Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I recently switched from a Moto-Q phone running Windows Mobile 5 OS to a Palm Pixi and I'm really loving it. I was worried that the screen would be too small, but it works just fine. I love the fact that it's so light and thin... fits in my front pants pocket very well.

Although I'm not a "power-user" with a need for taking hi-res photos with the camera or having WiFi, I do use my phone with Microsoft Exchange Server for emails, contacts, and calendar schedule (all of which seem to work very well on the Pixi under WebOS). In fact, I was surprised to find that the Exchange global corporate search feature worked on the Pixi.

I also love the Sprint Navigation and Google Maps apps which work great with the built-in GPS. Even though there aren't thousands of apps currently available, I am finding a lot of useful apps that assist me with my daily business needs. For example, there's apps for finding a Starbucks or Restaurant near whatever location I may be, which is great when I'm on business travel.

I definitely recommend checking out out at Sprint or even try one out for 30-days to make sure you're happy with the voice and data coverage in your area.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    I recently switched from a Moto-Q phone running Windows Mobile 5 OS to a Palm Pixi and I'm really loving it. I was worried that the screen would be too small, but it works just fine. I love the fact that it's so light and thin... fits in my front pants pocket very well.

Although I'm not a "power-user" with a need for taking hi-res photos with the camera or having WiFi, I do use my phone with Microsoft Exchange Server for emails, contacts, and calendar schedule (all of which seem to work very well on the Pixi under WebOS). In fact, I was surprised to find that the Exchange global corporate search feature worked on the Pixi.

I also love the Sprint Navigation and Google Maps apps which work great with the built-in GPS. Even though there aren't thousands of apps currently available, I am finding a lot of useful apps that assist me with my daily business needs. For example, there's apps for finding a Starbucks or Restaurant near whatever location I may be, which is great when I'm on business travel.

I definitely recommend checking out out at Sprint or even try one out for 30-days to make sure you're happy with the voice and data coverage in your area.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist

cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatbd11 View Post
    So, I currently have a blackberry curve 8330, and I saw the Pixi the other day and I can't get over how much I like it. Here's the problem: I like to get the absolute most out of my phone (customization, applications, etc. etc.) but I keep hearing everyone say that the Pixi is a good phone for "newbie" smartphone users. I've done a lot of research and it isn't THAT powerful, might be sluggish with a lot of memory being take up at once. BUT I love the phone.. and the pre is not really that much of an option for me, I don't like it that much, and heard that it feels cheaply made. Sorry for the long post, advice please?
    When it comes down to it, it is all about your preference.

Things you will lose on your switch vs. things you will gain. You have to determine if it is worth it.

Lost:

Battery life - Blackberry has the user's mail pushed to a server which is then pushed to the phone. The phone doesn't have to poll to get the email, it is simply sent to the phone when it arrives to the server, similar to text messages. This saves the blackberry's batter life. WebOS has to poll using Sprint's EV-DO connection. It is not horrible, but you will have to charge your phone everyday.

Keyboard - Blackberry are thought to have the best keyboards. It is a personal opinion, but I think it will still be true when you switch between the two devices.

Sluggishness - At times, it seems that the Pixi freezes up. This may be the EV-DO bug, but it is not horrible, just annoying. I suspect a OTA update to fix it, but I only noticed it while the phone was downloading.

Gain:

WebOS - It really speaks for itself. Nice UI, multitasking, synergy, multitasking, App catalog, multitasking, universal search, multitasking, updates, multitasking, and ummm, multitasking. It is just done right

Better Web browsing experience. True to its name, WebOS does provide a good web experience. You will be find yourself using this phone for simple things you used to do only on your computer.

Homebrew - This is a very nice alternative if you don't mind installing non-warranty things to your phone. Themes, homebrew apps, tweaks, and other customizations. Even Palm approves (at least they don frown on it)

Media device - It makes a great media device if you don't have a Zune or Ipod on you ( or other media device)

This phone is very light so you may even forget you have it

I have a Pre, but I have work on a few Pixi, co workers love it. The best way to find out if you will like it is by trying it out for your daily life activities.
    Ok, here are my 2 cents. I love my Pre, so when I learned about the Pixi, I got one the first day it came out for my wife a Pixi to upgrade her aging Centro.

She is a master of the Centro...her life is in that thing. I figured it was a no-brainer. Problem is, after having it over a week or so, she is really frustrated at it and hints at wanting to go back to her old phone.

Her complaints? Mainly its 2 things...1 the calendar app is pretty cruddy compared to the PalmOS version. I am not a huge calendar user on my Pre so I never noticed, but her complaints about lack of features (these complaints have been shared on other posts here) are pretty telling.

The other big one is speed. The Pixi takes about 10 seconds to load an email sometimes. Switching between apps takes a while to. The Pre isn't all that zippy when it comes to some of this stuff as well, but it is more noticeable on her phone.

We are giving the Pixi one more week and then she will make the decision to keep it, or go look for another phone (probably a blackberry of some sort).

I should note though...the keyboard is awesome (My Pre is jealous), and the form factor is great. Bottom line...looking at it is a joy...using it can be a bit frustrating

Hope that helps.

David
    I got one for my wife and she loves it. I must admit I am very tempted to by one for myself. The form factor is great and feels solid as a little tank. I have done side by side comparisons of the Pixi and the Pre, and honestly the Pixi can be faster at doing some things.
    I am currently on sprint and my parents are on verizon. I am trying to get them to consider switching over to sprint so we can get a family plan and everything will be cheaper. If this happens I will likely get my dad a pre and my mom a pixi. My one concern with the pixi is the screen size and being able to read what is on the screen. My mom is 60 and her eyes aren't the best on the planet any more.

Any older individuals who have played with the pixi want to comment about the text size and such?
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    When it comes down to it, it is all about your preference.

Things you will lose on your switch vs. things you will gain. You have to determine if it is worth it.

Lost:

Battery life - Blackberry has the user's mail pushed to a server which is then pushed to the phone. The phone doesn't have to poll to get the email, it is simply sent to the phone when it arrives to the server, similar to text messages. This saves the blackberry's batter life. WebOS has to poll using Sprint's EV-DO connection. It is not horrible, but you will have to charge your phone everyday.
    the IMAP version of Push that the Pre and Pixi use is the same concept as BlackBerry Push. It just doesn't go through BlackBerry's servers. I have done side by side email tests with my Pre on Sprint and a Pearl on Verizon and they are simultaneous, with the Pre sometimes beating the Pearl.

When you set the Pre/Pixi to As Items Arrive, it is not constantly or sporadically polling for email.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12