1.    #1  
    Does anyone think that the Pixis priced too high and doesn't have enough features to justify it? The MxWeb as a blog post about it "race to the bottom". It's definitely worth a look.

Palm Pixi: A Race to The Bottom | The Mx Web
    i think 100 dollars, while a fair price, is too high solely based on it's competition in that price range. regardless of the feature set compared to the Pre, between the two there is still a HUGE difference in which type of user will pick each one. the Pixi is GREAT for the messaging and Facebook crowd and the Pre is GREAT for the more serious user who will put to more use the PIM features and whatnot.

but at the 30 dollar pricepoint, between it's features and looks, the Pixi is hard to beat. really it's only competition at that point is the Droid Eris.
    At Sprint's price, yes it is to high. But at the Amazon and Walmart's price it is right. Sprint should have it priced at $50.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    considering the the BB 8830, HTC Snap, Treo 755p, i920 are all $100 and the feature phones like Instinct s30, Razr VE20, Moto Debut, i365 are $100 and 3 more above 100 the pixi is actually priced pretty nicely. Then on top of that walmart and other place are selling it for sub $30.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    The jitterbug sells for $147
    Not for nothing, but I got mine for $24.99 with free shipping from Amazon, and the activation fee was waived.
    If anyone can demonstrate that the Pixi is actually slower than the Pre, please show me how. I've tried. I can't find it. IMHO there are only two things that differentiate the Pixi and the Pre: screensize and wifi. Processor speed isn't one of them.

I'd really like reviewers do either of the following:
    1. stop using "slower processor" as a knock on the Pixi, or
    2. demonstrate the criteria under which the Pixi actually performs worse than the Pre
    Twitter: dullgeek
    The $100 is high, but people who really want the pixi will pay it. It could be a conscious decision by Sprint to get the people who crave the Pixi to pay more. Likely, the price will fall in Sprint stores and Amazon/Walmart will drop even more to a full rebate.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    If anyone can demonstrate that the Pixi is actually slower than the Pre, please show me how. I've tried. I can't find it. IMHO there are only two things that differentiate the Pixi and the Pre: screensize and wifi. Processor speed isn't one of them.

I'd really like reviewers do either of the following:
    1. stop using "slower processor" as a knock on the Pixi, or
    2. demonstrate the criteria under which the Pixi actually performs worse than the Pre
    Having used both the Pre and now having the Pixi for a few weeks, I can tell a difference in the processor speed or whatever it is that is causing the lag.

I try to avoid this by only keeping 2 or 3 cards open, but the lag on it is frustrating. Maybe it has to do with the EVDO radio bug that people are discussing? But I used to run numerous card (8-9) and never noticed it causing a lag that would dictate I close some of the cards to speed up the phone.

I don't care for the slider form compared to the Pixi's- but that's just me, and probably because the keyboard on the Pixi is dynamite, and I have a personal affection for very slim phones. So the Pixi's +'s outweigh it's lacking power for me personally. But, god I wish they would have kept the same specs as the Pre and put it into the Pixi's form factor. Wifi I can live without. But when my m610 is loading webpages through opera mini faster and rendering them better, it's a bit frustrating. The Pre handled web content and load time much much better!

I'm still on the fence about if I'll stick with the Pixi. I do like it, but to drop 99 bucks and use up my 2 year agreement discount is hard to justify at this point. If they can get an update out there in the next few weeks that solves these data / web page loading & lag problems, I'll probably stick with it, b/c I actually do love about 95% of this phone!
    The ONLY downsides is see on the Pixi compared to the Pre are WiFi and Camera. That is it. 2 MP vs 3 MP isn't an issue, but the Pixi is much less sensitive in low light than the Pre, that IS an issue for me. If you are in EVDO coverage all the time, the Pixi is fine without WiFi. It is tempting enough that I almost switched. But I own both now, so I sort of did.

If you keep fewer cards open, the processor speed isn't much of an issue and the only place that the screen size bothers me is when trying to watch 16:9 videos. Although the Pixi seems to squeeze them in a little (think old movie credits) to make it fit. Noticed this when watching football on it during Thanksgiving.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I am betting that at CES Palm will announce work on Pre2 which will hopefully have better build quality. I am also hoping they will release a slab variant too. That way, Palm will have a candy bar, slider and slab (w/ virtual keyboard) options to offer smart phone users.
    I received both the Pixi( $25) and the Pre ($79) from Amazon yesterday and actually find myself using the Pixi more. The keyboard as an input device is leaps and bounds better than on the Pre. Seriously, this $25 WebOS packed feature phone kicks ****. I mean, it's WebOS, which is awesome! In a $25 phone! I'm impressed at what this phone can do every time I pick it up; in terms of price/performance this little phone has the most bang for buck as well as usability of any feature phone i've ever used. Ever. iPhone included.

I'm not sure why people knock the Pixi for being "slower" or less featured because this hasn't been so in my case. Google maps locates me to the block and redraws and pans quickly. I've surfed, sent email replies, had the clock, weather cards open, with music playing in the background and not once have I experienced any lag to make it unuseable. I'd say it doesn't seem any less responsive than my iPhone or the Pre on any given day. Wifi actually ended up being a non-issue with me as the EVDO signal in my area is pretty good, doing the 1.3 update in reasonable time.
    I paid 300 bucks for my pre and now im seeing pricewars for the pixi in the 20s? If thats too expensive then you may wanna keep what you got. Even the pre will get perdy low soon.
    pixi is only overpriced compared to pre and droid eris.

curve 8530 is a direct competitor @ $100 after rebate. Lets check it out

no flash, still 2mp
    lower res screen
    no touchscreen
    no microsd included
    no evdo rev A (0)
    less modern OS
    extremely cheap construction
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    Having used both the Pre and now having the Pixi for a few weeks, I can tell a difference in the processor speed or whatever it is that is causing the lag.
    Can you give some details as to the conditions under which this lag occurs? I'd really like to try and replicate the conditions on both the Pre & the Pixi to see if it's something unique to the Pixi or unique to WebOS. Because in the 2+ weeks that we've had the Pixi, I haven't seen any performance issues on it, that I haven't also seen on the Pre.
    Twitter: dullgeek