1.    #1  
    Since I have both a Pixi & a Pre in my house, I am working on a side by side video comparison of the two devices. I hope to have it posted to YouTube by end of week.

In my initial testing here's what I've found:
    • In many areas the Pixi is just as fast as the Pre doing the same task
    • Occasionally, the Pixi is faster than the Pre
    • Occasionally the Pre is faster than the Pixi
    • The NFL app on the Pixi performs markedely better than on the Pre, especially w.r.t. showing videos
    • Rebooting the Pixi is significantly faster than rebooting the Pre
    • On EVDO, both devices load the same web pages at about the same speed. Sometimes the Pixi wins, sometimes the Pre wins, but mostly they finish at the same time.
    • On Wifi, the Pre loads web pages a *LOT* faster than the Pixi (which is obviously still on EVDO)
    • Apps launch on the Pixi is slightly faster than on Pre. Same apps generally launch about 0.1s faster than on Pre.
    • The Pre's screen is significantly brighter than the Pixi's screen
    • The Pixi's radio stays locked on EVDO much better than the Pre's radio. During my testing, the Pre would frequently switch to 1x. At that point all data transmission would grind to a crawl. This didn't happen at all on the Pixi
    • The Pre's CPU is running at 500MHz. The Pixi's CPU appears to be running at 600MHz.

My initial conclusion: if it weren't for the lack of Wifi, I'd be trying to swap my Pre for a Pixi. It performs at the same level, or better than the Pre.

A test I haven't done yet but will do soon: download battery monitor on both and see which has better battery drain. Is suspect the Pixi will win this due to smaller, dimmer screen and less EVDO radio fluctuation.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 11/18/2009 at 08:49 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    There are two things that keep me on the Pre, instead of the Pixi.

WiFi - In general, our Sprint coverage around Indianapolis is great. However, I live about 25 miles south of the center of the city in a slightly iffy coverage area. I rarely drop calls, unless I'm underground in the basement. However, data often switches from EVDO to 1xRTT. The update from 1.2.9 to 1.3.1 to 4 HOURS just to get to the installing portion. It kept jumping to 1x and pausing. (Why it needs to pause AFTER it has downloaded everything and is verifying makes no sense to me.)

Camera - The Pixi camera is on par with other cameras I was used to on the Treo, Centro, etc. I compared it to a coworkers Centro this morning and it seems slightly better. The camera on the Pre is incredible. With enough light, it takes very usable pictures. Nothing compared to my nice Nikon DSLR setups, but it is a good cell camera.

Screen size isn't as much an issue as I expected. I thought it would be. Speed, isn't as much of an issue. I would have to close cards a little more, but it would be worth it.

The Pixi is so thin, that I wouldn't mind a 2600 mAh battery that makes it back to Centro/Treo thickness and ran this sucker for 2+ days of decent use. That would be a cool phone and still be about as thick as the Pre.

It is amazing how quick you adjust to needing WiFi. The Pre is the first long term use Smart Phone I've had with WiFi. The only reason I "need" WiFi on the Pixi, is because of all the things you can do with it and the iffy data at home. I think it might not hurt this phone as much as I thought, for the target demographic for which Palm is going.

The keyboard on the Pixi may be one of the best I've used on a smartphone. Blows the Pre's keyboard completely out of the water. Love the tactile feel.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 11/18/2009 at 09:11 AM.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  3.    #3  
    BTW, I'd be interested in ideas for tests that I should conduct. Here's what I've thought of so far. All of these tests are done (as close to) simultaneously as I can manage:
    • App launch of Calendar
    • App launch of Phone
    • App launch of Google Maps
    • App launch of Videos
    • App launch of Music
    • Clear history, cookies, cache, then load ESPN Mobile (both on EVDO)
    • ...then load Amazon Mobile (both on EVDO)
    • ...then load PreCentral Full (both on EVDO)
    • ...then load Engadget Full (both on EVDO)
    • ...then load PhoneDog Full (both on EVDO)
    • Clear history, cookies, cache, then load PreCentral Full (Pre on WIFI)
    • ...then load Engadget Full (Pre on WIFI)
    • ...then load PhoneDog Full (Pre on WIFI)
    • Video play from NFL app
    • Video play from YouTube
    • Video play from Videos (Palm Pre vs Palm Pixi)
    • Reboot
    • Battery Drain - Idle
    • Battery Drain - Pandora
    • Battery Drain - Music
    • Number of cards loaded before "too many cards error"
    • Screen brightness
    • CPU clock

Any other suggestions for something I should test? It strikes me that I'm seeing a lot of difference with my testing of performance than many others are. Perhaps I'm not testing the right things that demonstrate the differences. So I'd be interested in knowing what tests I ought to perform.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 11/18/2009 at 09:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I suggest that you should also do the following tests:

• image rendering (speed)
    • camera shots (speed)
    That'll be much appreciated
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    My wife and I just got Pre's and my kids Pixis and I totally agree with this assesment. I have not been able to tell the diffrence in speed between the two, keep in mind all our devices are currently stock no homebrew and a few apps.
    I've read on the Palm.com spec's page, that the Pixi's screen, not only is smaller, but also supports less colours. (18-bit versus 24-bit). Is that noticable?

(I'm not buying a Pixi as I need GSM, but I was just wondering about this, I've heard no review mention this (to be fair, I did just 'scan' the reviews).
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by xioq View Post
    I've read on the Palm.com spec's page, that the Pixi's screen, not only is smaller, but also supports less colours. (18-bit versus 24-bit). Is that noticable?
    Wow. You're right. I didn't know that. So, I guess that'd be "no, it's not noticeable".
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts

(I'm not buying a Pixi as I need GSM, but I was just wondering about this, I've heard no review mention this (to be fair, I did just 'scan' the reviews).
    Well the facts are true, and I've heard from some that you do notice the difference when compared side by side. But personally I don't think there's much of a difference do to the Pixi's smaller screen.
    I was worried about the screen being less colorful, and maybe I could tell if they were side big side, but no, on it's own if you like the pre's screen you will still like the Pixi's.

The brightness thing, however, is an issue. I have mine set to 71%, which just where I like it, and roughly equivalent to the 30%-ish percent of the Pre that I had... BUT, when the Pixi goes dimmer in a dark room, it goes "too dim" for my liking.

A patch to raise the dimming values would be nice.

I love Preware
    I don't think the color difference is noticeable, however the Pre screen is a little better. It isn't a huge difference, but the Pixi looks slightly more washed out, when side by side. When you are using them apart, you don't notice it.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that the Pixi screen is darker. I wish it had WiFi, so I could use it in bed when my Wife is trying to sleep and I can't. Due to bad cell data in our bedroom, I have to use the WiFi capable Palm "Even on brightness 0, I'm a spotlight" Pre.

I run my Pre at 0 brightness most of the time. I'm running the Pixi at 15-20%. So even though the Pixi GOES darker, unless you run the Pre at 100%, you can probably adjust it to the same setting you are used to.

The one thing I totally don't get. The switched the sides for volume and power. That is frustrating when swapping between the two phones.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    It is amazing how quick you adjust to needing WiFi. The Pre is the first long term use Smart Phone I've had with WiFi. The only reason I "need" WiFi on the Pixi, is because of all the things you can do with it and the iffy data at home. I think it might not hurt this phone as much as I thought, for the target demographic for which Palm is going.
    I knew that Wifi wouldn't be a huge issue for most people. I wanted Wifi on my device because then I'll be able to use it long after I upgrade in just 11 more months. With one-year upgrades if you're Sprint Premier, I'll prolly be buying wifi phones for quite some time.

But yea, of the four downgrades, I expected the processor to be the biggie that people were missing out on... but from the sounds of it, the thing is on par with the Pre. I'm guessing that has to do with the 80 fewer horizontal lines on the screen... makes for much quicker CPU rendering of graphics. Downgrade the screen with the processor, and you've got a great little "entry-level smartphone". I guess things weren't as bad as I predicted. The Pixi phone sounds like it'll be a big hit for Palm. If only they gave the phone a name that didn't sound so geh.

Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    The keyboard on the Pixi may be one of the best I've used on a smartphone. Blows the Pre's keyboard completely out of the water. Love the tactile feel.
    Sounds like the "old Palm" is back in a good way. I think the Pixi would make a better phone, but I'm content with the Pre, for sure.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    mu7efcer, your finding that the Pixi is faster than the Pre is inconsistent with basically every review of the Pre I have read so far. Every other review says the Pre is much much faster. Have you doctored your Pre in any way?
    The Pre is underclocked to 500 Mhz, while the Pixi is running at 600 mhz. True

However, and I don't pretend to be a chipset expert, but from what I am understanding from the literature, the Pixi has a second ARM core at 400Mhz that is dedicated to modem work. Both chipsets have GPU's and DSP's.

While everyone assumes the MSM7627 chipset of Pixi is slower in a dead run, due to the way WebOS works, and the way people work, and that extra modem core may be leveling that playing field in real life performance.

The reviewers who have gone nuts on performance issues only get to spend a few hours with the device. People who spend a little more time with the Pixi quickly find that it performs as well if not better than the Pre, except in certain circumstances, where it basically freezes for no reason.

I believe that is a programming glitch that will be fixed. After that's fixed, I can't see any normal load either Pre or Pixi would experience that would expose the Pixi as a noticeably slower device.

In real world terms it is a faster device in the ways that count... despite being a technical step backward in chipset evolution.

... and the battery life is better.
    what's the point of having webOS on a screen that is 2.6" ? it pretty much ruined the pixi for me. if the pixi had a pre sized screen i may have kept it. overall, it didn't lag too much but when it did it did it randomly, usually for no reason, and sometimes for longer than a second or 2.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    what's the point of having webOS on a screen that is 2.6" ? it pretty much ruined the pixi for me. if the pixi had a pre sized screen i may have kept it. overall, it didn't lag too much but when it did it did it randomly, usually for no reason, and sometimes for longer than a second or 2.
    The screen size is a downer. But I got a chance to mess with the Pixi for 20mins; it's not that bad.
    I have to agree. I thought the 2.6" screen would be pretty bad, but after playing with it for about 20 minutes, it seemed fine. Did seem a little "squished" vertically compared to the Pre in card mode and such.
    for basic webOS stuff like email, texting, & phone, the screen is completely fine and useable.

but when it comes to web browsing the screen leaves A LOT to be desired.

and watching videos is no longer an experience, it's just awful. the screen is almost square so you either have huge black borders and an unwatchably small video or a video that is so zoomed in that you miss most of what's happening.

but the pixi i had was rock solid and has no dead pixels or any hardware issues, so I guess that's a plus.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoeii View Post
    mu7efcer, your finding that the Pixi is faster than the Pre is inconsistent with basically every review of the Pre I have read so far. Every other review says the Pre is much much faster. Have you doctored your Pre in any way?
    Yes, but for the tests and the video I have reset them to factory condition by running WebOS Doctor on them.

And you're right that it stands in contrast to all the other reviews. But as soon as I put up my videos, you can decide for yourself if I'm making this up. Additionally, if you think I'm not testing it correctly, please suggest some tests that you think would better demonstrate the capabilities.