Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jello3d View Post
    Yep, straight download speed doesn't seem to be the problem... it appears to be multiple small files and java laden pages.

What happens with google apps and to a slightly lesser extent gmail.com on EVDO (both A and 0) vs what happens to gmail.com on 1x (work perfectly)... may very well be the giveaway. Java heavy, lots of tiny files.

I'm not saying it's definitely java or definitely radio or even definitely speed, but there's definitely something going on around that general vicinity.
    Y'know, as I understand it the Acid3 test checks JavaScript and other web standards. We know that webOS only now even registers. Perhaps something in the changes Palm made to make that happen are now choking it.
    Please forgive the ignorance (and please try not to make fun of it) but I have a few questions. First, how do you switch from EVDO to 1x. I can seem to figure it out. Second, is the lag only seen while on the web or simply while trying to use features on the phone? For example, I notice quite a bit of delay in simply opening up an email, or swithing between cards, etc. I expected it to be "instantaneous" or really darn quick, and everything seems to hesitate. Sometime even when I gesture "back" it has to really think about it before it will go back.
    I've been saying this for awhile. The less pixels from the camera, the lack of wifi, & the less pixels for the screen resolution were not a whole lot to give up. But the downgraded processor was a big mistake. Developing for two different GPUs & two different CPUs, especially when one produces lag like this... was a very, very, very poor decision by Palm.

This won't be a problem once the GPU support comes for the Pixi; it'll run a ton smoother than the Pre runs now. But that's prolly gonna be a few more months.
    Can anyone out there tell us if they have a phone NOT affected by this unacceptable bug? Please is there ANYONE who has a Pixi that works fine without limiting their data to 1x??? If this affects all Pixis, I'm going to go crazy. Been waiting to jump on the WebOS since January, 2009. Been waiting to enter the 21st century for years with Palm. Been putting up with the worst of Frankengarnet until my Centro finally gave me one last good Palm device to hold me over to the WebOS. Now this???????? I'm really, severely depressed if my second generation WebOS phone can't simply surf the web at EVDO speeds like every other phone out there!

Sorry for the rant, but I've been sticking with, and defending Palm, for 12 years!
    Well, I can at least confirm it does happen on another device. I finally had the time to hit the Sprint store to check the Pre and Pixi side by side as my big purchase is approaching.

The device at their store was running 1.3.1. I noticed some stuttering and then noticed the occasional flicker in the EV icon mentioned previously. Switched to 1x only with ##EVDO# and the twitchiness went away. The Pixi ran nicely.

There was also some weirdness with the screen brightness going up and down the whole time I played with it. But I'm going with the Pre, so my Pixi snooping is done. :-)
  6. pjs
    I am seeing the lag problem on my pixi and on my pre with 1.3.1. It's really bad -- basically unusable. Opening google maps is the best test of it for me.

The only thing that has fixed it is forcing 1xRTT via ##EVDO#. Works great then, just frustrating that it's running so much slower than possible.

Also, turning on wifi on the pre fixes it as well (not surprising).
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    Can anyone out there tell us if they have a phone NOT affected by this unacceptable bug?
    It's not a bug. It's a feature... so that you'll go buy a Pre instead.

Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    Sorry for the rant, but I've been sticking with, and defending Palm, for 12 years!
    I'd say that the processor downgrade with the Pixi was the only major mistake the "New Palm" has made. I'm sure that they'll continue optimizing the software so that lag will mostly go away... but lag is something Pixi owners should prepare for, at least for the time being.
  8. pjs
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    ...lag is something Pixi owners should prepare for, at least for the time being.
    I am seeing the same lag on both a Pre and a Pixi. Forcing 1xRTT fixes the problem on either one. This issue appears to be related to WebOS in general. Both devices are running 1.3.1, but I think I noticed it last night when the Pixi was still 1.2.9 (or whatever it came with).
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Cannot type ##EVDO# into the phone app. What am I doing wrong?
  10. pjs
    Use the numbers for the letters on the dialpad: ##EVDO# is ##3836#.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs View Post
    I am seeing the same lag on both a Pre and a Pixi. Forcing 1xRTT fixes the problem on either one. This issue appears to be related to WebOS in general. Both devices are running 1.3.1, but I think I noticed it last night when the Pixi was still 1.2.9 (or whatever it came with).
    Well... does 1.2.1 have the same issue on your Pre?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Ok Thanks I did it. Going into 1x now. Weird didnt seem to stutter until after the update. After the update it was stutter city. Before I had 5 cards including Gmaps camera etc and no stutter.
  13. pjs
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Well... does 1.2.1 have the same issue on your Pre?
    Sorry, I just got my Pre on Pixi launch day and upgraded to 1.3.1 immediately so I don't have experience with 1.2.1.
  14. pjs
    A bit more information. I looks like this issue is related to the quality of the EVDO signal available. At home both devices have trouble with EVDO, but are fine with 1xRTT. At work the Pre is fine with EVDO.

I'll talk to Sprint to see if there is anything strange about the EVDO in my area.

Another interesting thing I've noticed in all this playing around:
    The Pixi requires a reboot after changing the setting via ##EVDO#, while the Pre does not require a reboot. Too bad because the wifi-less Pixi is the one that is more dependent on EVDO.
    I had severe lag in all apps. My exchange mail and facebook seemed very slow, an going app to app was very slow as well.

The switch to 1XRTT fixed that for me as well. Hopefully they fix this bug soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by pjs View Post
    A bit more information. I looks like this issue is related to the quality of the EVDO signal available. At home both devices have trouble with EVDO, but are fine with 1xRTT. At work the Pre is fine with EVDO.

I'll talk to Sprint to see if there is anything strange about the EVDO in my area.
    Good luck contacting Sprint about EVDO in your area. I'm sure they'll be very helpful with all sorts of useful technical information and very honest about the possibility of shaky EVDO in your area. [/sarcasm] Seriously, I had a bad tower near my house that took several years off my life and created countless gray hairs. The tech support--even at the highest levels--was maddening. You might get lucky and find someone knowledgeable and helpful, but it's a low chance. That said, please do let us know if you get anywhere!
    Played with a Pixi at a Sprint store for a lonnng time and was dismayed to say the least by the performance. The device itself, hardware, was a joy to behold. The keyboard is spot on banging even if it's so small, and i have big hands.

Oddly they had a Pixi and a Pre side by side on demo and most things like web browsing were faster on the Pre. Sometimes just flicking through cards on the Pixi would stall for a few secs then it would catch up. Mind you, signal strength on both were equivalent with solid EV. Lag became more pronounced as i used it more, enough to be noticable and annoying.

Hmm, not pleased at all.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  18.    #38  
    Again, after extensive testing, even with 5 bars of EVDO coverage, the problem exists. Sometimes it is more or less depending on what you're doing, and switching between EVDO and 1x in a fringe area may exacerbate it, but it is always present no matter the EVDO connection you have.

The issue disappears all together with 1x.

The problem is in the code, not the EVDO network.
    It boggles the mind that this got through both Palm's and Sprint's QC and testing processes. Assuming they actually have QA and testing processes.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    It boggles the mind that this got through both Palm's and Sprint's QC and testing processes. Assuming they actually have QA and testing processes.
    You said it...absolutely mind boggling. I would absolutely LOVE to be in a room with a Palm engineer right now and ask them point-blank: "How could this happen???"

Have you seen the Pre forum about 1.3.1? Something like 500 posts in just a few days, very few are positive.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast