Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I'm sure this has been discussed on here, but for all my searching I can't find the right thread. I apologize upfront if I'm rehashing a beaten topic. Please just point me in the right direction and that's where I'll go.

In short, what I need to know about is synching a Pixi with my traditional Palm desktop on my PC. I've been using Palm devices for nearly ten years and I really don't want to lose the desktop sych capability. It's necessary for me to be able to move things around on the desktop calendar by taking in the big picture through the PC view. Hope that makes sense.

From what I know about the Pixi, it's not intended to do a desktop synch like all the Palms prior to the Pre did. I'm sure there's some kinda hack out there that will let me synch my phone to the Palm desktop, right? So, reviews, opinions, etc...are all appreciated. If I had to switch over to using the Outlook desktop, I guess I could handle that, but I'm so comfortable with the Palm desktop that I really don't want to lose it.

Thank you in advance,
    Kay
    Companionlink will allow you to sync your palm desktop PIM to the Pixi:

Palm webOS sync

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Not if you are using 1.3.1 it won't.

I had it working flawlessly on 1.2.1 and ever since I went to 1.3.1 CL has not worked (even after speaking to their support).

****es me off. This phone was supposed to rule, yet there are SO MANY issues with it (my two being the new version of WebOS doesn't work with CL and Palm lost ALL of my contacts).

I'm tired of doing resets, so I'm just coping as best I can.

EDIT 12/2/09:

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
    Color me impressed too.

I got a call from tech support and we fixed my issue. I had two databases for some reason, causing my phone not to sync. All is well now.

Thanks!

I concur with KevMeister. This thread should be stickied.
    CL is a good company who took care of me. It was my phone, not their product.
    Last edited by IlyaK; 12/02/2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
  4.    #4  
    So which comes installed? 1.2.1 or 1.3.1? Do I just avoid doing any software upgrades?

I already went through a fiasco trying to move from my Centro to a Pre and don't want to make the wrong move (for me) again.

Thanks again for any help.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I use CL to sync Palm data to Google and sync google to my Pre and my wifes Pixi (both updated to 1.3.1)
  6.    #6  
    Can you synch everything to Google (including memos)?

My main concern is wanting to be able to view all my memos and my calendar on my PC.

Thanks again!
    Sorry...I should clarify. If you use CompanionLink for Palm WebOS it won't work on 1.3.1 seemingly. I've been on the phone with their support, etc.

I'm not sure if the Pixi is a WebOS phone. I have the Pre and didn't realize that I posted in the Pixi section because I searched for this thread (searched the entire site for CompanionLink related topics).

If you use their other products, it may work. Some of their other products are compatible with our phone(s), but the WebOS one is made specifically for our phone (obviously).
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Ilyak

We tested CompanionLink for webOS right after the 1.3.1 release (on Sunday) and it works fine. A majority of our users are already on it, both with Pre, and also with Pixi.

CompanionLink USB Sync and also CompanionLink Google Sync are both compatible with webOS all versions, including 1.1.3 which is still the current version in UK, as well as 1.3.1 which is current here in the US.

I'm checking through support channels to see who may have given you the wrong impression. We provide free telephone and email support for our products. Our call center has ten people, each of whom handle dozens of customers per day. It's not surprising if our message is not "unified" at a given time. However, in this particular case we had a special team in over the weekend to certify the software and insure all our techs had a tech-tip on their desks when our phone lines opened on Monday. In the mean time, please contact Tech support again. If the sync is not working for you, it is probably a simple local issue with your PC or phone that can be quickly fixed so it's all working.

If you (or anyone else) wants to email me for a heads up on support, send an email to wayland@companionlink.com. We'll figure out what is not working for your phone.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hows that for service!!!
    Wow. I am surprised. I wasn't trying to make it sound like they/you had bad service, just their/your product wasn't ready for 1.3.1 (but it sounds like I may have gotten bad info or I misunderstood - the man on the phone told me to check back in a couple of days to see if they want an update/etc.)

Wayland, I just emailed you. If you can fix this for me, you'll be THE MAN.

EDIT 12/2/09:

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
    Color me impressed too.

I got a call from tech support and we fixed my issue. I had two databases for some reason, causing my phone not to sync. All is well now.

Thanks!

CL is a good company who took care of me. It was my phone, not their product.
    Last edited by IlyaK; 12/02/2009 at 07:58 AM.
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by badcarburetor View Post
    Can you synch everything to Google (including memos)?

My main concern is wanting to be able to view all my memos and my calendar on my PC.
    badcarb, here is a full answer to this, sorry to be long:

Google does not have a Memos application. They used to have a Notebook, but Google deprecated it earlier this year. Also Google lacks an API for tasks. Palm Pre has Memos and Tasks, but they don't sync to Google, and I think we can assume it is because of the lack of Google's capabilities.

CompanionLink has two products; one is Sync through Google, and the other is direct sync through USB. The Google Sync product was released with the Pre in June. The direct USB Sync was released last month.

Both CompanionLink products handle PC Tasks and Memos to Palm Pre/Pixi in addition to Contacts and Calendar. This is for Tasks/Memos from Palm Desktop, as well as Tasks/Notes in Outlook.

CompanionLink for Google converts Tasks into untimed Calendar items, and sends to Google Calendar which shows on your Pre Calendar. Memos are converted into "Contacts" which have |M| in front to show they are memos. They take advantage of the fact that Contacts sync to Pre, and also are searchable. We chose |M| both for brevity (screen space) and also that it sorts to the bottom of the contact list.

CompanionLink for webOS USB works differently, because it adds an App on to the Palm Pre. The app, called CL USB Sync can be downloaded from the Palm App Catalog. The app contains within it our own CL Task and CL Memos screens. Unlike Pre Tasks/Memos, the CL versions are designed to work like their PC counterparts, with sortable lists, search, and categories. The current version also supports what we call "Large/Small lists" which show 12 items on a list view, which is comparable to how task/memo lists show on other devices.

So both products do sync Memos to Pre/Pixi. Both products sync Calendar just fine to the PC. Our two products, Google and USB sync, are "interchangeable" so if you buy one you can switch to the other without charge and without calling CompanionLink. Just download and use it. There is a free 14 day demo for both products. I'd suggest giving them a try to see which one you find is more conducive to your way of working.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Great thread. Rename it for clarity and make it a sticky?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clcto View Post
    ...CompanionLink has two products; one is Sync through Google, and the other is direct sync through USB. The Google Sync product was released with the Pre in June. The direct USB Sync was released last month.

Both CompanionLink products handle PC Tasks and Memos to Palm Pre/Pixi in addition to Contacts and Calendar. This is for Tasks/Memos from Palm Desktop, as well as Tasks/Notes in Outlook...

...So both products do sync Memos to Pre/Pixi. Both products sync Calendar just fine to the PC. Our two products, Google and USB sync, are "interchangeable" so if you buy one you can switch to the other without charge and without calling CompanionLink. Just download and use it. There is a free 14 day demo for both products. I'd suggest giving them a try to see which one you find is more conducive to your way of working.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    www.companionlink.com
    Wow. Color me impressed.

Say, I have a Treo 800w (Windows Mobile) and will be upgrading to the Pixi. In terms of syncing my 800w PIM data from the 800w to the Pixi, I really don't want to mess with Google. Is there an elegant way to do this without a steep learning curve? I really don't use Microsoft Outlook (I think it's a trial version.)
    Color me impressed too.

Thanks!

My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Hi Wayland,

I have an off topic question but since its seems we have your attention here I will ask it here. I have been reading through a lot of posts in the forums here about how major app devs are not and will not be interested in developing quality apps for webOS. I would consider you without question a major app developer and would like to hear your opinion about whether or not webOS is a platform other major app devs would look to develop for?

P.S. Thanks for a great app and the above and beyond customer support.
    I'll check this out. Thanks again!
  17.    #18  
    Thank you, Wayland and everyone else for making this a very useful thread.

I've got a lot to think about and posted some more questions in the Second Opinions thread.

I really want the Pixi or the Pre to fit my needs!
    Based on the links through the last few posts, I discovered the Company called Cellebrite, who's one of many clients is Sprint:

Cellebrite Mobile Data Synchronization - Cellebrite Clients

Important If your wireless service provider uses the Cellebrite utility to export your data from your old phone, you must first create the account you want to receive your data on the web (if applicable) and on your phone (see Setting up email accounts and Using contacts ).

Then, ask your provider to select that account as the target account during the transfer. For example, if you want to transfer your data into your Google account, create your Google account at gmail.com and on your phone before using Cellebrite, and then ask your provider to select Google as the target account when using Cellebrite.

If contacts are imported into the Palm profile account, the contacts cannot be moved from the Palm profile to another account, such as Google.

Palm Support : Move info to your Palm webOS phone from a device you've never synchronized
    I think I will try this method first...anyone else done this?

So, here's my plan:

Treo 800w--> Pixi --> Cellebrite --> Palm Profile //in tandem// with CompanionLink.

Doable? Or am I missing something?

And...what about notes and calendar items with Cellebrite?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlawrnce View Post
    I use CL to sync Palm data to Google and sync google to my Pre and my wifes Pixi (both updated to 1.3.1)
    Are you syncing the same contacts to your Pre and here Pixi? I have the Pre and my wife now has the Pixi. We now want to sync our contacts to both phones. We have them all in Palm Desktop. I currently sync the Palm Desktop to my Google account with CompanionLink, works great. Now I am trying to figure out how to get it to sync to two Google accounts, my Google account and now my wifes Google account.

So Palm Desktop has all our contacts and now we want it to sync to two Google accounts so that I get it on my Pre and my wife gets it on her Pixi. Anyone have a solution?

I am also open to moving the contacts from Palm Desktop to any online contact management site that will sync with two Google accounts.

Thanks all for your help.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast