Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I just got hired at Sprint about 3 weeks ago and yesterday our Pixi advocate received his phone and let me play with it a bit. My first impression is that this is not a phone for smartphone people. It is tiny. The area of the face is almost exactly the same size as a Centro. It's extremely thin. iPhone thin. But that isn't a bad thing. You'll forget about this in your pocket. You really don't notice the lack of RAM until you open 4+ apps and then it really bogs down. The keyboard is the same size as a Centro but feels nice because the keys are taller than the Pre's. You don't really notice the screen size until you pull out the Pre and compare it. Pinching and zooming is a little difficult because of screen size but other than that it works just fine. The gesture area feels odd because the silver ball isn't there and when the gesture light is not on, it looks like wasted space. The construction is solid but the buttons on the side for silent, volume, and power are a little cheap looking. The silent switch looks like it will break off in time. I didn't get a chance to explore the OS too much or play with the Facebook app, but I'm going to take another look today and report back. My conclusion is that as soon as the price drops below the initial start price of $99, Palm will sell A MILLION of these things. I think it definitely appeals to the teenager/new smartphone user market in a big big way.

If you have any questions ask them in this thread and I'll see if I can't answer them when I get back from work.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing your observations! So I've read different reports from different people who have handled the Pixi saying there is and isn't a Facebook application on the Pixi. So which one is it?
    SO GLAD to hear the screen only seems smaller when compare to the pre side by side. super pumped for sunday !
    I am wondering about the Facebook application also! There seem to be mixed reports as to whether it is on there or not.
    Everyone keeps talking about how much faster the Pixi looks as compared to the Pre as far as opening apps, etc. Did you notice this at all?
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    To clarify, I did not actively look for the Facebook application and I regret that I should have. I will take a good look today and report back. Honestly I'm not extremely excited if they don't include the ability to look at profiles on demand, send and receive messages, and look at photos. Get these questions in because I go into work at 2 PM EST and I won't be able to check what questions you have while there.
    --
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post
    To clarify, I did not actively look for the Facebook application and I regret that I should have. I will take a good look today and report back. Honestly I'm not extremely excited if they don't include the ability to look at profiles on demand, send and receive messages, and look at photos. Get these questions in because I go into work at 2 PM EST and I won't be able to check what questions you have while there.
    What are your personal thoughts compared to the Pre? Have you seen any artist back covers yet in store, or in the back?
    "My first impression is that this is not a phone for smartphone people."

I don't understand that at all. I have been using smartphones since the early days and currently have a Centro and consider it the best I've had. Nothing in what you said would make me think this is not a phone for smartphone people. I hate the Pre's form factor and love the Centro's...wouldn't that make the Pixi the perfect smartphone for this smartphone person?

On another note, how is the speed? And is the claendar more responsive than the Pre's molasses-feeling calendar? Is the email searchable? How is the one-handed operation? The Pre fails miserable at this due to the form factor. Is the Pixi better?

Thanks for the info!!!
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post

I don't understand that at all. I have been using smartphones since the early days and currently have a Centro and consider it the best I've had. Nothing in what you said would make me think this is not a phone for smartphone people. I hate the Pre's form factor and love the Centro's...wouldn't that make the Pixi the perfect smartphone for this smartphone person?

On another note, how is the speed? And is the claendar more responsive than the Pre's molasses-feeling calendar? Is the email searchable? How is the one-handed operation? The Pre fails miserable at this due to the form factor. Is the Pixi better?

Thanks for the info!!!
    Because the Pixi is limited in many areas that I would consider "must-haves" for the modern smartphone user (Screen Size, RAM, no WiFi) I consider it an entry level device for people who wouldn't ordinarily buy a smartphone.

One handed use was pretty good. The lack of a gesture area orb helps this out a lot. Typing will be comfortable because of the taller keys but still feels incredibly cramped (I never like the Centro's keyboard but if you like it, you'll feel right at home).

I unfortunately did not see your post before I went to work so I did not go through the email application.

Is it better? It depends on what you need. I need wifi, lots of RAM, a large screen so the Pre works better for me. If one handed operation and small form factor and battery life are bigger concerns, then the Pixi might suit you better.
    Last edited by postalUT; 11/11/2009 at 07:17 PM.
    --
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Speed is actually on par with the Pre, believe it or not. Calendars and browser pages might have popped up just a hair quicker (but my Pre is also heavily tweaked, which might have something to do with it). I test loaded a few websites for comparison and one thing I noticed was that it didn't always like to load WebOS friendly sites (even from default Palm bookmarks) so it might be that the Pixi has a slightly different browser user agent.

There is NO facebook app preinstalled on the Pixi. Sorry guys.
    --
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Because the Pixi is limited in many areas that I would consider "must-haves" for the modern smartphone user (Screen Size, RAM, no WiFi) I consider it an entry level device for people who wouldn't ordinarily buy a smartphone.
    I thought so as well; have you gotten any information on the artist back covers? Price, availability?
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    so not much in 1.3.1 but text fwd. yahoo IM ?
    are there dead pixels on it?
    thats the only thing im worried about :/
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...palm-pixi.html

this guy just got the pixi today!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone View Post

Thanks for the info!!!
    If I could have the Centro calendar on the Pre I would be the happiest smartphone user in the world! OH, the contact personalizing also on the Centro was great!

I really like the overall function of my Pre more, but will miss a lot of things about my Centro. I would still be using the Centro if it wasn't for Pre. I switched to the Instinct when it came out and gave that to my son and went back to my Centro.

WebOS is truly a huge leap forward and with more and more apps, I think it will get even better.
    ...There is NO facebook app preinstalled on the Pixi. Sorry guys.
    What about a LinkedIn app?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    What about a LinkedIn app?
    In the app store I believe
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shado.F View Post
    I thought so as well; have you gotten any information on the artist back covers? Price, availability?
    Nothing so far. My bet is that you'll see them up on Palm.com before they reach the stores. My other bet is that the artist backs will be the same price as the touchstone backs.
    --