1.    #1  
    I've had the palm pre since launch date and have enjoyed the phone, even though I'm on my third pre. I have some app envy, but most apps that I see on iphones are a waste of time/space or can be just as easily accomplished with other fuctionality or a webbrowser on the phone. All that being said, I picked up a palm pixi today at bb for my wife. The phone reps at bb were talking down the phone and told me how bad it sucked and that I should go with the hero.

I bought the phone. The palm os to me is smoother and has better fit and finish then android platform. I found my wife's pixi to be great. I initially missed the pre ****, but found the pixi gspot to be just as seemless. I didn't have any problems with lag on her phone. I've only downloaded several apps to date, but I didn't experience any lag as others have complained about.

I felt the fit and finish on the phone is better then the pre, and since it doesn't have any moving parts its one more positive thing in its favor. I think wifi would be nice, but wifi is a extra convenience factor, because I find sprints data network is good already and wifi would just be a nice accessory.

Good job palm. Keep them coming.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    good to hear.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    i'm glad to see a positive thread for the Pixi. I'm with you on this. I have Pre and a Pixi and I prefer the Pixi. I think if the Pixi launched first people would have really given it a fair shake. The problem seems they had the Pre w more features so now they are compairing a device that is suppose to more of an entry level webOS device to the Pre.

I think the Pixi is great and there's a fit for it depending on what's important. I love the keyboard and that's important to me.
    What version webOS are you running? You're not experiencing the EVDO bug being discussed at length in another post?
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    What version webOS are you running? You're not experiencing the EVDO bug being discussed at length in another post?
    1.3.1 I have some occasional lag but it's not bad for the most part. My signal is pretty good and it doesent change to 1xRTT anymore then the Pre did.

I'm wondering if some users are using Airaves and it could be contributing to the issue.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    My wife is loving the Pixi. i keep asking her if she'd really rather switch up to the Pre (I got a Pre back in June and love it). She just looks at me like I've lost my mind, and goes back to happily using the phone.

I got to use it for a few hours last night. it worked great. Keyboard is the best I have used. I only missed the slightly bigger and brighter screen on the Pre, but otherwise was a great experience. I liked it. She loves it (she moved to Pixi from a 755p).
  7.    #7  
    Its running 1.3.1. Its funny I've been playing with my wifes phone quite a bit, because I like it better then my pre. I haven't noticed lag at all. For instance, I have both phones in front of me on desk. I closed all programs on both and disabled wifi on pre. Opened ESPN on both phones, closed website. Opened ESPN again. Both loaded same speed. Then opened Pandora on both phones, pandora itself opened same, but data connection on pre picked up faster. Opened Simple Bible on both at same time. Pixi was faster. Then hit email on both, they opened at same speed. Hit new mail message and pre opened about 1 second faster. Then I hit google maps, and pre opened slightly faster, but pixi found gps and location about 5 seconds faster then pre. Then I opened calendar and Pre was about 1 second faster then pix. Then I opened photo's and both loaded at same time. Then Camera and pixi took 15 seconds longer. Then music and both loaded about same speed.

My point in this long post is that I'm not seeing big speed difference in everyday use of both phones. I think the pixi may get bogged down once you get multiple programs opened, but my test is far from scientific. I would be curious to see what others users come up with when running both phones side by side.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfalcon View Post
    Its running 1.3.1. Its funny I've been playing with my wifes phone quite a bit, because I like it better then my pre. I haven't noticed lag at all. For instance, I have both phones in front of me on desk. I closed all programs on both and disabled wifi on pre. Opened ESPN on both phones, closed website. Opened ESPN again. Both loaded same speed. Then opened Pandora on both phones, pandora itself opened same, but data connection on pre picked up faster. Opened Simple Bible on both at same time. Pixi was faster. Then hit email on both, they opened at same speed. Hit new mail message and pre opened about 1 second faster. Then I hit google maps, and pre opened slightly faster, but pixi found gps and location about 5 seconds faster then pre. Then I opened calendar and Pre was about 1 second faster then pix. Then I opened photo's and both loaded at same time. Then Camera and pixi took 15 seconds longer. Then music and both loaded about same speed.

My point in this long post is that I'm not seeing big speed difference in everyday use of both phones. I think the pixi may get bogged down once you get multiple programs opened, but my test is far from scientific. I would be curious to see what others users come up with when running both phones side by side.
    What he said.
  9.    #9  
    I did notice when closing out all those cards that the pre was quite a bit faster in closing each card and sliding the next card into its place.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    compared side by side the Pixi kicks Curves ***** all day long!
    I took the wife and 14yo daughter in to the Sprint store to show them the Pixi, and they both loved it. The wife is moving from a Instinct to the Pixi and the daughter is moving from a Centro.

I've had a Pre since Launch day and am still very happy with it, no refurb or issues as of yet.

I really like the Pixi too. The smaller screen is a downside but overall it is a neat phone that I think will get a nice share of the market.

I think the OS is what these two phones are really all about.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    The big let down with the Pixi isn't how 'slow' it is; it's more of how it handles multi-tasking. If you compare the Pre's internal specs to the Pixi's - you'll notice a difference. You'll definitely start seeing it as well, once you put in your music, videos, photos on the the Pixi and start actually using what the operating system was based on -'multi-tasking'.

The Pixi is great, but some optimization is needed. I'd rather have a the Pixi overall slower in opening apps and being able to multi-task almost as close to the Pre than vice-versa. Wi-Fi is a downer, but I'm not complaining.
    I upgraded from a Treo 700p to a Pixi last week and am very happy so far. The hardware is solidly built and attractive, the keyboard is fantastic, and the screen is quite nice. If you haven't used a Pixi yet, try one out for a while; it feels great in your hand and it's a pleasure to operate. Nicely proportioned. The small screen is a downside—sometimes I am viewing a column of text on a webpage and simply want it to be bigger so the text is larger—but usually I don't care and I do think the excellent form factor is worth this tradeoff.

I haven't had lag issues, I haven't had build quality issues, and the battery life has been pretty good. My only real complaints are with a few corners of webOS, such as the lack of repeating tasks and the poor design of the calendar app when compared to PalmOS. It is amazing how well PalmOS was designed and how much thought went into each common interaction to make it as fast as possible. But the software will improve (and maybe I will write some of my own) and the platform itself has legs.

Very happy with my Pixi.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have read the reviews and have seen the pre and pixi in action beside one another and i truely think that for what the pixi is supposed to do- it passes the test.