long install, it was done in a few minutes.

Why does Palm have to do this to me?? lol.
    I have to agree with everything you say here. It's a really well designed and sturdy phone. I'd add just one concern to the list (besides WiFi) - when in card view the cards are oddly shaped compared to the Pre. Really, that's it, and I think it's something I could get used to over time, however coming from the Pre it throws you off for a second or two. When they come out with a more powerful, feature filled version of the Pixi I'll be all over it.
    The Pixi is a sweet phone and I look forward to playing with the one I get for the daughter next week, (and teaching her the OS) but I plan to stick with Pre till the next WebOS phone comes out. I've had my since 060609 and only had the 3.5 jack issue that was fixed by cleaning it, so I'm still gaga for my Pre.

I could do without the wifi, but I would miss the bigger screen now that I'm spoiled with it on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregandTink View Post
    The Pixi is a sweet phone and I look forward to playing with the one I get for the daughter next week, (and teaching her the OS) but I plan to stick with Pre till the next WebOS phone comes out. I've had my since 060609 and only had the 3.5 jack issue that was fixed by cleaning it, so I'm still gaga for my Pre.
    Lots to like about the Pixi, but when I compared it to the screen on my old Lotus, well, there just didn't seem to be all that much difference. If I'm going to have a phone with a kick-**** browser, I want a screen to match.

I could do without the wifi, but I would miss the bigger screen now that I'm spoiled with it on the Pre.
    I said the same thing... until it was gone and I stumbled into an area where Sprint coverage was poor. Then it became a b-i-g deal.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I got my wife a Pixi for christmas she is liking it a lot. I thought it would be slow for downloading apps but it is actually lightning fast. I downloaded the 1.3.2 update much faster than I thought it would, about as fast as it would go over wifi. And I only get about 1-3 bars at home.

I have a pre, but the pixi's keyboard is much kinder to the fingers, and the form factor feels great in the hand.

The deal breaker for me is the small screen. I think the Pre's is too small as it is, the Pixi's is that much smaller. It is a nice looking though.

The next Palm must have screen the size of the droid or Iphone.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    As a guy whose spent hours in the Sprint stores playing with the pixi (and soon to be owner), to me, the Pre wasn't really an option. I dont use nor need wifi, and the form factor and keyboard sold me in a heartbeat. The camera doesn't bother me, nor does the screen size. However, i was wondering if the processor was going to be a problem (only so much you can do in the Sprint store before they ask too many questions >.>) So im happy to hear that even Pre owners want to switch.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    I came from a Palm Pro and Im enjoying the Pixi. As far as the Pre, just wish I had the larger screen. Otherwise, the Pixi is doing a heck of a job impressing me.
    What drew you to the Pixi over the Pre, honda?
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk0625 View Post
    What drew you to the Pixi over the Pre, honda?
    I looked at both really hard then looked online for more info. Even the girl at the Sprint store was trying to push me into the Pre. In fact, the Sprint store in my area had Pre's in stock but didnt carry the Pixi. Anyways, after all of that I realized the Pixi was more comfortable for me. The slide phone and little buttons just wouldnt cut it with my big hands. Like I noted before, if the Pixi screen was a little bigger it would be a 9 out of 10 in my view.
    Okay, since we all know the Pixi is going to VZW, do you think their version will have any other differences besides wifi? Like a better processor or screen? Anything?
    My wife got a Pixi for Christmas. We really struggled over whether to get her a Pre or a Pixi. I have a Pre, and felt it was the better phone overall. She had a Centro, and really liked the form factor. I think the two final deciding factors was that, and the fact that she tends to be harder on phones than I am.

I have to admit, I was more impressed with the Pixi than I thought I would be. The keyboard is definitely better, and the things in the "con" column did't hit as badly as I thought. The lag is minimal, she doesn't miss WiFi because she never had it (this would be a deal breaker for me), and though the camera is less than the Pre, it's better than the Centro.

I don't think I would switch, but I am thrilled that the Pixi is apparently beginning to gain a reputation as a solid device on its own, instead of being a "baby Pre".
    My wife has a pixi and I really do like it. It feels really good in the hand, is less slippery than the pre, and has a better keyboard, IMO. I prefer the Pre's bigger screen and the wifi of course. Performance wise, I honestly don't notice much difference between the two. Palm did well with the Pixi, me thinks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast