1.    #1  
    Anyone had any luck getting MyTether to work? I bit the bullet and donated; but, for the life of me cannot get it to work.

Here is what I have done and the issues I am experiencing:

I installed the Novacomd x64 drivers earlier in the day yesterday and then installed Preware without incident by placing the unit in "Just Charge" mode. A quick check of device manager did not show any errors. Later I donated and downloaded My Tether. I plugged my phone up, placed into Just Charge mode, and installed the application on the Pixi without incident. I then fired up My Tether and enabled USB Tether. It prompted to turn on DHCP which I accepted and then it indicated it needed to reset in order to enable USBNet whch I accepted. After reset the USB tether was enabled as were all of the features on the Options screen. I disabled WIFI on my laptop and proceed to check the internet -- nothing. I went to device manager and noticed I had two devices with exclamation marks next to them:

Novacom
    Linix USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

After reading several threads here and at Precentral I downloaded the USBNet x64 inf file and pointed the Linux USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget to it where it installed. That left Novacom still needing to be installed. I tried the inf again and it resulted in an error so I removed it from device manager and let it be re-detected which I subsequently pointed it to the C:\Program Files\Palm, inc\ directory where it still could not find any driver. I finally just gave up on finding anything for it. Next I tried the internet and still could not get out. I went to a command line and checked the ip address of the Linux USB adapter and noted I had one 192.168.0.12, class c subnet, and gateway on phone at 202. It was getting a DHCP address, but just could not get to the internet.

Next I tried to bluetooth tether. I paired my phone with the computer. Next I went to Bluetooth places, right clicked on my phone, Selected Connect Using --> Access Point. At that point it connected via bluetooth but my phone prompted me with a message:

Auth Error
    Your service account does not allow internet connection sharing. Contact Sprint for help.

With WIFI still disconnected on my laptop, no hardwire ethernet connection, and Bluetooth connected to the phone I tried to get to the internet and still had no luck. When I checked ipconfig from a command line I had a 10.1 ip and gateway with a class C subnet on the BT adapter but nothing got out. At this point I was stuck. Does My Tether need to have a specific setting enabled for Bluetooth tether to work? I did not have WIFI or USB enabled when trying it.

Two more pieces of information. Novacomd service was running and developer mode was disabled after I installed My Tether to the phone.

Any assistance on this would be helpful.
    Last edited by svx; 11/17/2009 at 08:27 AM.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
  2.    #2  
    Anyone got any suggestions?

I returned my Hero which had a nasty "dust under screen" issue (apparently a widely known issue with the Hero) for the Pixi. I used PDAnet with Android as well as with my WM Treo and other WM devices and it was easy to use and set up. My Tether, on the other-hand, is no where near as user friendly and detailed instructions are lacking --mostly requiring you to piecemeal different threads together to obtain help. WebOS is pretty smooth and the Pixi just seems to be a perfect balance for me with no "moving" parts like the Pre (which I got burned on with a bad oreo effect last June). So if anyone has this working or has any suggestions your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Radio Shack TRS-80--> Palm Pilot Professional--> TRG Pro--> Sprint Neopoint 1000--> Sprint Touchpoint 3000--> Ipaq 3650--> Ipaq 3850--> Ipaq 2215--> Treo 600--> Cingular 2125--> Cingular 8525 / HTC Hermes--> Blackberry 8800--> Samsung Blackjack i607--> Motorola Q--> Blackberry Curve 8300--> Sprint HTC Touch--> Treo 800W--> Sprint HTC Touch Pro--> Treo 800W (again)--> Palm Pre--> Treo 800W (again, again)--> Sprint HTC Hero--> Palm Pixi
    I am sure if you wait till all the tethering issues are resolved for the pre the dev will look into geting pixi to tether
    MatterOfFactJack
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. I will give them a little time, not much (as I truly need this), but some
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

5.    #5  
    Success with BT. Still no luck with USB.

Ok, after playing around with the app and reading through gobs of threads, I finally got BT tether to work with my setup (Thinkpad T61p). It was VERY frustrating as there are no detailed instructions for using Mytether over BT. Complicating matters, when you donate (cough 'purchase' cough) the app and install it, it only lists WiFi and USB as tethering options. Here goes.

Detailed Bluetooth Tethering Windows 7 -- Steps:

* Fire up MyTether on the Pixi and enable USB Tether.
    * When it prompts you to enable USBnet, say yes and let it reset.
    * When it comes back up, start Mytether and make sure USB Tether is enabled and DHCP under Options is set to On (also make sure Bluetooth is enabled and discoverable on the Pixi).
    * Go to your Windows 7 PC --> Go to Bluetooth Devices (usually double clicking the Bluetooth icon on the task bar will fire this up) and click the "Add a Device" button at the top. The "Add a Device" box will pop up and you should see your Pixi in the list of devices.
    * Double click the Pixi phone icon and it will think for a sec and give you a code to enter on your Pixi to complete the pair. Enter the code on your Pixi (got to be quick) and pairing should be complete with your Pixi now showing under Bluetooth Devices.
    * Lastly, right click on your Pixi in Bluetooth Devices, select Connect Using --> Access Point.
    * Voila, you are now online.

Few items to note:
    1.) You MUST enable USB tether and USBnet must be On before you attempt to pair with your PC otherwise you will get this annoying error on the Pixi and no intenet connection on the PC:

"Auth Error
    Your service account does not allow internet connection sharing. Contact Sprint for help."

2.) If you did pair before enabling either, just delete your phone from Bluetooth Devices and repair once they are enabled on the phone.

3.) I did not disable any firewall on my PC to get this to work (in this case Norton IS 2010) so if you are having problems, you may want to try disabling yours.

Hope this helps others. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

i got usb to work on mine... gunna try my sisters in a few. lets just say 2-3 bars on an airrave is still pretty damn good speeds. lol

Download Speed: 135 kbps (16.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 111 kbps (13.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
  7.    #7  
    Were you using Win 7 x64 and did you install the Novacom drivers? That seems to be my hangup.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    i got usb to work on mine... gunna try my sisters in a few. lets just say 2-3 bars on an airrave is still pretty damn good speeds. lol

Download Speed: 135 kbps (16.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 111 kbps (13.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    airrave is not 3g... so ya that is pretty good for not being 3g.. how did you manage to get the usb drivers to work.. same drivers? are people just having trouble installing the driver or did you have to use different set of drivers

Quote Originally Posted by svx View Post
    Were you using Win 7 x64 and did you install the Novacom drivers? That seems to be my hangup.
    its been said with novacom running in the background it causes issues with usb tethering (i have not experienced this personally) but i remember aonic mentioning it at some point.. maybe start up your task manager and remove it from processes
    MatterOfFactJack
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    its been said with novacom running in the background it causes issues with usb tethering (i have not experienced this personally) but i remember aonic mentioning it at some point.. maybe start up your task manager and remove it from processes
    Correct, I read that on his "donor" site as well and it is not running as a service. In order for the USB Linux Ethernet Gadget to get recognized by Win 7 you must install the driver (which based on my reading is necessary for USB Tether to work). To note, I get an IP from the Pixi once Linux USB Ethernet Gadget Novacom driver is installed, but does not get out.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

Correct, I read that on his "donor" site as well and it is not running as a service. In order for the USB Linux Ethernet Gadget to get recognized by Win 7 you must install the driver (which based on my reading is necessary for USB Tether to work). To note, I get an IP from the Pixi once Linux USB Ethernet Gadget Novacom driver is installed, but does not get out.
    what is the IP you are getting.. maybe dhcp is not working right try turning it off in your tethering options and manually configuring your ip on the computer

Side note: the best way to check to see if tethering works on the pixi is to install ubuntu maybe using wubi which allows you to install it as a program and uninstall it later super easy no mess with partitoins.. anyway ubuntu will detect the driver needed for usbnet.. enable tethering and see if you can get online if so then pixi does support usb tethering just need to know how to get it going for windows

here is a little how to i made for installing ubuntu via wubi

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...tor#Using_WUBI

If you have the time i would love to see the results
    MatterOfFactJack
  11.    #11  
    From my first post:

"I went to a command line and checked the ip address of the Linux USB adapter and noted I had one 192.168.0.12, class c subnet, and gateway on phone at 202. It was getting a DHCP address, but just could not get to the internet."

Interesting on Ubuntu. I might give that a whirl in VMWare Workstation (already installed) or MS VPC. Never heard of Wubi before but looks pretty neat if I did not already have Workstation and VPC installed in Win 7 Ultimate. I will give this a try and report back. Thanks for the heads up.
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

From my first post:

"I went to a command line and checked the ip address of the Linux USB adapter and noted I had one , class c subnet, and gateway on phone at 202. It was getting a DHCP address, but just could not get to the internet."

Interesting on Ubuntu. I might give that a whirl in VMWare Workstation (already installed) or MS VPC. Never heard of Wubi before but looks pretty neat if I did not already have Workstation and VPC installed in Win 7 Ultimate. I will give this a try and report back. Thanks for the heads up.
    If you are going to do VM make sure you have usb passthrough setup. So vm will accept your usb device. As for wubi ya its just an installer you do while running windoes if you don't want it anymore you can uninstall it just like any other programe I love it!! I think you would to. No need to worry about file sharing or usb working or network sharing whatsoever just sets up a dualboot without any partitions its bad ***.
    MatterOfFactJack
    airrave is not 3g... so ya that is pretty good for not being 3g.. how did you manage to get the usb drivers to work.. same drivers? are people just having trouble installing the driver or did you have to use different set of drivers
    haha i know airrave is not 3g. 5 years in wireless sales baby! about usb, what i did was reload mytether, did the instructions he provided for usbnet, then reset the phone and the computer. tried it out and blam, it worked
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    haha i know airrave is not 3g. 5 years in wireless sales baby! about usb, what i did was reload mytether, did the instructions he provided for usbnet, then reset the phone and the computer. tried it out and blam, it worked
    ya in theory I figered that would do it. Thanks... I wish I had a pixi so I didn't have to think of it in theory I never though I'd say I wish and pixi in same sentence
    MatterOfFactJack
  15.    #15  
    If you are going to do VM make sure you have usb passthrough setup. So vm will accept your usb device. As for wubi ya its just an installer you do while running windoes if you don't want it anymore you can uninstall it just like any other programe I love it!! I think you would to. No need to worry about file sharing or usb working or network sharing whatsoever just sets up a dualboot without any partitions its bad ***.
    Thanks for the tips. I dld'd Ubuntu and plan on tossing it in a VM. As for Wubi, I need some time to sign off on it as a "vm" platform. The concept is nice, but I need time with implementation.

Irregardless, thanks for the input! Been a member here for near 6yrs and folks like you make returning worth every effort!

-SVX
    {ISV-K}SVX
    "I'm On fire!!"

i have windows 7 32 bit. ive been up for days tring to thether via usb. i have followed all the directions for the usbnet drivers.. i canot get them to install. under start, its got a yellow mark next to rndis driver, and thats it. now when i plug my pre in it dont even say new hardware found like it did. and novcom is not in prosses in the tasn mang... can some 1 please help me. i am going crazy. and i did follow the wiki and every thing, if no lie been o0n this computer for 5 days strait.. i must havethis done..
    If your looking to usb tether the Pixi go to this link. It came right up after I got the freetether and tetherd in and am using it now. It also has the adjustments you need to make if your running windows 7. should work for any pixi. just add the http junk in front it still won't let me post links. forums.precentral.net/palm-pixi/256833-how-tether-sprint-pixi.html