Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, I currently have a blackberry curve 8330, and I saw the Pixi the other day and I can't get over how much I like it. Here's the problem: I like to get the absolute most out of my phone (customization, applications, etc. etc.) but I keep hearing everyone say that the Pixi is a good phone for "newbie" smartphone users. I've done a lot of research and it isn't THAT powerful, might be sluggish with a lot of memory being take up at once. BUT I love the phone.. and the pre is not really that much of an option for me, I don't like it that much, and heard that it feels cheaply made. Sorry for the long post, advice please?
    The pixi, from the 15 minutes I played with it, was plenty snappy. However, it isn't a power phone, so don't expect it to compete toe-to-toe with the iPhone, Droid or the Pre.

That being said, don't expect to play 3d games or have 6+ cards open. The Pixi is really aimed at the centro/BB Pearl crowd. And if you compare those devices to the Pixi, the Pixi is just amazing.

What I would say is go to a sprint store and play with it a bit. That is what I did, and I really like it. The keyboard on the pixi is just amazing. Best physical keyboard I have ever used, even compared to the BB Bold. It was a little small, but that "clicky" thing palm did to it is just incredible.
    I believe you have 30 days to return if you decide you don't like it.

I had a friend today with the 8330 tell me he wanted to get the Pixi, but he's not into it as much as you're stating.

I think that by a good "newbie" phone, they mean that it is not overwhelming and is very usable for the simplest of user. Not that it isn't a great smartphone.
    the Pixi is leaps and bounds more customizable than a BlackBerry, especially something from the Curve generation.

email, while not pushed through BlackBerry, is still instant. my brother is still using his Pearl and if we both get an email from the same sender, mine comes through at the same exact time as his.

as far as smartphone features go, there are complaints about the calendar being slow, but that is subjective.

ive not messed around with the pdf viewer or documents, and i believe some people are wanting docs to go.

flash is coming.

all in all, i dont miss my blackberry at all and i swore i would never leave the RIM camp. bb messenger was nice but not everyone had it and googletalk is available on pretty much every non dumb phone and ive grown to like the multi chat integration far more than bb messenger.

EDIT: dont forget about the browser. this one makes the blackberry one look like something from 1995.
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    I believe you have 30 days to return if you decide you don't like it.

I had a friend today with the 8330 tell me he wanted to get the Pixi, but he's not into it as much as you're stating.

I think that by a good "newbie" phone, they mean that it is not overwhelming and is very usable for the simplest of user. Not that it isn't a great smartphone.
    All sprint phones have a 30 day full return policy, including activation fees. I believe that the pixi can have themes applied like the Pre can from PreWare, which gives you tons of customization. Also, you have the designer back-plates so if you want physical customization you can get that too.

The main differences between the Pre and the Pixi are as follows:

Pixi has a slower CPU and GPU, smaller screen and worse camera than the Pre. However, the Pixi has a better keyboard and what looks like an overall higher quality build than the Pre.
    sweatdb11:

"I like to get the absolute most out of my phone"

I think your statement indicates you want a phone that is a little more tested. I don't think the webOS phones would be for you. I have a palm pre and love it but these phones have a new os and therefor you have to expect certain features to be missing for a while and the phone to act up sometimes. If you are willing to be a beta tester of a new os and deal with some issues that may or may not crop up then go for it but otherwise stick with a phone thats been on the market for sometime.
    Your situation is much like my wife's. We switched to Sprint 3 weeks ago and I got the Pre and she got the Curve. After seeing how easy and customizable my Pre is (and after playing with the Pre a lot) she returned her Curve today and got the Pixi. She is already sure she made the right decision. The Pixi is so much easier to use than the Curve. It's smaller and lighter. The Palm webOS makes the BB look so old school. It took multiple rolls of the ball and clicks of the keys on the Curve to do the simplest things (like silent/ring). As for speed, we think it responds just fine. The Pixie and the Curve are totally different in their approach and I (and my wife) think the Palm approach is a better way of doing things. You really need to get one in your hands to appreciate how great this little phone is. I would recommend it to anyone.
    I think this is probably a good place to land a few questions that I still have about the Pixi. I searched the forum and didn't find these topics discussed. I apologize upfront if I'm rehashing a beaten topic. Please just point me in the right direction and that's where I'll go.

I've been using Palm devices for many years going all the way back to the VIIx (remember that beast?) including the Treo 600, 650 and Centro phones.

I went into a Sprint store today and played around with a Pixi. There is much that impresses me about it. I had a Pre for a week but ended up returning it. One big reason was the problems with synching it. Seems like Companion Link has that covered for me now, so a big thanks to them in the "Calendar Synching" thread.

There are two other issues that made me return the Pre and still concern me. I don't want to commit to the Pixi if they haven't yet been fixed.

1. Is it true that cut and paste options are only available from some websites, but not all? I need to be able to copy from any/every website and paste into my calendar and/or memos.

2. What's the deal with global search feature? It still won't search the calendar? Will it search memos? I live my entire life through the Palm Calendar. Not being able to search it totally unacceptable for my needs.

I tried to get info from the Sprint employee in the shop today, but he didn't seem to know much about the Pixi and only wanted to tell me that, "these upgrades are coming..." Whatever that meant...

Again, if this has been covered elsewhere, please just point me in the right direction and I'll be on my way.

Thank you in advance for any help and for allowing me to tag onto your thread, sweatdb11.
    As far as I know cut and paste works on any website including images. I just tried cut and paste into memos from a website and it worked fine. However, it didn't include the image. Looks like memos are text only.

I also just tried global search for calendar entries and it looks like this is not working yet. It won't search memos yet either. And it doesn't look like there is a preware patch for that yet either.
  10.    #10  
    thanks, that helped me make my decision!
    If it is apps you are looking for than I would say stay away! palm only has 385 apps right now a majority of the 385 are duplicates due to not having a trial option many apps have submitted a paid version and a trial version. 20 are dictionaries of different languages, 20 are pic hunt games, 20 err trivia games, about 10 tip calculators, and most of the remaining apps tend to be games which would make atari look like xbox 360.

I would definately go and look at their apps online, very poor selection and not looking like we will see any change anytime soon.
    To get the full experience out of the Pixi, you should buy it. Since you have 30 days to return it, it'll give you a better idea of what it's like to use than just tooling around at the store for 10-15 minutes.

What struck me as really helpful was the contact management, Palm's Synergy. When I first read about it, I pretty much dismissed that feature as a gimmick. How wrong I was....I didn't make the connection that most of the people in my phone are either in Gmail or Facebook. After syncing my contacts with the two, I had 90% of the names covered and about half I had to enter in their telephone numbers. The linking of different profiles under one name is extremely useful. It makes messaging management ridiculously seamless. One thing I do suggest you do before syncing your Gmail account is to get rid of all the contacts that's been stored up automatically by Gmail (the ones you don't want in your phone that is).

The phone is slow at times but coming from a RAZR....it's quick enough. The notifications....very cool. The fact that it can act as a USB drive is also nice. I'm definitely getting the touchstone charger as the USB port is a pain to get to. Battery life isn't too bad. I have gtalk/aim signed on always with email checking every 15 minutes and the screen brightness down to the lowest. I can make it through the day without having to recharge with mild use....ie checking email, messaging. I believe if I just let it idle and don't do any email or messaging, it could go 30+ hours before a recharge. I'll get a better idea of what heavy use is like this weekend when I make use of Pandora.

The keyboard is pretty good for how small it is. The lack of wifi is not a big deal for me. If there isn't EVDO coverage, there probably won't be a publicly available wifi hotspot.

I don't care much for those game apps or tip calculators. I did download the gdial, locater app (allows you to send your location to your contacts), weather app (gives you weather conditions based on current GPS location), pandora, and AP news. Not really sold on the idea that apps make a phone. Most of the apps I wanted already came with the phone so I have no idea whiskytangofoxtrot these bloggers and reviewers are talking about when they crap all over Palm for their lack of apps as being the end of the company.
    How does one right-click in the browser, for example if I wanted to download a link? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mec31 View Post
    How does one right-click in the browser, for example if I wanted to download a link? Thanks!
    on the pre you press the orange button and click with finger. I believe this is the white button on the pixi.
    pixi is aimed for someone who is dipping thier toes into the smart phone market, to teens who primarily use a phone for messaging, browsing and music. it is a great platform in webOS, although new. i have had a pre from day one. i usually buy a new phone every 18 months. i really dont see me changing phones anytime soon now as the OTA updates of the software are really simple.

as for customizations, the patches, themes and tweaks are awesome. these guys are way underappreciated for all they have done to unlock the phones for us. there can be a bit of a learning curve on webOS quick install and preware but well worth it.

you should love the pixi, but dont let anyone else's opinion sway your decision. as others have stated you have 30 days with the phone before you can return it (make sure you have the box, charger and all standard accesories or you will pay 35 restocking fee out of pocket). this gives you ample time to check out phone and see if it fits you. remeber that opinions are sujective to the person. no one can know what will fit you except you
    Thank you Complex Pants. That makes my decision for now.

It amazes me that Palm hasn't considered those two details to be mandatory. I know we all use our phones in different ways. I envy anyone who's life is simple enough to not have to search their calendar many times throughout the day!

As for apps. Yeah, the iPhone has some cool stuff, but I really don't need to "share beers" or "shoot a shotgun" or whatever with my phone. I need a solid PIM system and quick solid internet that lets me cut and paste as necessary many times a day.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I love the form factor a lot more then the Pre- slider phones just aren't my cup of tea. I can handle the slower processor, but right now the EVDO bug that people are talking about can be a bit frustrating. As long as it can handle say playing Pandora, surfing the web a bit, and responding to texts- i.e. 3 or 4 cards open with little lag, I'm fine with that. Right now the lag does seem to be caused by EVDO IMO..
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    FWIW, I just switched from a curve 8330 to a Palm Pixi myself. So far, i love it!! I'm still getting used to WebOS but its extremely simple and extremely user friendly and makes the 8330 look like a dinosaur. Everyone sees not having WiFi on the Pixi as a negative but coming from a curve 8330 that never had WiFi as a feature its not a big deal. I am in Miami, FL and have excellent coverage so the WiFi is a moot point for me.
    I experimented more with a pixi today in the store. The right-clicking behavior isn't exactly what I expected. It is true that color key-click brings up a context menu, but as I recall there are only three choices: something like email, share, and something else. I was looking for a choice like 'download linked file as', like you would find on a PC browser. I'm looking for a way to download podcasts from my rss reader. I suppose I could look into podcast apps, but this technique seems more straightforward to me. I wonder why I can't save a link in WebOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by mec31 View Post
    I experimented more with a pixi today in the store. The right-clicking behavior isn't exactly what I expected. It is true that color key-click brings up a context menu, but as I recall there are only three choices: something like email, share, and something else. I was looking for a choice like 'download linked file as', like you would find on a PC browser. I'm looking for a way to download podcasts from my rss reader. I suppose I could look into podcast apps, but this technique seems more straightforward to me. I wonder why I can't save a link in WebOS?
    As with many things webOS, "there's a patch for that." I believe this is dealt with in the multi-mod patch (or is it a tweak?) for the Browser, which is easy to install thanks to the homebrew community here. Now that I have it installed on my Pre, I can click on a multimedia link in the browser and be presented with the option to either stream the file, or download it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast