Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's an excellent example of what I've be talking about regarding Pixi lag being a function of the EVDO radio instead of the CPU.

Download TMaps DC and launch the DC Metro Map. The device will all but freeze. If you wait several minutes, the map might show up, but the device will go into many long pauses.

Close or reboot the device, go into airplane mode, and then run TMaps DC again... now the map comes up in seconds and performs exactly how one would expect. Same way in 1x mode.

The lag has to be related to the EV radio, even when the app isn't using the radio.
    You're posting a lot on this, and I'm curious to hear others' experience. Might be you just got a one-off that had bad EVDO hardware that needs exchanging.
  3.    #3  
    Quite possibly, but the Engadget review of the Pixi had a similarly awkward freezing issue when trying to browse to the engadget website.
    I can confirm the same issue exists on my Pixi. However, I've had some luck reducing its frequency and severity by switching over to EVDO Rev 0. Try that and see if you notice any difference.
  5.    #5  
    Here's an oddity. I am unable to open my domain's Google Apps mail site over EVDO, but it works on 1x. The site hangs with at the blue progress bar part of the loading.

Technically, a google apps site is just www.gmail.com with some extra junk at the end of the url. I am able to get www.gmail.com to open most of the time, but usually get an error dialog after a minute saying there were network problems and some features didn't finish loading

This does not freeze the device. It's just odd that it works in 1x mode every time... slowly, but without errors.
  6.    #6  
    Could it be that there is a relationship between javascript and the EVDO radio? Since the whole OS is web based, I suppose an issue like that could very well cause bizarre behavior throughout the OS.
    This has been an issue since launch day. When the radio starts it flickering between modes (1x-EVDO-phoneoffline, etc) the entire phone begins to lag very much so. I've been passing it along to Palm that they really need a radio tweak.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  8.    #8  
    ContraRadical -

Changing to hybrid EVDO 0 did appear to reduce instances of lag, but I was still unable to access gmail.com or my google apps page without errors, while 1x mode loads both perfectly every time.
  9.    #9  
    Achill3s - I've got 4 consistent bars, and I live in the middle of town, so I don't think this specific behavior is question of the radio switching (though that may very well be an issue as well).
    Quote Originally Posted by jello3d View Post
    ContraRadical -

Changing to hybrid EVDO 0 did appear to reduce instances of lag, but I was still unable to access gmail.com or my google apps page without errors, while 1x mode loads both perfectly every time.
    I couldn't get Gmail working either. It would stall on loading and then give an error page.
    I will give this a little bump so it gets more attention. My phone would be a massive lag fest until I locked it to EVDO only.
    I'd like to see Dieter or Derek post a poll on this for our Pixi viewers.

jello3d's right, the stuttering appears in half the Pixi vids I've seen. After months of launguishing to up my contract, I was seriously considering forgoing WiFi for the Pixi, but I'd wait if this bug needs fixing.

You out there sirs?
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    This thread's title may be a bit misleading. The lag problems seems to most evident when the radio is auto switching between modes. But, manually setting to 1xrtt OR EVDO seems to resolve that issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1PTUser View Post
    This thread's title may be a bit misleading. The lag problems seems to most evident when the radio is auto switching between modes. But, manually setting to 1xrtt OR EVDO seems to resolve that issue.
    Fair enough. Does still sound like a serious software radio bug at least.

With a strong signal it's rare to see the data connection glitch and jump between different modes in my experience on five other devices. And switching shouldn't cause hard lag.
    How could they release a phone like this? I mean, is ANYONE checking these things out before they mass produce and ship them? If this is a bug in every Pixi, I'll be really bummed. My should arrive in a couple of days. Please, folks, if you have a Pixi, let us know if you have this issue too?
    seem to be getting this with my pre after the 1.31 update when opening email after a notification...anyone else?
    Its actually pretty frustrating, I'm trying to switch from AT&T to Sprint (Data is better in Chicago) but this isn't exactly a good experience. I've had the phone swapped out just to be sure, and they both lag severely and don't hang onto EVDO well. If I lock it to Rev A it seems better, but still stutters quite a bit. BUT if i force it all the way down to 1xRTT the phone is perfect. They need to get a fix for this soon
  18.    #18  
    I have done pretty extensive testing and this is NOT a simple issue of switching between 1x and EV. We're talking 5 bars sitting 300 yds from a tower. The problem becomes most pronounced when locked at EVDO A... less pronounced locked to EVDO 0, and gone at 1x.

The prevailing theory is that the java engine (or whatever) is unable to process data at the EVDO speeds and chokes the whole system until it catches up. At 1x speeds it simply never chokes.
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Jello3d. Have you tried the patch that un-throttles the download manager? It would be interesting to see before-and-after speed tests and large file (3-4mb) download times using EVDO and this patch. It may help to show if download speeds are in fact choking the environment.
    Also, a number of users have stated that they were fine using EVDO Rev 0 and some Rev A. But, 1XRTT could be a most stable option. A lot of questions remain. I'll have to test some later.
  20.    #20  
    Yep, straight download speed doesn't seem to be the problem... it appears to be multiple small files and java laden pages.

What happens with google apps and to a slightly lesser extent gmail.com on EVDO (both A and 0) vs what happens to gmail.com on 1x (work perfectly)... may very well be the giveaway. Java heavy, lots of tiny files.

I'm not saying it's definitely java or definitely radio or even definitely speed, but there's definitely something going on around that general vicinity.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast