Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    From TFA:
    Worst of all, the cheaper, slower processor in the Pixi makes it slow to open apps, load Web pages and trigger functions. Sometimes it gets ridiculous; you might wait a whole minute for a Web page, for example.
    I don't understand critiques like this. Not after having done my review. It sometimes seems like people know that it's going to be slower and then when they use it, they just conclude that their assumptions were right without actually comparing them side-by-side.

On the other hand, maybe I've got it totally wrong. Can anyone think up a test that would show the Pixi to be slower than the Pre? The only one that I could think of was Wifi, but . If you have an idea for a test that might demonstrate the slowness that all of these reviewers seem to find, please post them to my review thread (above link).
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    This guy has obviously not used the phone. He's publishing an opinion piece in the guise of a review based on pictures and specs. No reference to any test results. There's a word for that.. Lazy.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dabro View Post
    This guy has obviously not used the phone. He's publishing an opinion piece in the guise of a review based on pictures and specs. No reference to any test results. There's a word for that.. Lazy.

If he has said it was great, then it would have been a fair and balanced article right?
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    From TFA:
    I don't understand critiques like this. Not after having done my review. It sometimes seems like people know that it's going to be slower and then when they use it, they just conclude that their assumptions were right without actually comparing them side-by-side.

On the other hand, maybe I've got it totally wrong. Can anyone think up a test that would show the Pixi to be slower than the Pre? The only one that I could think of was Wifi, but . If you have an idea for a test that might demonstrate the slowness that all of these reviewers seem to find, please post them to my review thread (above link).
    I played with both at a Sprint store and for some reason the Pixi would still be loading a page (circle on bottom right still not done yet), stand still for a few secs while i'm trying to flick through the page, then come to life and starts bouncing around. I thought I might have been on a heavy website, so I tried several sites and the Pre never exhibited that behaviour, just the Pixi.

People have mentiond that it might be an EVDO radio bug because switching to 1xrtt only (ironically which is slower) makes it perform with less or no lag. But for now, the ones i've played with do lag randomly system-wide.

I think it would be better to better judge the Pixi after it's first specific update to the EVDO bug although this sort of thing should have manifested itself during quality control or testing.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If he has said it was great, then it would have been a fair and balanced article right?
    Not if he hasn't used the phone or referenced test results from someone who has.
    Your tests seem to show the pixi actually faster. However endgadet's video review of the pixi does show it lagging while opening up a webpage...
    What are your thoughts on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It isn't about being fair and balanced. Those who have used BOTH the Pre and the Pixi know that the Pixi feels JUST AS FAST as the Pre. It surprised me that it was the case. My game plays exactly the same on both devices. I did not expect that.

To anyone who has used both, it is obvious this is a fluff piece with no work. Good or Bad view of the product has nothing to do with not even testing the product you are reviewing.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd210 View Post
    Your tests seem to show the pixi actually faster. However endgadet's video review of the pixi does show it lagging while opening up a webpage...
    What are your thoughts on that?
    I don't know what to say. I tried as best as I could to reproduce the slow performance on the Pixi as compared to the Pre. But I also note that these same reviewers thought that the Pre was fantastically fast. That has not been my experience at all. So my only guess is that all 5 of my Pre's were somehow slower than the review Pre's that engadget (et al) received.

But I don't know. If you can suggest some test that I should perform that will demonstrate the Pixi's relative shortcomings, I'll run it and report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    To anyone who has used both, it is obvious this is a fluff piece with no work. Good or Bad view of the product has nothing to do with not even testing the product you are reviewing.
    I'm not convinced that he didn't actually review the product. What I think happened was that he reviewed the product, but in his head he knew that it was supposed to have a slower processor than the Pre, so whenever something was slower than he expected, he just chalked it up to the hardware differences.

I think reviewers who say the Pixi is slower than the Pre would do well to do side-by-side comparisons. Both phones have random lags from time to time. But on average, I think they perform equally. If that's wrong, please let me know what test I should perform that shows a difference and I'll do it.
    Keep in mind that this is the same guy who recently posted a "hands on" REVIEW of Barnes and Nobles new Nook device that was all glowing.

The problem is that the ACTUAL devices are not yet available...... Something he admitted to later. So his "hands on" review was of what -- a piece of paper issued by Barnes and Noble???

His reviews are very suspect.
    I'm annoyed by his new product category name "App Phone". It's a lame attempt to push a meme that measures all smartphones against the iPhone on Apple's terms.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    I'm annoyed by his new product category name "App Phone". It's a lame attempt to push a meme that measures all smartphones against the iPhone on Apple's terms.
    Hopefully we don't have much to worry about, as the term "app phone" is a recent Pogue creation which will hopefully not catch on.
    He created that stupid term when he reviewed he Droid. His reviews are not very useful. Every review mentions Apple's 100k apps and yada yada yada. He's so played.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I think this guy already had a negative view of the phone before he ever touched it... Assuming he actually did ever really test it?
    If you read the entire review, it's not horrible. Folks don't have to invalidate every review that's not 100% positive. He makes a point of saying:

Anyway, the Pixi is absolutely gorgeous, with a razor-thin (OK, .4-inch-thin) design. The front is flat glossy black; the back is curved hard rubber. It weighs just over 3 ounces. THREE OUNCES!? That's insane. If this phone were any smaller and lighter, it would cease to exist.
    But you have to be careful when you read reviews written by gearheads of gadgets that are designed for beginners. Critics spat on the Centro, too, and that became a $3-million-selling megahit.
    The physical design of the Pixi is a home run, and that $25 deal is going to sell a lot of phones.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    We need various levels of incarceration phones.

iPhone - Federal, pound me in the wallet, Prison

Android - County Lockup

WebOS - Jail in Mayberry, with Andy Griffith letting you out whenever you want.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I don't see what's so bad about the article... Looks fine to me. He even begins and ends the article on some positive notes... Geez some people are sensitive around these parts.
    David Pogue is a known iPhone f@nb0i. TWIT (The Leo Laporte show) Leo, Ryan Block, and the host of cranky geeks talked about how David Pogue bashes all other phones and products not made by Apple and gives glaring reviews for products made by apple even ifhe has issues. Everyone knows he is a huge iPhone f@nb0i. He put up a YouTube video called 'I love my iPhone' **%& David Pogue. No one can get an honest review to help make a purchase from guys like him.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0418 View Post
    David Pogue is a known iPhone f@nb0i. TWIT (The Leo Laporte show) Leo, Ryan Block, and the host of cranky geeks talked about how David Pogue bashes all other phones and products not made by Apple and gives glaring reviews for products made by apple even ifhe has issues. Everyone knows he is a huge iPhone f@nb0i. He put up a YouTube video called 'I love my iPhone' **%& David Pogue. No one can get an honest review to help make a purchase from guys like him.
    You have got to be joking -- even if all of that were true, his Pixi review was a lot better than some others I gave seen. Other reviewers have crucified the device (for legit reasons too). You should take a good review when you get it, instead of holding out for perfection. I think a reviewer would have to be on Palm's payroll to give this phone much better of a review. Be realistic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast