Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    TLDR: You're a year into your contract and your phone dies w/o insurance. Which do you pick, the Palm Pixi, or the Blackberry Curve for $50 less. (Amazon doesn't sell mid-contract upgrades).

Full: I'm sorry for the similar topic as the Pixi vs Tour thread, but my girlfriend needs to make this decision. Her BB Pearl which she was happy with is on the fritz (screen whiting out when receiving some SMS, noise burst when answering calls, etc...). She's a little bit into her 2nd year on her Sprint contract and has been happy with the service and price. She doesn't have the insurance for the phone.

Cost is a factor so the $50 isn't meaningless, but I've convinced her that over 2 years of phone payments it's not a significant portion. She needs the device to provide voice services, emails, texts, calendar, alarm, navigation, bluetooth headset, and be a generally useful tool. My friend has had 3 BlackBerry phones fail him in 1 contract, so after her's failed, we're thinking it may be best to avoid it again. She prefers the small size of the Pearl to the Curve, so I think the Pixi is a good fit.

So either based on your needs, or the ones I've stated above, which would you choose?
    While I personally appreciate this type of Q. Is this really the place/forum to ask? I think you know you are guaranteed a biased response here b/c most readers/posters are Pre/Pixi users (including myself). You may want to post in another thread for an unbiased response.

That being said, I STRONGLY considered the Tour. It has an awesome processor/camera and performance is top notch. What killed it for me was the lack of openness to the OS and no touch screen. With Android and WebOS I could tweak the system. Hell, WinMo has been there for yrs. RIM has kept the core BB OS locked down since inception. I love my BB for work, but for play as with my (now) Pixi, it cannot compete IMHO. Bottom line, it comes down to IM/multimedia or business convenience -- Pixi is the fun phone IM/MM phone, the Tour is the business phone.

Hope this helps.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
    Double post.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Well, I seem to read plenty of posts that don't favor the Pre or Pixi here, and many of them seem valid. I guess I'm just happy with the general level of discourse here, so I came to where I expected to find some Pixi users.

I've had experience w/ the BB Pearl and the Pre. I expect the Curve to be nearly identical to the Pearl except the keyboard, but I know the Pixi has some considerable differences from the Pre.

I already convinced her to go for the Pixi, but there's still a month for her to return it if it proves incapable.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Tough choice. The Curve is a much more mature platform, meaning it's more finished. It doesn't really lack much at all. But it is dated software running on dated hardware, hence the price tag (I'm under the assumption that you're referring to the 8330). I don't think that it will go beyond BB OS4.

The Pixi on the other hand is the opposite; nascent software/OS, new hardware (touchscreen/gestures, decent processor). But it is lacking features the BB Curve has had for quite some time (video, customization, etc) due to WebOS version one.

I would go with the Pixi if it was my choice for the following reasons: I DON'T NEED BBM, the web browser is light years ahead, multi-touch screen, OS navigation & multi-tasking, and the sheer potential of future WebOS updates.

This, of course, is based on my needs.
    I'll keep it short:
    If your girlfriend is not totally in love with the Pixi... then she should stay with what she knows which is the BB way of doing things and will enjoy saving the $50.00.

Just my .02!
    JerryM
    Fort Fun Indiana
    Hello Moto Krave ZN4 that thinks it's a Pre or Pixi
    I believe the pixi is the better choice. She might find it difficult at first switching to a new platform, but will eventually come to love WebOS and all it has to offer. Although its not completely matured yet, it still has plenty to offer.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    curve. no offense but the pixi isnt a mans device
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    You shouldn't have to read anything more in this thread than the first reply. If she does a lot of emailing and wants a phone with total convenience and doesn't mind the 0 bling factor, get a blackberry. If she wants bling and more capability and is willing to sacrifice ease of use and a nicer keyboard, get the Pixi.
    I disagree with most people here as I came from a BB and I am on a pre atm but getting my wife a pixi for xmas. After being on WebOS i could never go back to BB OS. Messaging speed on Pre is fast, threaded msgs are great and tons of easy to find history with messages. Email wise, i have both exchange and yahoo mail setup and its pretty much flawless where my co-workers BB gets choked up with the BBServer gets slow. Web-wise WebOS kicks the crap out of BB browser or even Opera-mini and as for Apps, the only decent app on the BB was Viigo news reader so far, i have a ton of better apps on the Pre already.

The only place that the BB wins is on batterylife getting 2 days vs the 1 day on the pre.
    To me, the BB is useless unless you pay for full BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). That said, I'm not a typical user.

My wife is about to move to a Pixi (from her Centro). Our daughter has a BB, and is eyeing the Pixi (that my wife is considering) enviously.

I think one of the big advantages of the Pixi over the BB is the ability to synch deeply to multiple email/calendar/contact accounts. GMail is free for this, BES is not.
    I think the Pixi is what I'd have her go with.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Here's an easier way to access a quick check on battery life, date/time, wi-fi/bluetooth settings, etc.

Instead of tapping on the battery icon on the top right; tap on the time on the upper panel...much easier to access.