Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    'cause I am hard pressed to find one. Seriously.....I am looking to buy a phone for my 14 yr old son and can't find a phone with similar features and capabilities for the same price as a Pixi. Anyone have a sggestion?

anyone have any experience with a Instinct?
    The Instict has been pretty widely panned thanks to the incomplete and buggy nature of the 1.0 product. Not sure if the later revisions have fixed those issues, but they definitely haven't made the Instinct anything more than a run-of-the-mill featurephone.

Right now, I'd say it's tough to beat the Pixi. It's a capable (albeit entry-level) smartphone with an intuitive OS that's fun to use. For a 14-year-old who's likely going to text a lot, the keyboard is a nice feature as well. Plus, it's thin!

If you're getting one for him on a new line of service, though, you'd likely be better off getting the Pixi from Amazon or Walmart - I've seen them as low as $25 with a new contract.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    no, would be a re-up on my plan. Wonder if it would be cheaper to just add a new line and cancel his. We don't care about the phone number. Hmmm. Thoughts?
    If your son's line is out of contract, then yes. If no, then no (taking ETF into consideration). Either way, $99 is still an excellent price for what you're getting with the Pixi.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    I got my 14 year old son the pixi, and now all his friends want one.. multitouch gets alot of attention so does the flash.
    Last edited by migs; 12/08/2009 at 03:11 PM.
    DON'T get Instink! I went through six of 'em in eight months, and it is "just" a feature phone. I realize that people are replacing Pres at a high rate, but that is usually (not always, please don't flame) a hardware issue. Instink is built like a tank but if you breath on it the wrong way the software glitches and the phone becomes a brick. You can't brick a Pre or Pixi.

My two cents...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    DON'T get Instink! I went through six of 'em in eight months, and it is "just" a feature phone. I realize that people are replacing Pres at a high rate, but that is usually (not always, please don't flame) a hardware issue. Instink is built like a tank but if you breath on it the wrong way the software glitches and the phone becomes a brick. You can't brick a Pre or Pixi.

My two cents...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post

My two cents...
    Hahaha "breathe on it the wrong way" thats hilarious.

If I was your 14 year old son I'd **** my pants if I got a sexy phone like the pixi, that thing is awesome!

And yeah there isnt a better phone on sprint, or any other carrier for that matter. (any phone sans webOS is inferior)
    Please DO NOT get a Instinct!!! You will regret it for the rest of your life!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    There's always the Pre for $79.99 from Amazon, or the Pixi for $29.99 from Amazon.

I'll echo the sentiments here, avoid the Instinct as if it were the plague. I'd suggest a BlackBerry Curve or Pearl before suggesting that thing.
    But the Amazon deal is only good if you buy a new contract.

Where's the best place for a Pre or Pixi for those that are upgrade eligible?
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post

Try Best Buy. it's hit or miss though.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    Try Best Buy. it's hit or miss though.
    I did, today, the day AFTER the $99 deal went away. The guy told me he'd still honor the $99, but I would have to activate the phone today. I am looking to upgrade my son's Samsung Rant to a Pre for Christmas. Clearly I can't activate it today only to have his current phone deactivated between now and Christmas.

I also don't mind spending $100 for a phone for him, but $150 just isn't gonna happen. I love him a lot, but I'm a cheap b*stard!
    I did, today, the day AFTER the $99 deal went away. The guy told me he'd still honor the $99, but I would have to activate the phone today. I am looking to upgrade my son's Samsung Rant to a Pre for Christmas. Clearly I can't activate it today only to have his current phone deactivated between now and Christmas.

I also don't mind spending $100 for a phone for him, but $150 just isn't gonna happen. I love him a lot, but I'm a cheap b*stard!
    after you activate it you can hurry up and switch the number back to his old phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    after you activate it you can hurry up and switch the number back to his old phone.
    And then I'm on the hook for an additional $20/month for the new phone I just added that I don't need. Or, am I missing something?

You should also try calling Sprint telesales directly. They sometimes will pricematch bestbuy deals. They have for me in the past fyi. Not so sure about internet deals like those found on amazon but its worth the shot...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

I've got a good relationship with my local sprint store. I went in and bought the pixi for the girl. I mentioned best buy having no rebate and they waived it for me. worth a shot. ymmv.
    And then I'm on the hook for an additional $20/month for the new phone I just added that I don't need. Or, am I missing something?
    if his line is eligible for an upgrade, and youre upgrading his line you can.....

go into the store....

go through the process of upgrading and getting the phone for 99 dollars....

walk outside or whatever and call sprint and give them the ESN of the original phone and tell them to turn that one back on.

you can even tell them why you want to do that (christmas gift and all) and im sure theyll understand.

it wont be a matter of starting a new line of service, just flip flopping the physical phone that is tied to that line/number temporarily til Christmas.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I just went to Best Buy last night after stopping at WalMart. Walmart is advert the Pixi but didnt have any in stock at the store. So I look up on my Pre if my local Best Buy has a Pixi and sure enough they do. I walk in and the salesman asks if Im ok. I go to walk away and say, Im all set, i wanted see what the price was since Walmart has the Pixi for $25. He says I can give you the Pixi for that price, Im like WHAT! Yup, he price matched the Pixi, and I walked out of Best Buy with a new line on my family plan for $26. The phone is for my son and thinks the Pre is cool with the swiping and asked about the Pixi. How can I pass up a Pixi for $25? I have played with Android and the IPhone and neither of the UI impressed me. I multitask like a madman and the Pre works best for me. Playing around with the Pixi and I have to say Im impressed even though some reviews said it was kinda watered down Pre. My son is gonna be excited, Im excited and cant thank Best Buy enough for price matching.
    You playing with Android and your son playing with Android are two different things entirely. Upgraded my boss's son to the Hero from the Instinct, and he's taken to it really well. My boss has the Moment, and his son is constantly showing him things on it. I showed him how to set up his gmail account and he was off to the races. He's also 12. Big screen, widgets for him to customize all the home screens with visual bookmarks, mp3 player, facebook widget and so on. Think those customizable home screens has more appeal to kids. One nice thing is without a credit card he only has access to the free apps in the market, which is plentiful, but it keeps the wallet in check.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.