Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    if I have my Pre keyboard slid out, then hitting the power button is enough to get rolling. Hell, hitting the spacebar does it too. So why does the Pixi require a two-stage unlock? candybar blackberries let you press any key to turn it on.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    i'm not sure I understand your question, but it serves as a way to avoid 'pocket dialing' or other things when in your pocked.

if pressing the power key unlocked the device it would be easy to get hit in your pocket.

I like this feature. The power button wakes the device up and the lock helps to avoid hitting stuff when in your pocket.

this is just my opnion.
    seems normal just like many other phones in the touch screen cat...like iPhone.
    No trust us...the Pixi really doesnt require a screen lock. The only way to turn it on is by pressing the power button at the top left, but that strictly requires a human finger since the button is part of the battery cover itself. (Needs more than normal pressure)

It also gets annoying to have to move a circle ball 3cm to the left or right just to use it.
    Duplicate post - edit - delete
    LACienega I agree 100% .. there should atleast be a choice. Maybe someone will patch it.
    I wish there were a choice, it gets pretty annoying when you're on the bus with the pre in your hand and text messaging/IMing with someone. (for instance) Or it would be nice if screen lock were automatically situation specific. (knew its in a pocket)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post
    i'm not sure I understand your question, but it serves as a way to avoid 'pocket dialing' or other things when in your pocked.

if pressing the power key unlocked the device it would be easy to get hit in your pocket.

I like this feature. The power button wakes the device up and the lock helps to avoid hitting stuff when in your pocket.

this is just my opnion.

There's no way that power button is going to be hit on accident. The power button is enough.

The screen is capacitive. Pocket fabric is not going to allow you to open an app.
    On a full touch device it makes some sense, but I don't see why the Pixi can't follow the Pre's open-keyboard rules.
    Plenty of people have complained that the Pre calls emergency services from their pockets. Admittedly... Those people are probably kind of dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralViscen View Post
    There's no way that power button is going to be hit on accident. The power button is enough.

The screen is capacitive. Pocket fabric is not going to allow you to open an app.
    On a full touch device it makes some sense, but I don't see why the Pixi can't follow the Pre's open-keyboard rules.
    It's "by accident". Are you 10?
    actually it does depend on your age...most people under the age of 30 say "on accident." "By accident" is no more correct than "on accident," although "on accident" sounds weird to some of us (myself included. )
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    my wife made the same point, you should be able to hit the space bar, (or any key for that matter), to wake the screen, then have to drag the lock, instead of having to hit the power button....
    who can patch this?
    anyone?
    anyone...?
    anyone......?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryn View Post
    It's "by accident". Are you 10?
    That seems unnecessarily harsh. It's not like he said "my bad"

Most people under 30 do say "on accident". It is incorrect, yes, but hardly worth pointing out disgustedly.

To address the OP, though, it seems like the proper solution would be to do away with the lock screen and leave the power button to serve as the only means of locking/unlocking the phone (other than a timeout after the display has dimmed).
    The issue with the screen lock, besides being redundant (power button not so easily pressed in your pocket - although an incoming call might be inadvertently answered when taking out of pocket) is the fact that you cant Ignore with text. When it's plugged in charging, there is no screen lock and when a call comes in one can hit the tel # in the middle of the screen allowing you to then send a text. If you have to slide the lock thing up, well then you've answered the phone call.

So there must be something we can do because it does disable when charging.. hmm...
    Last edited by spidif; 01/16/2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: addional info:
    The reason for a lock screen is so you don't pocket dial. If there was none, then you would be calling all over.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    The reason for a lock screen is so you don't pocket dial. If there was none, then you would be calling all over.
    I have had a treo pro before, which you only needed to press one of three keys to turn on and never pocket dialed with the touch screen or keys.

Having to hit the power and slide up is a little redundant.
    Personally, I would love a blackberry like sleeve that turns can turn the phone on when removed. I always thought that was a nice feature of BB.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I understand your point. I'm gonna guess they kept the screen lock for consistencies sake. I wouldn't be surpised if this could be removed via a patch at some point. Have you tried requesting it here on the forums?
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Funny... my wife's Pixi screen lock function doesn't work. After ending a call to me, the Pixi has redialed from her pocket several times, even after she powered it off.

My Pre locks every time I turn off the power. Her Pixi does not. We "fixed" the problem by activating the PIN lock feature on her phone. It works now, but it seems like an unnecessary extra step.
    you really don't have drag the lock icon. Just swipe up from the gesture area to the screen to answer a call or unlock. It requires less dexterity and less travel.
    If you use PIN or Password Lock Screen, the initial lock screen is the most useless and annoying thing in the world. Not sure why it's necessary to have me drag a little circle before I can enter my PIN!

I hope Palm gives us the option to disable it or someone makes a patch soon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast