Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    if you have service everywhere, is there really a need for Wifi? every tech site has people *****ing because the pixi doesn't have wifi and it's pretty annoying, don't you think?
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    if you have service everywhere, is there really a need for Wifi? every tech site has people *****ing because the pixi doesn't have wifi and it's pretty annoying, don't you think?
    Well.. they complain because they want a Pixi; but it doesn't have WiFi. It's understandable, I'd like WiFi on the Pixi as well. Constant whining is annoying though.
  3.    #3  
    I mean having wifi on there wouldn't hurt at all, but i dont think its a major fault. Sprint's 3G network is beyond amazing !
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I mean having wifi on there wouldn't hurt at all, but i dont think its a major fault. Sprint's 3G network is beyond amazing !
    I guess even as a entry-level phone; it being a smartphone and all - it'll make sense to have WiFi. Even with Sprint's EVDO Rev. A - a lot of people including myself would like to do voice and data simultaneously.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    wifi has become one of the biggest features of my Pre. i honestly use it any chance i get. when i study at work or the library, i plug my phone into the outlet, turn on wifi and run whatever apps i want ( Pandora, or surfing the web). then i can alwo make calls, and yada yada. plus, if by chance, you dont have an EVDO signal, this is perfect. and i personally think it works faster depending on strength of signal...
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    Wifi is like powersteering on a car @ this point. In those isolated areas where coverage is low or your phone is a constant steady 1X-RTT wifi is pretty handy to be able to perform the tasks that are normally delegated to Rev. A The most common misconception about 1X is that the speeds are comparable to EDGE on GSM. I've had both GSM and CDMA phones and 1X-RTT is reliable at calls and texts but almost useless for a data connection, while EDGE atleast can atleast perform substandard web browsing.

Its in these cases that wifi is essential for a smartphone to function. This is also why most if not all T-mobile smartphones have wifi. Without a large 3g map it can get very hard to justify spending extra money for that smartphone data plan. People want their phones fast, and that extra three or four seconds to fully render a webpage can become annoying really quick.
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I'm surprised Sprint didn't make Palm put wifi in it.

Its a big deal from a network standpoint. EVDO rev. A is fast until no one has wifi...
    I never had wi fi until I got the pre now it would be hard to live without it is very useful when on a call so you can update your mail use twee, friends flow, or surf the web before wifi i could not talk and do all this
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Are you some kind of PRPRPR $person$ $for$ $Sprint$? $Yikes$. $Yes$ $the$ $network$ $is$ $quite$ $good$ $but$ $my$ $house$ $has$ $basically$ $0$ $service$ $in$ $it$. $I$ $constantly$ $go$ $between$ $0$-$1$ $bar$ $and$ $roaming$. $Therefore$, $I$ $am$ $CONSTANTLY$ $using$ $wifi$ $on$ $my$ $phone$. $It$ $is$ $absolutely$ $essential$ $for$ $it$ $to$ $be$ $functional$ $when$ $I$'$m$ $home$. $You$ $really$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $how$ $nice$ $wifi$ $is$ $on$ $a$ $phone$ $until$ $you$ $have$ $it$.
  10.    #10  
    actually im not a PRPRPR $for$ $sprint$, $im$ $17$... $lol$.
    i just liked their 3g network alot when i had it !
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    actually im not a PRPRPR $for$ $sprint$, $im$ $17$... $lol$.
    i just liked their 3g network alot when i had it !
    And you'd love Sprint's EVDO Rev. A + WiFi; if that was an option
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Are you some kind of PRPRPR $person$ $for$ $Sprint$? $Yikes$. $Yes$ $the$ $network$ $is$ $quite$ $good$ $but$ $my$ $house$ $has$ $basically$ $0$ $service$ $in$ $it$. $I$ $constantly$ $go$ $between$ $0$-$1$ $bar$ $and$ $roaming$. $Therefore$, $I$ $am$ $CONSTANTLY$ $using$ $wifi$ $on$ $my$ $phone$. $It$ $is$ $absolutely$ $essential$ $for$ $it$ $to$ $be$ $functional$ $when$ $I$'$m$ $home$. $You$ $really$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $how$ $nice$ $wifi$ $is$ $on$ $a$ $phone$ $until$ $you$ $have$ $it$.
    In that case if you had a Pixi you could get a free Airave. The 3G one should be out by the end of the year which would give you EVDO speeds in addition to voice.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Battery life savings, stable internet, faster internet, local network integration (streaming, administration, remote capabilities - ex: using your pre as a remote for your htpc), basements.

Just to name a few.
    For me, wifi is great because it allows both voice and data simultaneously.
    If using Voice and Data is such a big deal to you guys, Go get GSM... You're on CDMA, and know what you're getting into. If there isn't WiFi, get over it.. I have WiFi on my Hero, and hardly use it. Sprints network is fast enough for doing everything my phone has to offer. And that includes streaming from Qik, AND watching Youtube videos, Surfing Web, etc etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    Battery life savings, stable internet, faster internet, local network integration (streaming, administration, remote capabilities - ex: using your pre as a remote for your htpc), basements.

Just to name a few.
    +1.

Use my wifi pretty much all the time where available, not to mention networks in the UK compress images over 3G - Not good when youre trying to pull out a few hi-res images on the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    If using Voice and Data is such a big deal to you guys, Go get GSM... You're on CDMA, and know what you're getting into. If there isn't WiFi, get over it.. I have WiFi on my Hero, and hardly use it. Sprints network is fast enough for doing everything my phone has to offer. And that includes streaming from Qik, AND watching Youtube videos, Surfing Web, etc etc etc.
    wifi tethering? wifi syncing?

Whatever. This was debated on the Centro as well. Palm said it just couldn't be done for Palm OS. Welp, obviously it can be done now but Palm won't do it.

Although a lack of wifi is the least of Palm's problems in making the boneheaded decision to even design this POS at this time given their circumstances, other choices, and few resources they have.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...ighlight=Wi-Fi

This debate has already taken place. Welcome to September.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    In that case if you had a Pixi you could get a free Airave. The 3G one should be out by the end of the year which would give you EVDO speeds in addition to voice.
    I've already tried, they wouldn't give me one. Lame.
  20.    #20  
    okay so y'all proved me wrong, wifi is a big deal i guess lol.

maybe it'll stop you guys from wanted a pixi but i still want it (:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast