webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus > Pre vs Pixi Video Comparison
Pre vs Pixi Video Comparison

Old 11/19/2009, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've finished my comparison of the Pre vs the Pixi. It's available as a single playlist here:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...aynext_from=PL

Here are all the individual videos:

YouTube - Pre vs Pixi Boot
YouTube - Pre vs Pixi Application Launch
YouTube - Pre vs Pixi Browser EVDO
YouTube - Pre vs Pixi Browser WIFI
YouTube - Pre vs Pixi Cards Test
YouTube - Pre vs Pixi Camera & Photo
YouTube - Pre vs Pixi Processor Clocks

And here's one video that shows a strange issue that my son's Pixi is experiencing:

YouTube - Pixi Ringer Switch

I'm still interested in any other suggestions for things people would like to see compared between the Pre and the Pixi.

Last edited by mu7efcer; 11/20/2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Added CPU Comparison
mu7efcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well done....watching now.

Just finished watching. Thanks for the work, this should save many of us from the need of a store visit to do the same thing. I didn't see anything performance wise that would dissuade me from using a Pixi (I haven't even had 10 cards running on my Pre at one time). The doom and gloom observed by Engadget and others was most certainly missing from your videos. Also missing was any of this supposed EVDO radio bug that slows things down.

Last edited by ryleyinstl; 11/19/2009 at 10:10 PM.
ryleyinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Will look in a few but do want to say thanks for taking the time to do this side by side video, it will be helpful for a lot of people I'd think.
Old 11/19/2009, 09:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes thanks a bunch, now I'm considering the pixie again....
bmbriefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

the pixi's screen is miniscule next to the pre's !
but they do run quite similarly (:
joshuapingley#WP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Huge thanks for doing this! I have a Pre and Pixi and love the Pixi. Hopefully this will help with some of the questions/concerns.
IIJBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
Also missing was any of this supposed EVDO radio bug that slows things down.
Yeah. I don't even know what that looks like.
Old 11/19/2009, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great thread. This should be a sticky!
KevMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

The card test shows what I experienced when I played with a Pixi at the Sprint store... the first card may load faster on the Pixi, but all subsequent cards are faster on the Pre.

Great vids, Mu7efcer, I'm sure they'll be very helpful to a lot of people.
Spader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks so much for doing this. The fact that it has a much better keyboard and slimmer profile than the Pre makes it more appealing to me. After reading countless negative reviews in the blogs, I really think most reviewers are dismissing the fact that a lot of people (myself included) don't need a power user, superphone. I think the Pixi is a great phone for my needs (phonecalls and email primarily, a few apps, and occasional web surfing secondarily). The OS and UI are beautiful. These videos show really very little lag for the most part, very useable. I'd love if the Pixi had wifi, but honestly, I rarely use it with my current iPhone. And the current $25 price point is going to be hard to pass up. I loved my Treo 650 back in the day and this phone does so much more, for so much less! Thanks again!
pico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

I just did a max card test on my pre (it has a reduce swap memory tweek) and I got to 26. That is damn impressive on Palm's part. I had no idea it could do that many. I normally never have more than 4 cards going at any given time.
Complex Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 02:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

very good video's after watching this the pre's screen doesn't look that much bigger i think, or maybe its because both screens look amazing. could you try doing a video of them playing a movie? the pixie is looking like a really good deal right now!!
omgitsjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Added another video:

YouTube - Pre vs Pixi Processor Clocks
Old 11/20/2009, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

It seems like Engadget was having their man lag problems when they were trying to load a complicated webpage WHILE trying to do something else on the phone.

I noticed, when you did your web -loading tests, you were JUST loading the webpage...which is probably what most people would do.

The major slow-down of the OS that Engadget experienced was pretty-much what you were seeing on the Pixi when you loaded Sprint Navigation and then tried to do something else (the "Pre vs Pixi Cards Test" video - ~1:55).

Engadget kept saying the phone was "unresponsive"...which isn't accurate. It didn't ignore the UI inputs, it was simply responding to them very slowly...with delay.

But, I think this series of videos shows that, in normal use, in the "real world", the Pixi is a great phone and can do anything the Pre can do. Nicely done.
Habious is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mu7efcer
Old 11/20/2009, 09:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
It seems like Engadget was having their man lag problems when they were trying to load a complicated webpage WHILE trying to do something else on the phone.
Ok. I can try to test that. Some suggestions for what "other thing to do" I should try? Maybe play pandora while loading a web page? Play the Music App?
Old 11/20/2009, 09:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Damn why did watch this vid, I always thought the Pixi was sexy now I'm really tempted to dump the Pre...
Leke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 10:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leke View Post
Damn why did watch this vid, I always thought the Pixi was sexy now I'm really tempted to dump the Pre...
For me, Wifi is the deciding factor.

If I hadn't bought the Pre and, instead, waited until now to choose a WebOS phone, I'd almost certainly go with the Pixi. It's so much less expensive. Wifi isn't worth the price difference.

However, I already have the Pre. I've already paid for it, and I can no longer get that money back to pay less for a Pixi. So I'll stick with the Pre and Wifi over the Pixi and sweet form factor. Because for me, and anyone who's over their 30 day return period, there's no cost advantage to the Pixi.
Old 11/20/2009, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

thank you for the great review. i think i am leaning towards the pixi but i will wait a little longer to see if att picks up one of the phones.
Old 11/20/2009, 12:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Is there any chance you could do a battery drain on the devices? You seem to be set up well to take on the task. What you've done so far is very enlightening.
Old 11/20/2009, 01:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
Is there any chance you could do a battery drain on the devices? You seem to be set up well to take on the task. What you've done so far is very enlightening.
I've got 1 of 3 battery drain tests already completed. I don't have it on video, though. The 3 battery drain tests that I want to do:

Battery drain - Idle
Battery drain - Pandora
Battery drain - Music

I've completed the Idle test. I simultaneously ran battery monitor (from home brew) for 37 minutes at a 1 minute sample rate on both devices while neither of them did anything. Both were connected to EVDO. The drain% per hour was exactly the same 3.19%. I still plan on running all three tests and capturing the results on video. I'll post to this thread when completed.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0