1.    #1  
    Today I walked into our local Sprint corporate store and was just kinda killing some time and talking to the guy working the front desk when our discussion moved from Android to the Pre. I pulled mine out and told him about my disappointment in the build quality and he said "Have you seen the Pixi?" I said no, of course, since it's not due to be released until next week. So then he said "Wanna check it out?" Um, sure! So here are my impressions...

Build Quality is the first thing I look at now in a phone. The Pre has been so disappointing in this regard after having 2 rock solid HTC phones that it's become 2nd nature to twist a phone, flex it in the center, etc. The Pixi has fantastic build quality. No bend, no flex. It's not made out of metal, but it's a solid piece of electronics. I was shocked at how light the Pixi is compared to the Pre. The rubber-ish backing on the Pixi is very nice and conveys a great feel for the device in your hand.

Screen: The smaller screen size is definitely noticeable when compared to the Pre, but it still has beautiful color to it. For some reason I thought some of the icons looked crisper on the Pixi screen.

The OS version (I'm assuming 1.3.1) running on the Pixi I played with was very snappy. It seemed faster than my Pre, even though the Pixi has a slower processor. The Facebook app was not installed on the Pixi.

Keyboard: The Pixi keyboard has some improvements and drawbacks compared to the Pre. I've been reading these reviews about the keys being more raised, but never understood why that would matter; plus I never identified the Pre as having "shallow" keys. Well, the keys on the Pixi are definitely more raised and easier to type on. The keys also now have a "clicky" sound as you type. Very intuitive. Very nice. It's also great not having the keys bump up against another piece of the hardware like they do in the Pre. The main drawback of the Pixi keyboard is that it doesn't have the slight smile-shaped curve that the Pre keyboard has, and for some reason that slight curve makes it easier for me to type. It's probably something I could get used to, but I noticed it when I typed on the Pixi.

Overall it's a very nice, very light-weight device that will replace the Centro line without any problem. If it had Wi-Fi I might give some thought into replacing my Pre for a Pixi, but where I live we have spotty coverage so I force mine into 1X and use WiFi to save battery. My wife seemed very interested in it, but we're not willing to drop her SERO plan to get a Pixi.

Enjoy, future Pixi owners! You won't be disappointed!

For anyone in the Charlotte area who wants to check out the Pixi, stop by the store in the Promenade and ask.
    this makes me excited! ive been debating on whether to get the pixi or get the pre again. but after having so many hardware issues with the pre, the pixi seems the best choice (:
    I'm not interested in getting a Pixi, but I might go to my local store to see if they have one I could play with... just to check out the WebOS if nothing else.
    I wonder what's the deal with facebook..and if it will indeed install in 1.3.1

I personally do not use FB, but I can see it being a deal killer for some
    Trying out the Pixi right now. Friend is a Sprint regional sales rep for business. Typing is definitely different. Can't say if it is differnet in a good way or not. Agree with the speed difference. Very nice hardware and speedy OS.

+1,000,000 to Palm for bring out another winner.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    this makes me excited! ive been debating on whether to get the pixi or get the pre again. but after having so many hardware issues with the pre, the pixi seems the best choice (:
    If you like WebOS, but hate the hardware of the Pre and won't miss Wi-Fi, then I'd go for the Pixi.

Honestly, it's a MUCH better phone than I thought it would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop1979 View Post
    If you like WebOS, but hate the hardware of the Pre and won't miss Wi-Fi, then I'd go for the Pixi.

Honestly, it's a MUCH better phone than I thought it would be.
    thanks to this post i am 100% sold on the pixi! to have a bigger screen with the pre would be amazing but i cannot deal with shifty hardware you know ?
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Thanks, Coop. Very well done. We Centro owners will look at the screen and say "WOW", while the Pre owners will say "Huh?"
    tim
  9.    #9  
    1 thing I forgot to mention: I really liked the lack of "silver button". It gives the device a nice clean look and I hope it's a change they make for the Pre2.
    Good news on the keyboard.

Tks for the info Coop.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I'm guessing Facebook will be available through the Application Store just like Pandora was when the Pre was released....
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoeii View Post
    I'm guessing Facebook will be available through the Application Store just like Pandora was when the Pre was released....
    But Pandora is made by Pandora right? Other apps like NFL came with an update.
    having the option of FB from the app cat sounds like a better plan to me given the app limits fix being up in the air currently... Homebrew fix big check... But not everyone installs homebrew (why I don't know) but they are out there and should have the choice of using that space or not.... +1 for choice if that ends up being the case
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    My keyboard, no matter how many times I fool with the back cover (TS or OEM) always creaks. It kills me. I love this phone to pieces but the ****ing creaking keyboard is so annoying. The oreo effect is slight but annoying as well.

I am sold on a Pixi. I'll probably keep my Pre for the amazing camera and the WiFi, etc. Totally stoked on getting a Pixi on Sunday.
    too bad, you wont be able to use that pre cause once the contract is over, its a paper weight
    Quote Originally Posted by its that nerd View Post
    too bad, you wont be able to use that pre cause once the contract is over, its a paper weight
    That's the beauty of Wifi... with out cell service, the Pre is still able to do damn near everything but make calls and text. It's still a music player, it's still a video player, it's still a web browser... if that is a paperweight, it's a damn versatile one!
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Its a slick clean phone for $100! I have been using it and love the candy bar form and how much crisper the keys are compared to my Pre. The webOS 1.3.1 is VERY quick compared to the Pre when you compare them side by side. As for facebook its still MIA on the Pixi, it may be a possible download later. GO STAND IN LINE PEOPLE! This handset is a winner.
    About the "clicking" sound on the keyboard. Will this bother my wife if she's trying to sleep while I'm typing on the Pixi? Obviously you don't know my wife...but you get the gist of the question! Were you able to check out the calendar? Is it significantly more responsive than the 1.2.1 software currently on the Pre?

I'm very psyched for this phone. Definitely getting one on the 15th. I had a Pre and returned it for several reasons that many on these forums have detailed in other posts. I think this might finally have me retiring my Centro and the PalmOS that I have used since 1997!
    Do you happen to know if the Pixi will be fully functional with Exchange based email? I had a dreadful time trying to get Droid up and running with an echange based mail, and hope Pixi (and or Pre) might be better. Any insights?
    A couple of other questions. How is the USB door? Is it a better design than the one on the Pre (seems like it)? How is call quality? And do you have a sense of how the battery life is going to be? Has Palm said anything about synching? No Wifi, so hopefully you can synch contacts through USB some way, some how.

Thanks so much for all the info. I love the OS. But my contract is up now the hardware issues with the Pre make me want to hold out for Pre2. The Pixi seems like a sweet device. I'll be in Sunday morning to check it out.