Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    So I have had my Pixi for a couple of weeks now and I am debating whether or not to switch back to my Blackberry Pearl. While I like the Pixi, there are a few missing features that my Blackberry has and the Pixi doesn't that are quickly becoming deal breakers for me.

The vibrate feature on the phone is really unimpressive. I usually miss calls or texts when its set to vibrate.
    No predictive texting, which slows things down.
    Lack of a spell check feature.
    Lack of customizability for notifications. On my Blackberry I could customize what happened when I received a text, facebook, BB message, or email. On the Pixi I don't think this is possible (or I haven't figured it out). The fact that there are only two ring settings (ringer on and ringer off) is very frustrating too. My phone is a 24 hour device but unfortunately I sleep 8 hours a day and want the phone silenced. I should be able to set it to a silent profile without having to dig into several menus to change settings for my "ringer off" profile to "silent"
    No option to delete email on just the handheld. Email must be deleted on both handheld and email inbox (unlike Blackberry)

Aside from these caveats, I really like the phone and my pixi wipes the floor with the blackberry when it comes to anything media related (web browsing, photo viewing, content streaming, etc). I am obsessed with opening applications and going into card view and flicking them away to close them, and the UI is about 10 times more attractive than Blackberry OS, but I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons in this situation.

Has anyone else experienced these frustrations? Will homebrew apps come out that will do predictive texts and allow me to customize notification alerts?
    Predictive text with a QWERTY keyboard? Are you serious?

When I delete an email from my phone, it gets deleted. Not sure how you've got things setup on your phone.

Not sure what you mean by customizable notifications and I'm not sure I'd care if a person contacts me via facebook, sms, gmail, etc...it's not like I think differently of them depending on their choice of communication method.

Spell check would be nice.
    Personally I'd stick with the Pixi, but choose whichever phone best suits your needs. The Blackberry web browser is quite terrible if I recall...
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webosuser View Post
    I guess not so much predictive texting, but just a way to make sure my spelling is correct!
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Pete6032,

If you haven't yet, you should check out Preware...it's an app that lets you install Homebrew applications as well as some patches.

The patch you're looking for is called "SMS Tone Per Contact".

It gives you...

A) The ability to assign different sounds to...Calendar events, Text Messages, E-mail alerts
    B) The ability to assign a custom sound to an individual person

I too came from a Blackberry (Storm)...and seriously missed the flexibility in notification. The "Da-Donk" sound means I have an email...or maybe a text message...or maybe a low battery. Makes it kind of useless.

There are many useful patches in Preware but, for me, the SMS Tone Per Contact patch is invaluable.

Oh, there's also a "3000 most common words" addition to the auto-correct dictionary patch. While it's not true "spell check", it's a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by webosuser View Post
    Dude, calm down. Windows Mobile phones have this feature. Helps a lot when you have one hand holding a railing on a bus and you're typing. On my Treo Pro after the first 2 letters it suggests up to 4 predictable words.
    Sheesh...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    is turning the phone to vibrate with the ringer switch not good enough?
    Not when you've been spoiled with all the options that BB offers you. Why is it too much to ask for profiles?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    is turning the phone to vibrate with the ringer switch not good enough?
    Don't want to sound picky, but my RAZR (1999?) gave me 3 or 4 profiles. I usually wake up when my phone vibrates, so it would be nice to have an "all silent" profile, yes.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I too came from a blackberry (curve). I am staying with the Pixi but a spell check option would be nice.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    OK I spent some time with Preware this evening and I installed the LED blink notification patch and also came across the 3000 word auto-correct patch. There is also an app called Vibrate Toggle that allows you to quickly toggle between vibrate and silent when the ringer is switched off. All you do is launch the app and it will switch between vibrate and silent. I can live with that. And the 3000 auto-correct patch, while not a real replacement for a spell checker, is sort of helpful.

I'm really impressed with all the apps available, and now I'm thinking it might be worthwhile biting the bullet and staying with WebOS since it looks like the developer community is helping the development along with all these patches and tweaks.
    If you want to delete emails on your phone but not on your desktop/web, you need to set your email server to POP instead of IMAP or Exchange. Gmail, for example, by default is set to IMAP.