1.    #1  
    Seems a bit odd that there isn't more traffic on this board, no? Doesn't give me a ton of hope that the Pixi is going to make a big splash. I intend on buying the day it comes out, but I'm worried that I'm buying into a dying platform...just like my beloved Centro! WebOS may be too little too late, I fear. Time will tell.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Well, I hate to be the one to say it. Maybe you shouldn't get the phone.

I get so tired of people pontificating on phone this and phone that. Just buy the d**m phone you like right now and when one you like better comes along then you can buy that one. Goodness, a phone isn't like a wife, you can change them whenever you want.

You whims are only limited by your cash (or credit) flow.

Now, back onto topic. Are you worried about buying a Pixi because you think the phone would quit working if development of Web OS applications stopped?
    What? There are thousands of users on here right now, hundreds of new threads each day.
    The Pixi is not out yet. Not much to talk about other than "OOO, looks cool, hope it does this, my wife wants one".

Expect this forum to get a lot busier once people can get their hands on it. Only so much 'anticipation' stuff you can talk about.
    It'll get dark on here soon enough..
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    The Pixi is not a hardcore phone. Precentral is hardcore yo! ;0
    my opinion is the pixi is a lower end pre, and seeks to market itself to new smartphone holders..

those that want a webos already got a pre (us techy geeks)

the pixi is for the new comers, and most are probably unaware at the moment until they shop at the sprint store for a new smartphone
    Wait... how does the number of people on this forum mean that the Pixi isn't going to succeed? This community tends to appeal strongest to those who already have or plan to get a Palm Pre or Pixi, by your logic dolls and Hannah Montana must not be popular to girls since I've never seen more than one in that isle at walmart.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    What? There are thousands of users on here right now, hundreds of new threads each day.
    The OP meant in the Pixi forum, you are speaking at the PreCentral level.
    I'm not sure that there will be as much activity on here after release even. The phone is in general aimed at lower-end users and non-techies. Most of those people probably won't go searching for a forum unless they have issues.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    I would think that most discussion about the device would fall into one of two categories...hardware or software.

If it's software, most of that discussion will be held in the WebOS subforums.

As for hardware discussions...considering the device is JUST being released (a few stores have pre-release devices for sale and the official launch is Sunday) I don't think too many folks have one in their hands to either A) ask questions about or B) complain about.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Well, I hate to be the one to say it. Maybe you shouldn't get the phone.

I get so tired of people pontificating on phone this and phone that. Just buy the d**m phone you like right now and when one you like better comes along then you can buy that one. Goodness, a phone isn't like a wife, you can change them whenever you want.

You whims are only limited by your cash (or credit) flow.

Now, back onto topic. Are you worried about buying a Pixi because you think the phone would quit working if development of Web OS applications stopped?
    Man, people on this board need to chill. Mr. DJMGee, with all due respect, you're blowing this WAY out of proportion. Let's take a look at the facts here:

First thing I said was, "Seems a bit odd that there isn't more traffic on this board, no?" As you can see from my signup date and number of posts, I've been here a while and seen a lot of phone intros. I'm saying from experience that this particular board (the Pixi board, not the entire slew of boards) is not seeing as much traffic as I would expect.

Next thing I said was that because of the low traffic, it "Doesn't give me a ton of hope that the Pixi is going to make a big splash." So you said, "I get so tired of people pontificating on phone this and phone that." What are you talking about??? Pontificating? That's actually pretty offensive. I'm simply stating a relatively mild thought on a fact (the fact that the traffic on the Pixi board is light.)

Next. "I intend on buying the day it comes out, but I'm worried that I'm buying into a dying platform." Um, what is so hard to understand about this? Yes, I'm worried that WebOS might not make it and my phone will not get the updates and support it needs. You said, "Goodness, a phone isn't like a wife, you can change them whenever you want." Yeah, that's just flat out WRONG. Maybe you're made of money, but I am not. Once I buy, after 30 days it's mine for a year. Getting one phone a year, is hardly buying "whenever you want."

You end with, "Now, back onto topic. Are you worried about buying a Pixi because you think the phone would quit working if development of Web OS applications stopped?" Give me more credit than that. I've been here FOUR years, I know how phones work. Of course I'm not worried it will "quit working!" But I am worried about investing at least a year in a platform only to have it die. How happy are the people who bought, for example, HD-DVD players? Sure they still work. But do they wish they bought a Blu-Ray instead? I mean, come on, you can't see why I'm a bit worried? I don't know about you, but my time is limited (I have a 1-year-old and 3-year-old!) It will be some effort for me to migrate all my stuff to the WebOS platform, and learn how it works to an expert level. I'd like that investments to last more than a few months.

Sheesh. People on here need to chill out. I posted just to see what others thought, not to "pontificate" and complain. These boards used to invite good debate. Not so much it seems.

End of frustrated rant.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post
    ...Sheesh. People on here need to chill out. I posted just to see what others thought, not to "pontificate" and complain. These boards used to invite good debate. Not so much it seems.
    One thing that is true with the advent of communication-via-keyboard: it is really difficult many times to understand the poster's true feelings. You can mean things one way, but they may be read completely differently.

I, also, thought the same about your original post. To me, it sounded as though you wanted Palm to die, even if just to say "I told you."

Reading your last post, I realize that was not the case.

As far as these boards are concerned, PreCentral is probably the MOST civil place I have frequented. People don't scream "STFF" every time a newbie asks a dumb question, they simply post the link to where the question was already answered. I used to read a lot of ZDNET's forums on technology, but I finally realized that even if you were talking about the newest sandwich from Burger King, within a day, it would turn into Mac-vs-PC, with jerks hiding behind their anonymity flaming each other! That gets old real fast.

I hope the Pixi is everything you hoped for and then some. I also hope (for my own needs) that it is available GSM very soon.
    tim
  14. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm a Pre guy. I actually think that because of the form factor the Pixi's going to do better then the Pre. In fact, if it came out at the same time as the Pre I'd probably go for the Pixi.

I've never been a fan of any phone with moving parts, I made an exception for Palm though.
    I've been leaning toward the Pixi for mostly the Treo Like form-factor.

It seems all the Glory is still with the Pre.
    I'm fine with that.
    The Treo Pro forums don't get much attention either,
    and yet it's still my favorite Treo to Date.
    Just call me Berd.
    I am resolved to wait until the Pre is available on Verizon before making my choice whether to go with Pre, Droid or some other new phone. But I can tell you this. If it comes down to picking the phone with voice commands and video recording and an SD card vs the phone that has none of those features . . . well which would YOU choose?
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    I am resolved to wait until the Pre is available on Verizon before making my choice whether to go with Pre, Droid or some other new phone. But I can tell you this. If it comes down to picking the phone with voice commands and video recording and an SD card vs the phone that has none of those features . . . well which would YOU choose?
    I understand... tomorrow is the last day of my 30 day cancellation trial with Sprint and the Pre. I went through hell with the LaSalle Street (Chicago) location when I went to swap my unit because of an issue. They were RUDE and wouldn't let me swap. Ended up getting a swap in the suburbs. I REALLY REALLY contemplated simply dumping my Sprint account and going over to Verizon for the Droid... BUT... I totally fell in love with the Pre and WebOS after using it for work and play for the past month. I'm very happy I got the swap because I was dreading not having a Pre in my hand after I've used it. I'm sure I would have gotten the Droid as my next option, but am completely happy and relieved I stayed with my Pre.