Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    yeah just saw this on youtube
    oooooo they love it ! and he makes a good point. with the size and better keyboard most people should be able to overlook the absence of wifi and .5" off the screen.

WHY CANT IT BE SUNDAY?!?!?
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    The reviewer said it comes with a 1400mah battery.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    The reviewer said it comes with a 1400mah battery.
    There's been a saying from Palm that it has the same battery as the Pre.. I doubt it's 1400mAh.
    it comes with a 1050mah battery, he must've gotten mixed up somewhere !
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    it comes with a 1050mah battery, he must've gotten mixed up somewhere !
    1150mah actually or so I had heard, same as the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    1150mah actually or so I had heard, same as the pre.
    WOOPS! my bad, i meant 1150mah >.<
    and i just noticed that the palm pixi is the highest rated of the 6 most recent reviews on phone arena !

it even beat the blackberry bold 9700 !
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Thanks for the link. Being a Centro owner, I have been wondering exactly what this Pixi would look like right next to my phone; this site has a cool feature that allowed me to see that, and I am amazed at just how thin this thing really is! Even though I can't go with Sprint, I'll be at their store next week to check this out in person.
    tim
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    My guess is, you can expect a review on the Pixi right here on precentral, and on other gadget sites, after an embargo lifts. If needed to bet, I'd guess it would be tonight at 12am.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The BlackBerry Curve and Pearl should be afraid.
    I gotta admit, this makes me excited. The reviewer describes it as "slightly snappier" than the Pre on webOS 1.2.1. However, we know the Pixi has an ARM11-based processor, and the review says its clocked at 600MHz. That puts the Pixi at least 75% slower than the Pre. webOS 1.3.1 should be interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    I gotta admit, this makes me excited. The reviewer describes it as "slightly snappier" than the Pre on webOS 1.2.1. However, we know the Pixi has an ARM11-based processor, and the review says its clocked at 600MHz. That puts the Pixi at least 75% slower than the Pre. webOS 1.3.1 should be interesting...
    The Pre is clocked at 500MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    it even beat the blackberry bold 9700 !
    But the Blackberry is just a smart-pager, not a smart-phone. It's like comparing calculators and PCs.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    The Pre is clocked at 500MHz.
    I know, re-read what I said. From this quote in the article:
    The Pixi runs on Qualcomm’s MSM7627 chipset, unlike the TI OMAP3430 the Pre runs on. The MSM7627 chipset has two ARM cores on a single chip, including one dedicated 600MHz applications processor, and a separate 400MHz modem processor to take care of some dirty work.
    The "applications process" is the important bit (the other "modem processor" is probably ARM9 design, what was two separate chips on the Pre are in one single package on the Pixi). I don't know if his passing-mention of 600MHz is accurate or not, but my 75% figure is still probably low.

What we're not sure is how much RAM the Pixi has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Is the Pixi meant to steal sales away from the Blackberry? I feel like the Pixi is more like a Palm Treo Pro than anything else. I'm worried that this will be a niche phone more like the Samsung instinct rather than a BB curve.
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pufftissue View Post
    Is the Pixi meant to steal sales away from the Blackberry? I feel like the Pixi is more like a Palm Treo Pro than anything else. I'm worried that this will be a niche phone more like the Samsung instinct rather than a BB curve.
    Now way. The Pixi is 20% thinner than any BlackBerry currently on the market, the keyboard a pleasure to use (really), the UI is much more pleasant, and the browser is actually usable. A lot of comparisons will be made against the Eris, but I think Palm has a winner on their hands here.
    The Eris is the only phone the Pixi has a problem against IMO. Maybe the iPhone 3G. Compared to the Pearl, Pearl Flip, Curve 8530, or any of those ~$100 dumbphones, it's great.

The pricing doesn't really work vs the Pre though. Palm should have just jammed in Wifi and a 3.2MP camera, and refreshed the Pre with a 5mp camera and 16GB and bumped it up to $180 or something.

I think it's clear from the Pixi's specs and pricing that Palm did not expect the Pre to be sub-$200 already.