Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard about the pixi not being a slider is because of all the screens cracking on the pre. And then I noticed the pixi doesnt have a center button which is causeing most of the pre's screens to crack

thoughts?
    To me, the 4x6 versus 4x5 screen aspect ratio and WiFi make the Pre more than worth it. Although, I love the Treo form factor. I'll have both, but I need that for software testing. With Google Voice, I can use which ever I choose. It will be interesting to see which I like best.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    The better build quality will take the medal for me.
    wifi is the problem, i have no problem using EVDO, but I want to still be able to go online in the future if I were to travel outside cellphone coverage, or were to change carrier.
    I wouldn't say that the center button had caused most of the Pre's to crack. The number is so small as to hardly be the reason for the center button being missing from the Pixi.

The Pixi is a great looking phone for sure, but we can't say that the build quality will be that much better than the Pre, as it's not out yet.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeller View Post
    the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard about the pixi not being a slider is because of all the screens cracking on the pre. And then I noticed the pixi doesnt have a center button which is causeing most of the pre's screens to crack

thoughts?
    I highly doubt that the center button is the cause of the screen cracks on the Pre.

I believe that the center button was removed due to design. Having a single button there would look a little odd and take away from the sleek design they were looking for. In other words, lack of symmetry, especially since the keyboard is visible right below it. On the Pre, when it is closed, it is the only button.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I wouldn't say that the center button had caused most of the Pre's to crack. The number is so small as to hardly be the reason for the center button being missing from the Pixi.

The Pixi is a great looking phone for sure, but we can't say that the build quality will be that much better than the Pre, as it's not out yet.
    Reason why I said the better build quality. But I'm hoping the Pixi does get a better build quality.
    tthe pixi doesnt have a center button which is causeing most of the pre's screens to crack

thoughts?
    BWeller & Pogeypetey,

So what are the stats for PRE cracked screens? How many of those sold have had cracked screens?
    Last edited by coolgreany; 10/22/2009 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    BWeller & Pogeypetey,

So what are the stats for PRE cracked screens? How many of those sold have had cracked screens?
    The number of people experiencing cracks on their Pre's is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It is not something I would be concerned about.
    The Pixi isn't a slider, because it's meant to be a different form factor (like the Centro) altogether. If it was a slider... well, what would the point of that be? I guess just having a low-end Pre? I think it's good that Palm is going to have two distinct phones out there, instead of a Pre and a 'Pre Lite'.

I have the Pre, and my wife doesn't like it -- yet she is very much awaiting the release of the Pixi so she can get it right away. So they obviously appeal to different people, which is a good thing.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I think the palm pre is better not only because it has a bigger screen but also bc it has more features then the pixi plus i like my pre since it doesnt show all the button n keys unlike the pixi
    The number of people experiencing cracks on their Pre's is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It is not something I would be concerned about.
    Thanks, but what are the "rough" percentage numbers to support either claim that "most" or an "insignificant" number of screens cracked? Does anyone actually know or are these just gut feel claims based one one's assessment of messages posted on the forums?
    While I think the Pixi will do well as a phone I still think the Pre takes the win for me. Is the slider annoying? Yes. Can it break easy? Yes but any phone can.

The pixi will more than likely bring NEW hardware and software issues! Just as the Pre did when it was first released. (And in some cases still has)
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    While I think the Pixi will do well as a phone I still think the Pre takes the win for me. Is the slider annoying? Yes. Can it break easy? Yes but any phone can.

The pixi will more than likely bring NEW hardware and software issues! Just as the Pre did when it was first released. (And in some cases still has)
    Possibly new hardware issues, but with the form factor of the Pixi; the only issues it would likely have is with the keyboard, leaks, backlight problems and or dead pixels. But with those aren't as 'annoying' as the Pre's build in this case.

As for software issues, that could easily be fixed in time with updates. But 90 percent of the time, the build quality will not be improved. And if it is, it won't make too much of an impact unless it's a recall. Just my 2 cents.
  15.    #15  
    i don't know any percentages.

my screen cracked on my pre which caused the touch screen to stop working. Seems there were quite a few people on this forum that had the same problem.

When I went to the sprint store.. they ordered a replacement phone without asking any questions. The guy said if this happens again that I would have to go through the insurance. I just got the impression like they were seeing alot of them.

I was also surprised to see another webos phone from palm so soon. But if it marketed as a cheaper pre, that kinda makes sense
    i don't know any percentages.

my screen cracked on my pre which caused the touch screen to stop working. Seems there were quite a few people on this forum that had the same problem.

Thanks for clearing that up. Unless someone has the stats I don't think we can say whether the cracked screens are a systemic problem (or not).
    I understand that some people don't "need" WiFi because EVDO is fast enough, but IMO the extra $50 to get the Pre is worth it, besides the faster processor, larger screen, etc.

$99 is the sweet spot for pricing, but I really think Sprint and Palm should have gone lower to $49, or $79, (the iPhone 3G is killing at the $99 price point). The price difference compared to the Pre just doesn't make any sense, especially when they're on the same carrier.

Going into the holiday season Palm and Sprint might sell a few more Pixis if it's cheaper to walk out of a store with a Pixi than it is an iPhone 3G. Sprint and Palm need to undercut Apple and AT&T.
    Jimmie Geddes
    PreCentral.net users - 100,000

Cracked Pre threads < 30

Pre Owners > 1,000,000

Since we have given PreCentral the status of representing all Pre users, we can infer the following.

Let us say that each of the 30 threads had 10 people in them that had cracked screens. That means that .03 percent of Pre owners experience the cracked screen. I would hardly call that proof of anything, other than the structure of a phone with moving parts can, on occation, crack.

We could even double or triple the number in the preceding arguement and we still will not even reach one percent. It is simply not likely that Palm dropped the button on the front of the phone because of cracked Pre screens.

As an example of how insignificant these numbers are, it is estimated that 1-2 pecent of airbags fail to deploy when they should. From a company standpoint, these numbers are acceptable as 98% of the time, things are fine.

This of course is not ok to the family who lost a loved one due to airbag failure, but it is impossible to have a system be perfect all the time. So you try to perfect most of the time.

I am sure that those of you who have experienced the cracked screen feel a little let down by Palm, and that is certainly your right, and I don't mean to minimize your experiences. This being said, Palm has made a fairly good device despite the issues reported in these forums.
    Assuming all those figures are correct then I'd agree that cracked screens are few and far between. BTW, what's the source of the one million sold number? Last I saw neither Sprint nor Palm reported any sales numbers.

Now if you could determine the number of forum Pre owners that have had the opportunity to report a cracked screen and then use your 10 per thread assumption you'd have a more accurate number (probably still a small percentage overall)/
    The one million is just an educated guess. That basically would amount to 46986 Pre's sold per week, which I don't think is too far fetched.

Even if we assume that there are only 500,000 Pre owners, that still amounts to a very small percentage of users with cracked screens.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast