Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    Someone please update their PRL! I hope supercluver is on to something!!!

Can someone verify this? If so, I am definitely on the Pixi bandwagon
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I tried the Pixi today. Slowness was not the first thing(or anything I noticed). It was the absurdly small for a touch screen phone screen. It was just silly. It was comical that it was multitouch. It was also like looking at my Blackberry Pearl. If they had a larger screen, it'd be an incredible platform. I also noticed the keys are physically smaller than the Pre's keyboard, making me like the Pre's keyboard a lot more. I also liked that the Pre's keys are staggered, instead of straight rows.
    I'll agree with the screen size; it's not big enough for me. That and the lack of Wifi. The keyboard is another story, as I noticed a marked improvement in both my typing speed and accuracy when I picked the phone up and starting typing on it. All in all, I think the performance issues in the camera and the weird EVDO bug that seems to be plaguing it wont be show stoppers; folks that would otherwise be picking up the Pearl or the Curve are going to start going for this little guy instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I'll agree with the screen size; it's not big enough for me. That and the lack of Wifi. The keyboard is another story, as I noticed a marked improvement in both my typing speed and accuracy when I picked the phone up and starting typing on it. All in all, I think the performance issues in the camera and the weird EVDO bug that seems to be plaguing it wont be show stoppers; folks that would otherwise be picking up the Pearl or the Curve are going to start going for this little guy instead.
    The screen is almost comically small. I pinch zoomed and felt like an *****, and probably looked it too. I like the lack of a button for the gesture area, but IMO the gesture area should be a part of the screen on the Pixi. I may just be used to the curved layout on the Pre, because my typing was a bit slower on the Pixi.
    I like the feel of the Pixi's keyboard. But I don't think I'm any faster or slower on it. It just feels nicer.

As for the screen size, I was surprised at how it didn't really matter that much to me. I found it surprisingly useful despite being smaller.

I was, however, somewhat annoyed at its brightness compared to the Pre's screen. I leave my Pre's screen at about 15%. On the Pixi, the brightness slider was well over 50% - maybe even 60%. But sitting next to the Pre at only 15% it was noticeably dimmer. Turning the brightness on the Pre all the way to the lowest level got it to be about the same as the Pixi.

I wonder if the screen brightness, combined with another issue I've seen, means my son has a dud.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I like the feel of the Pixi's keyboard. But I don't think I'm any faster or slower on it. It just feels nicer.

As for the screen size, I was surprised at how it didn't really matter that much to me. I found it surprisingly useful despite being smaller.

I was, however, somewhat annoyed at its brightness compared to the Pre's screen. I leave my Pre's screen at about 15%. On the Pixi, the brightness slider was well over 50% - maybe even 60%. But sitting next to the Pre at only 15% it was noticeably dimmer. Turning the brightness on the Pre all the way to the lowest level got it to be about the same as the Pixi.

I wonder if the screen brightness, combined with another issue I've seen, means my son has a dud.
    No as far as the screen brightness goes, I don't think so. I notice the exact same thing, the Pixi screen is less bright. Noticeably so. I think its light sensor is overly sensitive, because in bright conditions there isn't as much of a difference....
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    JBcellular, no one, especially me, would argue with you on this. But the issue seems to be that the Pixi is not operating as it is supposed to. It is not underpowered, at least not from my perspective and needs (like you it sounds,) but from what we're reading in these forums the Pixi is affected by a nasty EVDO bug that is completely unacceptable under any standard.

Are you in an EVDO area and do you NOT have this bug?

Gizmodo might not be the most objective site on the 'net, but I've haven't seen them say things this negative in a while:

"Don't Buy It -- The Pixi is screwed.....the Pixi is brain damaged, three-legged dog slow, as nice as the hardware is on the outside."

Seems to me that if the EVDO bug was fixed and the price was $49.99, they'd actually like the phone, even if a bit frustrated by its shortcomings.
    Yes I'm in an EVDO area with an average of 3 bars. It lags at times and goes to 1xRTT but it's not any different from my Pre or Blackberry. I wonder if some user are using the airave and it could be causing some issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    giz are apple *******...almost nothing else (mobile) gets a favorable review...
    The Engadget review was imho a more balanced one. After reading it I wondered why the Giz reviewer included the non-update of the iTunes syncing hack in webOS 1.3.1 as a specific failure of the Pixi...
    Quote Originally Posted by nocopies View Post
    The Engadget review was imho a more balanced one. After reading it I wondered why the Giz reviewer included the non-update of the iTunes syncing hack in webOS 1.3.1 as a specific failure of the Pixi...
    hasn't Palm been selling phones as working with itunes though?
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    hasn't Palm been selling phones as working with itunes though?
    Well, that was the case with the Pre, but not the Pixi. Unless they specifically said so in the Pixi printed materials. Seems they have no more ways to enable the hack though...
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nocopies View Post
    Ditto for the Pre review of both sites.
    If the Pixi had WiFi and the Pre's camera, it would be my new phone. The keyboard is incredible.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Oh, that article just demonstrates Matt Buchanan's typical penchant for shredding any device that slights him. Brutal, but always a good read.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12