Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I've got 1 of 3 battery drain tests already completed. I don't have it on video, though. The 3 battery drain tests that I want to do:

Battery drain - Idle
    Battery drain - Pandora
    Battery drain - Music

I've completed the Idle test. I simultaneously ran battery monitor (from home brew) for 37 minutes at a 1 minute sample rate on both devices while neither of them did anything. Both were connected to EVDO. The drain% per hour was exactly the same 3.19%. I still plan on running all three tests and capturing the results on video. I'll post to this thread when completed.
    Thanks for doing this. I'll be looking for the post.
    I'm presently replacing my third Pre, this time because the screen has started to crack upwards from the center button.
    How would you rate the build quality of the Pixi? I am wondering if it approaches the reliability of the Centro or 755p. The Pre to date has frustrated me with numerous quality problems.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    How would you rate the build quality of the Pixi? I am wondering if it approaches the reliability of the Centro or 755p. The Pre to date has frustrated me with numerous quality problems.
    It's a bit early to tell. That kind of thing takes time to discover weaknesses. Still as far as first impressions go, the Pixi doesn't feel as fragile to me as the Pre. The Pre's slider does a lot to make me extra fearful of breaking it. I do not have this same fear with the Pixi. The Pixi is much closer to the feeling of the Centro, but much thinner and lighter.

But really, only time will tell if this first impression is right.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    To the OP on the mute issue and the phone not ringing.

Check this thread I started (and somewhat ended) to see if yours does the same thing.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...29#post2053229
    my wife's pixie does not mute like yours does, I'm trying to press it and nothing happens, only at the slide of the little button....
    i just like the size of it
    Could someone put up a pic camera comparison of the Pixie and the Pre?

I just got the Pixi the other day as a BD present and unless I'm doing something wrong (which I doubt), my pics look grainy, which is a surprise since my Centro's pics are clearer and the Pixi has a flash.

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    Could someone put up a pic camera comparison of the Pixie and the Pre?
    Sure. Soon as I get a chance, I'll post some pics taken by both of the same subject. There are some already available, e.g. here: http://www.precentral.net/palm-pixi-review
    I just got the Pixi the other day as a BD present and unless I'm doing something wrong (which I doubt), my pics look grainy, which is a surprise since my Centro's pics are clearer and the Pixi has a flash.
    In low light situations, the Pre's pics are really grainy, too. But in good light, the Pre pix are not grainy at all. I haven't looked enough at the Pixi pictures to make an assessment.
    Thanks mu7efcer,

I look forward to see your pic comparisions when you're able to add them.

I was told at the Best Buy that the Pixi has the capacity to add video software later, is there any truth to this, but would be nice.

Oh, i went to the link and the Pre's pic is clearer and more vibrant in color to me. This presents me with a delimma since I don't really want a slider phone, but using the camera is an important feature since I don't always have my digicam on me. I looked at the Pre in the Walmart last night and it did not appear to have a flash, is that right?

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom View Post
    I was told at the Best Buy that the Pixi has the capacity to add video software later, is there any truth to this, but would be nice.
    It's widely speculated that WebOS will add video capability in the future. No one outside of Palm knows if that's actually true. And if it turns out to be true, no one knows when it'll happen.

There are several homebrew people working on a video recording application. Her's a link: http://www.precentral.net/precorder-...-testing-phase
    I looked at the Pre in the Walmart last night and it did not appear to have a flash, is that right?
    No. The pre has a flash, just like the Pixi. But both of them are mostly useless in pictures. They help minimally in low light situations. My primary use for the LED flash is installing the Homebrew flashlight application. It's a pretty low powered flashlight, but useful in a pinch.
    I took delivery of a Pre in June. I just got my wife a Pixi and guess what? Unless you are a complete techno-geek don't even think of getting a Pre. The Pixi form factor is superb and I swear I can't tell the difference in screen size when I use the Pixi. Wi-Fi? Who needs it? In 6 months with the Pre I don't think I have ever turned it on. I get a good EVDO signal so who needs WI-FI? Bottom line is that the Pixi is a super phone. If my Pre craps out I won't hesitate to go with the Pixi.
    I'm a man, so the choice there is simple... Palm is targeting a very specific market with their "pixi", and I'm not part of that market.

Doesn't make it the right one though, my 3rd Pre just spouted an all-new crack near the USB port (not touching it, just near it) in the outer casing (previous 2 had cracked interior screens from the center button).

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't go with either.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    pre
    If the pixi had a 3.0 inch + screen with wifi, a faster processor, and a 3.2 MP camera, and wasnt called a pixi, then i wouldnt hesitate to switch my pre for it.
    I'm a man, and I prefer the Pixi over the Pre. The reason is for the form factor and the fixed keyboard. I dislike slider keyboards and prefer the centro-style fixed keyboards instead.

Also, I'm not hung up on the name of the phone. Who cares if it's called a "Pixi"? I'm a business traveler who wants email and internet access on my smartphone and the Pixi fits nicely in my pocket.

I also was worried that the smaller screen size would be an issue with me, since I'm getting older and seeing fine print is a bit hard. But I have no issues with the Pixi's screen. It is very crisp and clear which helps a lot.

In all I'm very happy with my Pixi smartphone, and I would certainly recommend it to others who don't like slider phones and want access to the best part... the WebOS!
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I also have a bat and 2 balls and I like the pixi over the pre
    I am a 61 year old veteran of a combat tour in SEA. I laugh at the guys who have a problem with the name Pixi. They are probably the guys who install the app to compute their tips and play games all day long on their phone. I simply made the statement that the Pixi is one fine little unit. I mentioned my age above as the screen size-for me anyway-is a non issue. If one is a casual smartphone user this is the way to go IMO. Sorry to the tough guys.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    They're both nice. I do like the fixed keyboard of the Pixi, but I prefer the bigger screen on the Pre, and wifi does helps with battery life since I'm on campus all day long and there's the same wifi signal everywhere. This is probably a non-issue with most people but I do tend to use the camera a lot and 3 mp on the Pre is definitely better as well.

Hopefully the Pre-2, if there ever is one, will keep the screen size (or make it bigger!), but somehow get rid of the slider design.
    I personally chose the pre for its ability to tether through wifi, which the pixi can not do. Wifi tethering gives me the ability to use my ipod touch on the go. Since there aren't too many apps for webOS just yet, I need the ipod touch for apps on the go.
    I use the keyboard only maybe 5% of the time I'm using my phone so, a permanently exposed keyboard isn't (to me) a selling feature. It actually helped me to choose a Pre because the keyboard is so well hidden until needed, and the Pre is still a surprisingly thin phone considering it's a slider.

I haven't seen or touched a Pixi phone yet.. when are they supposed to come to Canada?
    I'm a person who is going to be mainly texting, web browsing, and playing app games. Should I get the Pre or Pixi?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast