Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Gizmodo tears into the Pixi on speed.. or lack there of, rather...

Palm Pixi Review - Palm pixi review - Gizmodo

Ouch.

Anyone getting performance issues as bad as they describe? Looking at getting the Pixi for my girlfriend.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    Gizmodo tears into the Pixi on speed.. or lack there of, rather...

Palm Pixi Review - Palm pixi review - Gizmodo

Ouch.

Anyone getting performance issues as bad as they describe? Looking at getting the Pixi for my girlfriend.
    ...and to the contrary, there's this review over at PhoneDog calling it almost perfect.

Just goes to show you, the tech blogs are no better/worse than what you would read here....it's all one person's opinion.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    giz are apple *******...almost nothing else (mobile) gets a favorable review...
    This looks like the problem being discussed elsewhere in this forum: basically 1.3.1 will not allow use of EVDO. Unbelievable. Palm's quality control is being implemented by monkeys, and supervised by sloths, at best.
    I bought a Pixi for my wife yesterday. I have had the Pre since the day it came out, and the same one at that. I love the Pre, it works great for me, and my wife really likes it too, but she liked the look of the Pixi better over the slider, so we went with it. I told her we could always take it back and get the Pre anyway if she ended up changing her mind. The point is, I've had the Pre awhile, and am quite familiar with it.

So I was setting up the Pixi for her yesterday. It was FAST. In my opinion. Sure there were some very brief pauses or lags, just like I see with my Pre. But honestly it felt snappier than my Pre. Probably cause there was nothing on it. No email, contacts, accounts, nothing. So I set up her 1 google email account, showed her how to use that and the contacts sync, and calendar sync, how to change certain settings. I must say, it was VERY snappy still, I really liked it. My phone has several email accounts, facebook, calendars, etc... and it isn't as snappy, but still fine for me. I had no issues with the EVDO on the Pixi. It did the update from 1.2.9.1 to 1.3.1 fairly quickly, (just 22 MB) and synced her google info fast too. Honestly, if it wasn't for the lack of wifi and smaller screen, I'd go get a Pixi too. I like the candy bar form factor, and I liked the keyboard on it quite a bit too.... Oh well, come June I'll just get the Pre replacement...

But in the mean time, honestly the Pixi is a really good phone at the price its being offered at.
    I played with it a bit. Didn't noticr the lag but I really just spent a few minutes at the Sprint store.

I'd say the keyboard is remarkably good, almost up there with a BB but much smaller.

I didn't like the screen. Size is fine, it's dim and dims further randomly. But it also seems fuzzy as if it's not running in its native resolution.

Overall I thought it was nice.
    I bought a Pixi for my son. It turns out that Best Buy Mobile will price match Wirefly. Which means that my son got his Pixi for $30. The Best Buy guy said that all Best Buy Mobile stores will price match online retailers. But the rest of Best Buy will not.

In any case, I spent the better part of last night and some this morning playing with it, and...
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    So I was setting up the Pixi for her yesterday. It was FAST. In my opinion. Sure there were some very brief pauses or lags, just like I see with my Pre. But honestly it felt snappier than my Pre.
    I could not agree more with this assessment. It really did feel snappier than my Pre. But I also agree with this...
    Probably cause there was nothing on it.
    I haven't created a google account for him yet like you have. But we'll see if the device feels snappier to me than my Pre.

The one area that it did not feel faster, however, is in web page loading. Wifi makes a huge difference in that arena. But other than that, the phone feels super quick.
    Honestly, if it wasn't for the lack of wifi and smaller screen, I'd go get a Pixi too. I like the candy bar form factor, and I liked the keyboard on it quite a bit too.... Oh well, come June I'll just get the Pre replacement...
    That is my assessment, too. That form factor is super sweet. If it had wifi, I'd be trying to trade my Pre for a Pixi. Screensize not withstanding. I agree with PhoneDog: WebOS transitions very well to the smaller screen.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  8. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    I've noticed this too. Don't forget these are the guys who kept on harping on the Pre cheese-cutting 'feature' like it was the end of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    You might want to re-think your attitude because the performance issues, especially laggyness, are rampant. In this specific case, they are not wrong.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    The problem with most reviewers is that they cannot separate themselves from their expectations and approach each review with a clean slate.

They cannot review a phone on its own merits, and they must compare it to another phone to even establish any sort of coherant thought. Now I am not saying that comparisons are bad, but you need to be able to review features in context.

You want to make comparisons in a comparison article, go ahead. However, if you are reviewing a phone, review it please and keep opinions out of it.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I think they gave an honest, albeit uninsightful review of the phone. While, yes, they are a jaded bunch, when the Pixi is in laggy mode, it is truly maddening.

Better reviewers would have identified it for what it is, a bug, as opposed to an intended deficit or limitation of the phone, but a new Pixi user who only spends 30 minutes with the phone might very easily have the same experience.

Hopefully the Gizmodo review gets Palm to take it seriously, because it is definitely unacceptable, and might even cause me to return it if I don't see some progress on the issue in the next 27 days

How something like that makes it through QA is beyond me.
    Let's be completely, 100% honest here. If you are being objective, and you're reviewing a phone and it takes 30 seconds to do ANYTHING that should be more or less instant, you damn well better lambaste the phone as a piece of crap. Imagine what some of the Palm evangelists would have said about the iPhone 3GS if it had come out like this? Palm needs to fix this almost immediately or the Pixi may be doomed. Look what happened to Vista, it was never able to recover from the initial reviews and user response. Maybe not a perfect analogy, but this is very bad and I'm so not happy that my Pixi will arrive tomorrow with a massive, deal-breaking bug like this. All I can hope for is that it is cell-tower specific and that my towers do not bring out this bug. Seems possible from some other posts I have read indicating it is not a universal problem.
    Last edited by danspalmone; 11/17/2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: For some reason precentral censored the word "******." I replaced it with "evangelist."
    The review seemed fair to me as well. There were some aspects of the phone that the reviewer clearly enjoyed (like the form factor). Had I received a phone that seemed to have a gigantic usability flaw I would have come down hard as well. Would anyone here be happy with a phone that preforms like that?
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    I have a Pre and Pixi and I like the Pixi a lot. Are there things that could be better? Sure...but I knew the difference from the Pre to the Pixi so I shouldn't be upset or dislike the phone. I think a big issue is people are expecting this to perform similar to the Pre. The reality is this is more of an entry level device with the webOs. Its not meant for certain people but fits others. It depends on what you need. Just like tools.

Honestly, so far I like the Pixi over the Pre. I know i'm going to open a whole can of worms here but for me I think the Pixi is a better fit. I'm fine without wifi, slower processor etc because I think the device makes up for it with the size and the keyboard. The keyboard is great. I can type a lot faster then I could with the Pre. Sure it lags sometimes but nothing that is going to make the world stop turning and its not meant to be the most powerful device. It has a place and it seems like there's a lot of negative comments on the Pixi. I have no problem saying I like it better then my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post
    Are there things that could be better? Sure...but I knew the difference from the Pre to the Pixi so I shouldn't be upset or dislike the phone. I think a big issue is people are expecting this to perform similar to the Pre....

....I know i'm going to open a whole can of worms here but for me I think the Pixi is a better fit....It has a place and it seems like there's a lot of negative comments on the Pixi. I have no problem saying I like it better then my Pre.
    JBcellular, no one, especially me, would argue with you on this. But the issue seems to be that the Pixi is not operating as it is supposed to. It is not underpowered, at least not from my perspective and needs (like you it sounds,) but from what we're reading in these forums the Pixi is affected by a nasty EVDO bug that is completely unacceptable under any standard.

Are you in an EVDO area and do you NOT have this bug?

Gizmodo might not be the most objective site on the 'net, but I've haven't seen them say things this negative in a while:

"Don't Buy It -- The Pixi is screwed.....the Pixi is brain damaged, three-legged dog slow, as nice as the hardware is on the outside."

Seems to me that if the EVDO bug was fixed and the price was $49.99, they'd actually like the phone, even if a bit frustrated by its shortcomings.
    I tried the Pixi today. Slowness was not the first thing(or anything I noticed). It was the absurdly small for a touch screen phone screen. It was just silly. It was comical that it was multitouch. It was also like looking at my Blackberry Pearl. If they had a larger screen, it'd be an incredible platform. I also noticed the keys are physically smaller than the Pre's keyboard, making me like the Pre's keyboard a lot more. I also liked that the Pre's keys are staggered, instead of straight rows.
    Here is the email I sent to Gizmodo (specifically, the author) this morning:

I've been following Gizmodo on the phone reviews - specifically anything that is Palm related and I have to you, I am not sure it's a company-wide practice but everyone at Gizmodo seems to have it out for Palm and everything they release. There are several things that are just plain biased on your recent article.

First, the HTC Hero is now $99. Not sure why you suggested people flock to Verizon to buy the HTC Eris. It's the same phone. Additionally - when you guys first reviewed the HTC Hero, it was complaints galore - specifically around the lack of speed. So not sure why you would recommended people to go to a slow phone after complaining about another slow one.

Second - the slowness of the Pixi was discovered by owners that there is an EVDO radio conflict. The phone seems to fly when turned to 1X. Hopefully Sprint or Palm will fix this.

Third - The camera quality. I've heard of this too but I had to do my own testing to check it out. To the top is the Pixi. To the bottom is the Pre. Yes, flash was on for both.

Your recommendation of "Don't Buy It" is a little extreme, don't you think? I do understand that the majority of your audience are techies but I do believe that the Pixi is targeted towards a specific market and I think this unit would suit them just fine. These types of reviews are reminiscent of auto reviewers. They peg a Mercedes against a BMW, Audi and Mercedes always comes in last. It's not a performance/sports vehicle and never hoped it would be but the reviewers drive that thing as if someone is going to race home to work every day. Same goes for phones. Not everyone is a "power user" and while smartphones are becoming ever so popular, there's going to be a shift and a balance between "normal" users and "power" users will clash. But at the same time, there will be smartphones for just the "normal" folks and I think this phone satisfies that niche for now.

Also, you complain about the screen size but that is very biased as well since you compare it to the Pre. Blackberry will be releasing a touchscreen/expose keyboard phone some time soon and it makes me wonder how you folks will review that one. I've seen negative reviews from you folks before but this was a downright slaughter and it makes me question the credibility of Gizmodo's reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    I bought a Pixi for my wife yesterday. I have had the Pre since the day it came out, and the same one at that. I love the Pre, it works great for me, and my wife really likes it too, but she liked the look of the Pixi better over the slider, so we went with it. I told her we could always take it back and get the Pre anyway if she ended up changing her mind. The point is, I've had the Pre awhile, and am quite familiar with it.

So I was setting up the Pixi for her yesterday. It was FAST. In my opinion. Sure there were some very brief pauses or lags, just like I see with my Pre. But honestly it felt snappier than my Pre. Probably cause there was nothing on it. No email, contacts, accounts, nothing. So I set up her 1 google email account, showed her how to use that and the contacts sync, and calendar sync, how to change certain settings. I must say, it was VERY snappy still, I really liked it. My phone has several email accounts, facebook, calendars, etc... and it isn't as snappy, but still fine for me. I had no issues with the EVDO on the Pixi. It did the update from 1.2.9.1 to 1.3.1 fairly quickly, (just 22 MB) and synced her google info fast too. Honestly, if it wasn't for the lack of wifi and smaller screen, I'd go get a Pixi too. I like the candy bar form factor, and I liked the keyboard on it quite a bit too.... Oh well, come June I'll just get the Pre replacement...

But in the mean time, honestly the Pixi is a really good phone at the price its being offered at.
    I tested out the Pixi as well and you're right, the first thing I thought of was "wow, it's very snappy". I conclude that this is because the "cards" the fly up, down and side to side have less room to move. That's just a theory but yea...very fast. I am so close to pulling the trigger and getting the Pixi to replace my Pre
    I noticed this about the Pixi, maybe this would help with some people and their EVDO lag. I never noticed any EVDO lag, for what its worth.

First, when I got the Pixi, the OS was 1.2.9.1. The PRL was 60657. I checked my Pre, and I had PRL 60654. I immediately updated my Pre. I then updated the Pixi to 1.3.1. It took about 1/2 hr. I really hadn't used the phone much before this, just activated it. After the update, the Pixi was at 1.3.1, and had a PRL of 60654. I of course updated the PRL to 60657. Went perfectly, and I honestly never noticed any slow downs with it. It was very snappy, my wife got all her stuff set up on it quickly, started using it. Loves the calendar and email. Everything is nice and fast. She JUST has the 1 google account, whereas I have google, yahoo, work email, and facebook on my Pre. So mine is doing a whole lot more, and still is about as snappy as the Pixi. Maybe if you are having the EVDO slowness, and upgraded to 1.3.1, you just need to update the PRL to 60657. It could just be a signal issue or something.....

Hope that helps someone....
    Someone please update their PRL! I hope supercluver is on to something!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast