Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. pjs
    I finally got a chance to use the Pixi in a different location than home and it worked great -- no lag to speak of. Google Maps flew just like it should. I checked the EVDO RSSI and it was around -60dBm as opposed to -90dBm to -100dBm at home where I get nothing but lag.

At home, switching to 1xRTT solves the problem. The RSSI reported for 1xRTT is no different than that of EVDO (around -90dBm). Google Maps behaves normally in this mode. The throughput is not lightning fast (it's 1xRTT) but it never freezes up or gets sluggish. It just plugs along.

I am still thinking that this issue is related to EVDO signal strength. It seems that the system should be able to operate normally at this signal strength. I work with radios that do just fine with signals as weak as -100dBm. If this poor performance is normal for EVDO at this signal strength, then Palm needs to update the firmware to fall back to 1xRTT at some higher energy level, e.g. -80dBm.

I'll need to hear a solution from Sprint or Palm on this or the phones are going back and the plan cancelled. It's unrealistic to have to manually switch modes whenever the signal gets spotty. Especially since the Pixi needs a reboot to make the transition.
  2. pjs
    Quote Originally Posted by gmapes View Post
    I have PRE and getting a Pixi. I have noticed ever sense I upgraded to 1.3.1 that the EVDO is logging on the PRE. Terrible! I have to reset the phone and it all goes ok for awhile.

The pre is having same bug. When I get the PIXI I will see. PALM better answer thei ISSUE QUICKLY
    gmapes, just so I'm clear, you are saying that your Pre used to work fine in a certain location and now with 1.3.1 it no longer does? If you get a chance can you check your EVDO RSSI using the technique I described earlier. I'm curious to know if it you are also in a somewhat poor EVDO signal area.

I'm new to the Pre and the Pixi (got them both on Pixi launch day). Both of them have exhibited this behavior from the start. I don't recall seeing similar complaint on these boards in the past so it seems to have started with 1.3.1 (or possible 1.2.9 because I think my Pixi was doing from the start).

At least from what you are saying there is hope that whatever has changed can be reverted. Like tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I'm noticing it too... if I try to surf and play Pandora it starts lagging on me. Do one or the other and other non data type functions with the phone and it seems to be fine. I think there is some bug causing it to lag up with running the data... otherwise it's fine. I hope they fix this quick!!!!!!!!!!
  4. pjs
    Quote Originally Posted by gmapes View Post
    Not sure where your other post is to check EVDO RSSI. I will look for it. ... I am in a low signal area at home but out and about its a strong signal but still having issues with PRE.
    You've already basically answered my question by stating that you are in a low signal area, but if you want to know for certain, here's how:

Use ##debug# (##3836# from the phone dialer) to look at "Receive Signal Strength (EVDO)", which is also known as EVDO RSSI. Open the phone app in one card and something data-intensive like Google Maps in another. The EVDO RSSI will only be valid when Data State (two lines down) reads "Evdo Active".
    I want to keep bumping this up to the top. I don't have a Pixi, but it looks perfect for me. However, if there is something inherently wrong here, like a buffer or cache that fills up, or a chip that can't handle the throughput, or introduces undue lag--i'd like to know this sooner rather than later. That could really kill the experience with a device I would like to rely on. I'm not sure this silence is a good thing. Does the problem not exist? Is it going to go away spontaneously?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    @moderators sticky?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I am seeing this issue after I have used the device for awhile. It works MUCH better with the Hybrid Evdo 0 setting than in Rev A, but after a reset the pixi is very fast & multi-tasks very well.. It is something that happens after a period of using the web... Maybe cache does have something to do with it.. I'm not sure..
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I'm unaffected but someone who is should post a thread on the official Palm support forum. I'd link to it but my post count's too low.
    I just had a look over there. They seem to call this issue the 'memory leak bug'. At any rate, it seems as though there is no official word. I guess we can hope that Palm is working full speed on the issue. All I can say is that it has certainly stopped my purchase plans in their tracks.
    I have a Pre, and I got my girlfriend the pixi at her request (former centro user) and she has nothing but good things to say about the phone, I have to reset my pre at least once a day because the evdo will just stop working for some reason and then the phone lags out real bad.... the one good thing is that at home it uses wifi, so I don't notice...

The one question I do have though, is how do you reset the prl? I did notice that my pre was on a new one and maybe I can try and reset it...

As far as the pixi, the only time it gives me any issues is in a part of town where signal sucks... I also bought the airave just to get signal in the back of the condo...

But in side by side comparisons, I myself prefer the pre, but sometimes I think the pixi is faster...

But to stay on topic, I don't know how to reset the prl, but my girlfriend hasn't has any complaints on the lag, it's just me who notices some issues when signal strength is poor.

As for all the whiners..... all phones have issues, they are still new, you can't test every scenario..... I'm happy to have a 21st century phone without being forced to buy an iphone....
    To reset PRL, go to Phone app -> preferences -> Update PRL button
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    What exactly does resetting the PRL do and what is the advantage of doing so?
    Anyone have any experiences with being on the Airave? I know this doesn't help enhance a EVDO signal, but it does give you a good signal, thus possibly helping your signal strength for data?
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    Anyone have any experiences with being on the Airave? I know this doesn't help enhance a EVDO signal, but it does give you a good signal, thus possibly helping your signal strength for data?
    No. That's faulty logic, and you know it's faulty logic. Airave has nothing to do with EVDO, which is where the problem apparently occurs.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234