Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife recently got a Palm Pixi and I have had a Palm Pre for about 5 months. Over the past two days, her Pixi has randomly shut down three times, each time without any reason. Well, we did not observe the phone as it was shutting down, so it seems pretty random to us. We would only noticed it after picking up the phone to wake the screen up, only to realize that it would be completely shut down. We know for sure that it's not an issue with the amount of charge on the battery because it would start back up fine, and there will be plenty of charge remaining. With my Pre, it used to do the same thing when I would close the slider door, and I discovered that that was caused by the battery being loose. I resolved the issue on my Pre by wedging a piece of paper next to the battery to keep it stable, as was recommended on the forums.

On the Pixi, as far as I can tell, the battery fits very snug. Has anyone else experienced the same thing with their Pixi? We have not been able to figure out what is causing it to shut down.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysohn View Post
    My wife recently got a Palm Pixi and I have had a Palm Pre for about 5 months. Over the past two days, her Pixi has randomly shut down three times, each time without any reason. Well, we did not observe the phone as it was shutting down, so it seems pretty random to us. We would only noticed it after picking up the phone to wake the screen up, only to realize that it would be completely shut down. We know for sure that it's not an issue with the amount of charge on the battery because it would start back up fine, and there will be plenty of charge remaining. With my Pre, it used to do the same thing when I would close the slider door, and I discovered that that was caused by the battery being loose. I resolved the issue on my Pre by wedging a piece of paper next to the battery to keep it stable, as was recommended on the forums.

On the Pixi, as far as I can tell, the battery fits very snug. Has anyone else experienced the same thing with their Pixi? We have not been able to figure out what is causing it to shut down.

Thanks!
    I'm not aware of this problem at all, I haven't experienced this with any of the Pixi's I've come acrossed - including my own. I suggest you go trade it in for a new one, under warranty.
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    its probably a short in either the battery or the contacts on the device. A service center should have a battery tester, so they'll be able to tell if its the battery or the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysohn View Post

Thanks!
    Maybe not exactly the same but on two occasions I found my Pixi to be off, both in the morning (I noticed after the alarm didn't go off). The phone was charged or charging....hope this isn't a recurring problem.
    I too have had random restart issues with my newly acquired pixi. But under different circumstances. Once wheen I had 3 cards open and went to close the pandora app I was met with a complete system freeze for about 20 seconds then restart. Another when I had ONLY the calender app open it started to lag furiously and then restarted. Its happened a couple other times but with 4-7 cards open at those times. Can't decide if I should replace or just punt on the pixi all together.
    Yeah, I have had this problem at least 7 or 8 times since getting thr Pixi about a week ago. Between this, the tiny internet text and random lag problems.... mine goes back tomorrow.

Form factor and good keyboard aren't worth the glaring shortcomings of this device.
    Same issue here, multiple times i've picked the phone up and it has been powered off for no apparent reason.........
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    My wife has had the random "why is my phone off?" issue several times (5-6 times in 2 weeks). She thought her battery was dead, but it was still at 60% - 75% each time. I have installed several patches, but I can't imagine what would cause it to turn off and stay off... We have used 2 different batteries (one is from an old Centro) so we can't point a finger at the battery.
    SPH-8500-->600-->650-->700-->755p-->Pre
  9.    #9  
    i'm glad to know that it's not just me that is experiencing this issue. I've also installed several patches on my wife's Pixi. If anyone figures out the root cause of this issue, or is able to reproduce the unwanted "shut down" of the phone, please share.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    My wife's phone has done this at least twice since we got it on Tuesday.

No patches...totally stock.

Just pick it up to use it...and discover it's off.
    Yeah it was a surprise to me as well when it happened. So far only twice in a few weeks. One time it was over night the other time was during the afternoon. Both times when I was not using the phone. I wonder if it has something to do with Sprint updating either profile or prl and it does this sometimes. Not sure. Although some of you have had a restart during use and/or freezing but that's different from a shut down when not in use..

Either way, it certainly would seem to be software related so not much to worry about.
    Last edited by mspampi; 11/27/2009 at 09:33 PM.
    Same issue here, no idea what the problem is. I love the Pixi however it seems that the device has some major issues.
    battery. i got a new battery a while back popped t in my phone . turns out my phone started popping on and off replaced it and no more turning on and off . so this is the first thing to check out
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerTom View Post
    Maybe not exactly the same but on two occasions I found my Pixi to be off, both in the morning (I noticed after the alarm didn't go off). The phone was charged or charging....hope this isn't a recurring problem.
    I am having the same problem. The Pixi seems to just shut off by itself. I can't depend on it. I thought it was just turning off in my pocket or if I jar it (loose battery?), but I think something else is going on. I plan to take it back and try out a Pre
    we only had that happen once after installing a theme.
    Yeah so far been 3 weeks now and still only has happened twice. Quite stable as of late.
    Same here, Pixi turns off randomly. Purchased same day of its release (11/15). Going to investigate if like the first round of Pre if the battery is loosing contact with the battery.
    Any further resolution to this?

I have had it happen 3 times in ~12 days.
    Happened once to me yesterday.
    this is happening to me too, like 2-3 times a day...is anyone having battery usage issues as well? my battery gets to like 15% every day by 5pm :-(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast