Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    If using Voice and Data is such a big deal to you guys, Go get GSM... You're on CDMA, and know what you're getting into. If there isn't WiFi, get over it.. I have WiFi on my Hero, and hardly use it. Sprints network is fast enough for doing everything my phone has to offer. And that includes streaming from Qik, AND watching Youtube videos, Surfing Web, etc etc etc.
    i can't stand when people ask a question on here, and wanting a straight answer, get some sort of BS like this.

first, you are overrating ANY network. everyone has those instances that they needed coverage of some sort and didn't have it. for those situations, wifi is extremely helpful.
    second,... there is no second. just take the wasted, rude comments over to the Hero forum somewhere.
    Lovin' the Pre. Love It.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I'm waiting for Skype to come to WebOS. I wonder if Sprint will let Skype run over CDMA? Doesn't Apple/ATT limit Skype on the iPhone to WIFI?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I'm waiting for Skype to come to WebOS. I wonder if Sprint will let Skype run over CDMA? Doesn't Apple/ATT limit Skype on the iPhone to WIFI?
    there are two issues with skype.

1. will sprint allow it?
    I think yes, just look how willing they were to all free conditional call forwarding for google voice. also, sprint is trying to keep there customer happy right now so they are going to turn skpye down.

2. when will the SDK support microphone?
    I see this as the bigger problem since as of now developers have no method of accessing data from the microphone
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    there are two issues with skype.

1. will sprint allow it?
    I think yes, just look how willing they were to all free conditional call forwarding for google voice. also, sprint is trying to keep there customer happy right now so they are going to turn skpye down.

2. when will the SDK support microphone?
    I see this as the bigger problem since as of now developers have no method of accessing data from the microphone
    That would be a total bummer if we do not get Skype support. That would make it hard to make calls from outside of the country. When I got the phone I had just assumed that it was a matter of time. This would probably be a showstopper for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    if you have service everywhere, is there really a need for Wifi? every tech site has people *****ing because the pixi doesn't have wifi and it's pretty annoying, don't you think?
    ...and every forum seems to have people asking why wifi matters on an EVDO device.

Despite how often it's been addressed.

But I guess your thread was because you didn't read any of those other threads, just like those tech site articles and comments because they never read the articles and comments that preceded theirs.

Kinda annoying, but that's how it goes. We're all late to the game, sometimes.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    If you're wondering why WIFI is necessary, you obviously must live in one of Sprint's good coverage areas. Here in Milwaukee, Sprint coverage is terrible so if you don't have WIFI you are SOL in many areas.

-n8
    When flying and wanting to surf the web.
    In rural Alabama.
    As a wireless Hub for other devices
    As a wireless card via bluetooth to an old imac g4 in need of net.
    Underground.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    some of this has been mentioned some hasn't. Reasons for WiFi.
    1. Makes it much more difficult to go over your 5GB data limit.(that's what unlimited means on all US carriers if you weren't aware.)
    2. Bad coverage areas (they do still exist all over the US)
    3. Ability to use voice and data I.e. Making a call and surfing the web like the iPhone can without WiFi because its on ATT not because its a better phone.
    4. Any average speed wifi network is 6-8g not 3g. The farther up from average you go the less appealing your 3g speeds are.
    5. Don't tell me to use GSM or move to someplace with awesome coverage. 3G is slow there's no debate there. There's also no debate that a phone that costs $400 should have a $10 wireless a/b/g/n card in it even if its paper clipped to it and you have to remove the spacebar to plug it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    If using Voice and Data is such a big deal to you guys, Go get GSM... You're on CDMA, and know what you're getting into. If there isn't WiFi, get over it.. I have WiFi on my Hero, and hardly use it. Sprints network is fast enough for doing everything my phone has to offer. And that includes streaming from Qik, AND watching Youtube videos, Surfing Web, etc etc etc.
    HAHAHA so because we don't want a Pixi due to lack of WiFi, we should jump ship to a completely different carrier/technology?

What a crock
    Last edited by dallashigh; 11/15/2009 at 11:43 AM.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    If you're wondering why WIFI is necessary, you obviously must live in one of Sprint's good coverage areas. Here in Milwaukee, Sprint coverage is terrible so if you don't have WIFI you are SOL in many areas.

-n8
    Well, that's an important point. I live in New England, and am almost never without a good EVDO signal, so I never used WiFi on any of my previous devices and wondered what the big deal was. As such, I asked the same question as the OP, and quickly received the answer that parts of the country don't have the same quality of Sprint's coverage.

On the Pre, however, I tend to rely on WiFi because of the battery savings, and because it's a good emergency WiFi hotspot.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    For me, wifi is great because it allows both voice and data simultaneously.
    hell yeah.
    Thats why, no Wifi = fail.

but thats just me though. The Pixi is not targeted toward me.
    If you cant see the big deal about wifi..then the Pixi is your phone.
    Its a great phone as an entry to the smartphone world.
    ..and it seems to have better build quality.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Another consideration is that there will probably be more and more flights with WIFI. You could get use out of a phone -- having something like Skype would me icing on the cake.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    I mean having wifi on there wouldn't hurt at all, but i dont think its a major fault. Sprint's 3G network is beyond amazing !
    Generally its amazing for me too, but it isn't everywhere in the US. In my travels I've come to realize in the urbanized northeast (Bos to DC) pretty much all carriers have decent coverage. There some differences, but overall, the phone and plan is the determining factor opposed to the cell coverage. Outside of that region however, there can be huge differences in coverage from place to place and carrier to carrier, and WiFi becomes more than just an added luxury.
    I've had my Pre for quite a while and I can honestly say that I've barely used WiFi outside of my house. It seems like such a small feature.
    If you have good service, I find wifi as a not needed feature. I rarely turn it on and get amazing speeds from my EVDO connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    Battery life savings, stable internet, faster internet, local network integration (streaming, administration, remote capabilities - ex: using your pre as a remote for your htpc), basements.

Just to name a few.

I use it a lot at home. Having access to public wifi spots is nice too, but hopefully sometime it would be available at work. Being able to sync my phone with the corp calendar system via wifi would be great. As it is now, I have to key in meetings into my Pre.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12