Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. puggo63
    Thanks for the excellent video...I own a Pixi and its excellent and meets my needs quite well. The only thing I greatly dislike of the Pixi is the AWEFUL camera that overexposes images and washes out any light colors or lighted scenes - its almost useless!
  2.    #62  
    I don't know if I should be flattered or annoyed, but someone just took credit for my video:

Palm Pixi vs Palm Pre – Boot Up Speed Test

I posted the following as a comment on the post, but it's awaiting moderation. I wonder if the comment will ever be approved. Anyway I said:

"Umm.. You’re taking credit for MY video. You didn’t pit anything. I did. And I recorded it along with several other vids comparing pre vs pixi speed. I’m glad that you’re sharing the video, but please don’t take credit for creating something that you didn’t."

UPDATE: The guy sent me an email and cleaned up the post giving me credit.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 12/21/2009 at 09:19 AM.
    I think Im going Pre
    Great thread. really makes you think. Verizon Pixi plus will have wifi I believe. I wonder what other changes it will have, what changes the Pre Plus will have and how they'll stack up to each other.
    Me being a Verizon customer and the Pixi Plus having wifi Pixi wins for me !!
    I used this vid + hands on experience to make my decision, so thanks for that! ultimately PIXI suited me best, although I love the pre's internal hardware set!
    If you are going to buy a WebOS device, you should definitely buy the pre. it has everything that the pixi has, and the new pre plus has the pixi keyboard. I think that if you are going to buy a smartphone, you should be prepared to spend 50 more dollars. Over the life of the phone, htat is nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by freefire4629 View Post
    If you are going to buy a WebOS device, you should definitely buy the pre. it has everything that the pixi has, and the new pre plus has the pixi keyboard. I think that if you are going to buy a smartphone, you should be prepared to spend 50 more dollars. Over the life of the phone, htat is nothing
    The Pre Plus does not have the pixi keyboard. The Pre Plus's keyboard has been updated to be more clicky, but it is not identical to the pixi keyboard.

I agree that if you are choosing between a Pre and Pixi I would get a Pre, unless you just hate the form factor.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    The Pre Plus keyboard is still a step behind the Pixi. I went to Verizon to test out an HTC charge and audio cable and played around with the Pre Plus. Still hated the keyboard. Still hated my thumbs hitting the top part of the phone, the lack of travel in the keys and the effort to press them, and the recess at the bottom. Just didn't feel comfy.

I think when 1.4 hits and the gpu is better utilized (so the rumors say) the Pixi will get some more zip. Combine that with the form factor, and I'll take the smaller screen till I see what's in store for gen 2. Hopefully a little wider with a slightly larger screen maximizing the real estate and a few hard buttons to boot.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Thanks for the video man.

We have only the original Palm Pre in Canada, but I'm looking forward to getting the Pixi.

Thanks again
    That looks like a lot of very boring work you did there. Sorry man. I cant see how it matters much to micro-compare the speed of every app. Does anyone really care if one device is a half second faster than another?
    Quote Originally Posted by xylenz View Post
    That looks like a lot of very boring work you did there. Sorry man. I cant see how it matters much to micro-compare the speed of every app. Does anyone really care if one device is a half second faster than another?
    Not sure if I agree.... Not sure if I disagree...

Honestly, I think the ability of the platform and the speed do matter. If you think about the things they are trying to do with the Pre (3d gaming and what not) speed (even a fraction of a second) is a huge factor.
    *Deep Breath*
    On the day to day, as I use my phone, I could care less what phone loads what faster based on a stop watch. If we were talking minutes to hours, there might be an issue here, but I care that it loads, it is comfortable to use, it does what I want OR can be made to do what I want with software tweaks (patches and apps).

That said.... IF the Pixi was accessed in an IDENTICAL manner as the PRE (IE every Pre app, patch, etc worked flawlessly with the Pixi or they were the exact same phone different form factor) the speed difference would be a HUGE item on my list.

Over all, This was a great thread (now that I have read every page) and I am glad everyone took their time and added their $0.02. The various comparisons have been interesting, but I knew I would not buy a Pre the second I put one in my hand. I was flooded with memories from the early 90's, when my cell phone was larger than a home phone portable, and a car phone was literally a car phone. (for you youngster who do not understand and those who want that nostalgic feeling, click here: )

Myke
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Think about who would want to be able to tell their friends they have a Pixi. Unless your wardrobe is mostly pink you would never survive it.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    how's your manhood holding up?
    Lol guys, to be honest neither the Pre nor Pixi are very manly devices so a Pre user making fun of a Pixi user is slightly ironic If you worry that much about your manhood get a Droid Anyhow, thanks for the videos, very informative. This might sound weird but I'm a UK user with a Motorola Milestone on 2.1 and I'm damn tempted to get a Pixi Plus when it hits the UK!
    *****QUESTION MOVED TO THIS THREAD*****

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...ty-vs-pre.html

sorry for hi-jack.

First, thanks for the comparisons. It is nice to see the Pixi runs similar to the Pre as long as you aren't multi-tasking.

Now the $24,000 question. Which one has proven more reliable?

I know early Pre's had lots of problems but I had mine since day one and only recently had to replace it for an ear piece issue (it acted like ear piece was in when not...silencing speaker.) I had one other early adopter problem, the screen was being flexed by the housing and was discolored. It was worse when you pressed on it. I was always expecting the screen to crack one day, but it never did. Finally, it locked open recently...a couple times. I never read of anyone else ever having that problem and the Sprint store guy said he also never saw it either. Apparently, the screen and ear piece were early problems and it was replaced under warranty. The new one has been perfect.

It seems like the Pixi should be more reliable because it has less moving parts, but it is newer and might have more growing pains. I talked to one person who told me he was on his third one. The first two had touch screen failures. I haven't seen a single post with a touch screen problem though.

So, bottom line. I'm buying a Pre or Pixi to replace my son's Centro which has been a disaster (bad keyboard, touchscreen, direction button, replaced 4 of them so far.) After talking to this guy I grew a bit concerned the Pixi might follow in the footsteps of the Centro, which was the first unreliable Palm I even owned. My previous Treo's were bulletproof.

Which should I get? I can find both, refurbed, for about $150. For the same price, which would you get for a 16 year old?
    Last edited by Disaster; 05/10/2010 at 10:02 AM.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Now the $24,000 question. Which one has proven more reliable?
    It seems like the Pixi should be more reliable because it has less moving parts, but it is newer and might have more growing pains.
    I am on my 5th Pre since launch day (6/6/2009). My son is on his 5th Pixi since Pixi's launch day (11/15/2010). The problems that I've had with my Pre are various depending on which Pre I've been through. Whereas my son's Pixi has consistently had a single problem with the ringer switch (see the above video documenting it). The problem w/the ringer switch eventually degrades to the point where the phone is stuck in vibrate mode.

As an overall statement, it's hard to say which is more reliable. My Pre has had many different failures. Although Pre #5 appears to be holding out pretty good. Meanwhile the Pixi has had one issue consistently over those 5 different units.
    Which should I get? I can find both, refurbed, for about $150. For the same price, which would you get for a 16 year old?
    If all other things are equal, I'd go for the Pre. Mainly because it's got a bigger screen, wifi (*), and the ability to run 3D games - the latter of which my 12 year old really wishes he had. If his ringer switch on this one goes out (like it has on the previous 4) I'm going to see if sprint will upgrade him to a Pre.

(*) Sprint Pixi does not have wifi. Verizon Pixi Plus does. I believe all the other pixi plus versions also have wifi.

That said, I should mention that I had a few problems with my Sprint Centro. E.g. the space between the app buttons cracked. And the headphone jack eventually became unusable. I'd say that the Pre/Pixi (from a hardware point of view) has been a bit more reliable than the Centro. But nowhere near as reliable as the Treo 650 was, hardware wise.

Software wise, PalmOS was a rock. It almost never crashed on me. But WebOS is quite a bit less stable (IMHO). It's certainly getting better, but it's not yet as solid as trusty old PalmOS was.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/10/2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I am on my 5th Pre since launch day (6/6/2009). My son is on his 5th Pixi since Pixi's launch day (11/15/2010). The problems that I've had with my Pre are various depending on which Pre I've been through. Whereas my son's Pixi has consistently had a single problem with the ringer switch (see the above video documenting it). The problem w/the ringer switch eventually degrades to the point where the phone is stuck in vibrate mode.

...Meanwhile the Pixi has had one issue consistently over those 5 different units.

If all other things are equal, I'd go for the Pre. Mainly because it's got a bigger screen, wifi (*), and the ability to run 3D games - the latter of which my 12 year old really wishes he had. If his ringer switch on this one goes out (like it has on the previous 4) I'm going to see if sprint will upgrade him to a Pre.
    Thanks for the information. It was very helpful. I didn't want to hi-jack this thread so I started another one here.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...ty-vs-pre.html

I'm leaning toward the Pre based on what you said. Didn't know about the ringer switch issue. My college bound son upgraded his Centro to a Pixi last week ago and likes it but has had two complaints. 1. The vibrate is soft compared to his Centro. 2. There are less apps available vs. the Pre.

We have three boys with three Centros and they have been horrible compared to the older 6xx-7xx Treos. I figure it is only a matter of time before the newest one fails too. The Sprint store confirmed the problems with the Centros and the salesman I talked to said he steers people away from them when he can.

P.S. The two son's that were eligible for upgrades chose a Pixi and a Moment (Android.) The third one is on my dime.
    Last edited by Disaster; 05/10/2010 at 10:06 AM.
    I bought a Pre early on. It works fine but I have hated the slider from day one. I got my wife a Pixi about 5 months ago. It is absolutely super. Form factor is superb. I intend to abandon my Pre for a Pixi. I don't care about wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I've finished my comparison of the Pre vs the Pixi. It's available as a single playlist here:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...aynext_from=PL

Here are all the individual videos:

And here's one video that shows a strange issue that my son's Pixi is experiencing:

I'm still interested in any other suggestions for things people would like to see compared between the Pre and the Pixi.
    Thanks very much
    Top 10 reasons why I procrastinate:

1.)
    Great videos! I'm a Verizon customer and was wondering if there was really that big a difference from the Pixi and Pre, since I just like the Pixi's design better. I decided to go with the Pixi, since it doesn't seem to have a huge difference and it's free on Verizon right now if you order it online. I currently have a Samsung Alias that I got a few years ago, so the Pixi is definitely a better phone and I won't be using a large amount of cards open at one time.
    I just bought a Pixi Plus on ebay. I have a pre + but I just love the keyboard on the pixi compared to the pre. I'm going to test out the pixi for a month to see if I really like it. If I do I'll just use it and not my pre anymore.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast