Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Hmm, this is really purplexing. Switched touchstones with my wife again (her problem Pixi on my touchstone, my Pre on her Toucshstone), and as before, both of our phones are at 100%. Strange as it sounds, I'm beginning to suspect that it has something to do with the much more aggressive ambient light sensor on the Pixi. This "partial charge" only ever happens at night, and her touchstone is in a location that does not get as much morning sunlight, while mine is out on top of my nightstand.

As far as I can tell, this not a "partial charge" issue. Seems like our Pixi charges up to 100% just fine, and we've seen it charged to 100% in the middle of the night, but it sometimes starts trickling down. I know there's some anti-overcharge circuitry (built into the charger?) that stops charging at 100%, then starts charging again at ~95%, so maybe under certain circumstances, the Pixi doesn't resume charging.

To answer your question, on a touchstone, the phone shows a special clock screen at all times. Here's where I think the Pixi's ambient light sensor might come into play. When it's dark, the Pixi will autodim the screen, both on and off the touchstone. As far as I can tell, the Pre never does this (it's always stays the same bright on the touchstone, albeit with the dark clock screen). My new pet theory is that when the dimmed, touchscreen clock screen is on, the Pixi can't resume charging once the smart-charging circuitry kicks in. My touchstone gets enough morning light that her Pixi would undim and resume charging early enough that it hits 100% by the time I wake up to check. Well, obviously I have a lot more testing to do. What's annoying is that I an only test one thing at a time!

Don't know what to make of your situation. 2 hours should have been enough to charge from 65% to 100%, but not enough time to go from 65 to 100 then drain back down to 82%. Especially since it didn't change over a half hour. Her Pixi has 5 patches (Any Date MM/DD/YY, Call Duration, Char Counter (in sms), Dialpad tones off, Hide Nascar App). I don't have any of those patches on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info on the clock.

I wouldn't say it was exactly 2 hours, just a round about guess, I didn't time it because I assumed mine would work correctly and it was just a fluke but I was wrong! You are right about it being really dim at night and brighter during the day so you might have figured it out, I was thinking something around the same thing. That once it hit 100% it stopped charging, and since it kept the clock screen on, that would drain the battery, at a good brightness that could drop rapidly. But why would it stop in the 80% range? Like the charge "restarted" to stop further drain but never goes back over that mark, doesn't add up.

I might need to do some tests also. Its not really that big of a deal though, they charge so fast anyway, I can always just pick it up and drop it back on the TS dock in the morning and jump in the shower, would be full for work.

I never kept mine plugged in all night before. Call me paranoid or stuck on old habits, but back in the 90's I recall it wasn't a good idea to keep them plugged in at max charge would wear the battery out or something, back when they were Alk or NiCad or whatever. I know they have the anti-charge thing on them these days but I never got out of that practice. Normally if I plug it in after work and take it off before bed, would only drop to about 88%ish over night.

Mine was at 76% this morning when I got done with some work outside, I just went and put it on the dock, which is located in a dark room, going to check it periodically to see if it hits 100, and if it lowers after that.

Maybe you are right and its a sensor thing, which should be able to be patched in an update I would imagine, as long as they can duplicate the issue.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    More interesting observations-- when the Pixi is stuck at 84% on the touchstone, it will neither drain nor charge, even if taxed (video streaming, etc). Just stays at 84%. I'm going to try to make use of the Battery Monitor app in home brew to graph it's charge state through the night. My impression is that it goes to 100% then drains to 84% every night. I've caught it at 100% and also on it's way down from 100 to 84%. During one of the discharge cycles, I managed to get a Battery Monitor reading and it was draining at 20% an hour, which is faster than the normal, off-TS rate of ~2-3% an hour. So the discharging seems to be an active process.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Funny, I was going to post an update too, heh. Mine hasn't done the discharge thing, but it def has been stopping at exactly 84 the last few days. Doesn't matter what time of day I start the charge, it will stop at 84% until re-lift it and set it back down. It will then go to 100 and stay there until I remove it. Even if it hits 84 at 3 pm it won't restart until I touch it, or my PreSet reset goes off at 4am and finishes the job. Its always at 100 in the morning. I would recommend this homebrew app if anyone else is having these issues with their TouchStone.

If its discharging I would think something is faulty, either the back cover contacts or the base. I dunno what else it may be.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    For what it's worth, the past 3 days, I've put the Pixi on the Touchstone while running Battery Monitor (Homebrew), with graphing enabled. Every morning, I've woken up with a fully charged Pixi. Not sure what to make of it.
    Yesterday I experienced that the Pre with internet radio on on the touchstone was actually discharging instead of charging.

After an hour of testing and staring at the battery monitor, it became evident that batteries temperature supervision had kicked in. Once it reached 50C, it stopped charging and when it reached ~48C it started charging again.

Unfortunately while the battery is too hot to charge, the Pre again drains power from it instead of using the touchstone's power.

So maybe it's worth having a look at the battery temperature when you're experience incomplete charges.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12