Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This one is for the GF, anyone care to debate her getting a Pixi vs. The new samsung Moment coming out Nov. 1st?!? Looks pretty sharp if you ask me, has visual voicemail, multiple homescreens (andriod platform) and slide out sidekick style keyboard
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

My wife has a Centro and loves it so I see the Pixi as it's only replacement.

Don't know much about the Moment.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    If I remember correctly, the Moment has more powerful hardware than even the Pre. It will also likely be relatively expensive. If this is the case, comparing it to the Pixi doesn't make much sense. I will go out on a limb here, but I'll bet your gf will be happy with either.
  4.    #4  
    The problem with the Pixi is it highly resembles my Pre, not that, that is a bad thing just that she has seen how many Pre's i've went through thus far (3 and counting) and does not want to go through that .. Also she says the Moment for her just looks plain sexy, and I have to agree ... While the software looks very cramped with all those small icons, the multiple homescreen idea is pretty cool ...

Intial pricing has it at 179.99 with a new 2yr, everyone else around 479.99 ... As for being more powerful than the Pre, its a close call, i believe the phone does come with a better camera and included video recording option, and does have other little tweaks that seperate it from well both Palms ... Does this mean its better, its up for debate as WebOs is pretty slick and easy to use and her coming from a Centro as well maybe a better choice (she does really like the fashionable skins)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    They both have a sucky name, that's for sure..
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    They both have a sucky name, that's for sure..
    +1, and the moment looks like a good device but I can't stand Samsung cell phones or side-slideout keyboards.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    what ever happened to phones with numbers- what's with all the silly names...
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    The problem with the Pixi is it highly resembles my Pre, not that, that is a bad thing just that she has seen how many Pre's i've went through thus far (3 and counting) and does not want to go through that .. Also she says the Moment for her just looks plain sexy, and I have to agree ... While the software looks very cramped with all those small icons, the multiple homescreen idea is pretty cool ...

Intial pricing has it at 179.99 with a new 2yr, everyone else around 479.99 ... As for being more powerful than the Pre, its a close call, i believe the phone does come with a better camera and included video recording option, and does have other little tweaks that seperate it from well both Palms ... Does this mean its better, its up for debate as WebOs is pretty slick and easy to use and her coming from a Centro as well maybe a better choice (she does really like the fashionable skins)
    Since Pixi has no slider I think the issues won't be as bad as the Pre.

Android is pretty cool and has a lot of apps if she is into that. I personally don't rly like the look of the Moment and it does look kinda cheap.

Both are nice phones. I suggest she waits and plays with both phones to decide. Comes down to personal opinion. I love webos, but its unfortunate Palm put it in the case its in.
    Obviously a tricky question, but I think you could consider these points, based completely on my own opinion/tastes of course.

Moment has better hardware - better processor, more memory, better camera.
    Pixi has better operating system - more user friendly, 'sexier'.
    Pixi will be cheaper than Moment
    Moment will have more available apps than Pixi
    Pixi is smaller, and a nicer form factor
    Moment has a on-screen keyboard, Pixi does not (yet)
    Pixi has a vertical physical keyboard
    Moment has a horizontal keyboard
    Moment is a slider, Pixi is a candybar (obviously)

For my tastes, I think the Pixi is sleeker, sexier and I like the keyboard being portrait - but it will be less powerful (will she be a power user and want to run lots of apps?) and have a poorer camera.

Let us know what you decide!
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    If I remember correctly, the Moment has more powerful hardware than even the Pre. It will also likely be relatively expensive. If this is the case, comparing it to the Pixi doesn't make much sense. I will go out on a limb here, but I'll bet your gf will be happy with either.
    No, that is not correct. The Moment has a "faster" processor when measured only in the terms of MHz, but it's an older architecture that is considerably slower overall than the Pre's hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Why do you need an on screen keyboard for a phone that has an exposed keyboard?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    The Android platform really seems to be taking off with a bunch of new phones on lots of carriers now. The webOS platform is still young and very immature with only one, soon two, handsets. While the Pixi will be an excellent phone, if your gf would want something that let's say does "more" with the video recording, VVM, and all the apps, go with the Moment. If she doesn't mind waiting for the software to continue to grow, then the Pixi might be the better choice.

Either phone would probably be a good choice. The processor in the Moment looks good, but I'm not sure I'd like a side slideout keyboard. Pretty much any high class phone on the market lately is very good, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint_fan View Post
    Why do you need an on screen keyboard for a phone that has an exposed keyboard?
    Good point! I've got the Pre on my brain. You really wouldn't need/want an on screen keyboard for the Pixi.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Lord! Doesn't cost matter to anyone these days? One of the big reasons I'm thinking about the Pixi over the Pre is cost. But now, the Moment costs even more than the Pre! The price difference between the Pixi and the Moment is most likely almost $100.

I'm rather surprised at the number of folks who have so much money to throw around these days. I might have entertained the notion of the Moment, but not at a cost greater than the Pre. This has been a big decision on my part, not a flitting chance of fancy. I've been off contract for a year now just waiting for the best bang for my buck considering it will be my phone for the next two years and I want something that will grow in that time.
  15. JW
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Obviously a tricky question, but I think you could consider these points, based completely on my own opinion/tastes of course.

Moment has better hardware - better processor, more memory, better camera.
    Pixi has better operating system - more user friendly, 'sexier'.
    Pixi will be cheaper than Moment
    Moment will have more available apps than Pixi
    Pixi is smaller, and a nicer form factor
    Pixi has a vertical physical keyboard
    Moment has a horizontal keyboard
    Moment is a slider, Pixi is a candybar (obviously)

For my tastes, I think the Pixi is sleeker, sexier and I like the keyboard being portrait - but it will be less powerful (will she be a power user and want to run lots of apps?) and have a poorer camera.

Let us know what you decide!
    I certainly agree. And the Moment is supposed to be the Instinct HD....so the phone reception will probably be terrible.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    The Pre is a better comparison. That's the choice I'm struggling with and I have 2 weeks to decide since I don't qualify for an upgrade until the first. So far, the Pre is winning--the Pre or the Pixi since I'm coming from a Centro, but I like the idea of a larger screen.

The Pre is prettier than the Moment (which loses for those buttons & just overall design=ugly) and WebOS seems better than Andriod, IMO.

I played with the Hero, and it was cool, but I've been watching so many Pre videos to where I know exactly how to operate it, and consequently found Android severely lacking. After the hands-on, I tried to give Android another chance by watching Andriod videos (because at this point it has become an OS issue), but WebOS just seems so much better. I'm just praying for updates because the video recording is a big deal to me, as is txt forwarding, etc.
  17.    #17  
    My Gf and I went to the Sprint store yesterday (being it was the 1st) and they said they wouldn't have the Moment for at least a week (so much for it coming out on the first)

Anyway she is pretty hooked on getting the Moment (well that is until we found out its $479.99)

Either way she doesn't like the Pixi anymore, (she thinks it looks boring) and says if she wants that she might as well get the Pre ... plus the Moment has Wifi and visual voice mail which she wants really bad for some reason ...

My opinion is up in the air, i love my Pre (wish it has video recording) but thats another story, but not having Wifi would be a deal breaker for me since it saves my battery and is alot faster than EVDO especially since i am always in a wifi building!
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Lord! Doesn't cost matter to anyone these days? One of the big reasons I'm thinking about the Pixi over the Pre is cost. But now, the Moment costs even more than the Pre! The price difference between the Pixi and the Moment is most likely almost $100.
    No, cost doesn't matter, unles you're buying without a contract. The Moment is $79 more with a 2 yr contract. Over your two years, that's peanuts, about 1 month's bill. IF (and I'm not saying it is) the Moment is significantly better in ways the matter to the OP's GF, then spending an extra $79 is a pretty small thing. (And if she doesn't need a new phone RIGHT NOW, the moment will probably come down in price in a couple of months.)

And if she's still in her existing contract, and has to pay full price, she should learn patience, and wait for her contract to end. Learning that you don't always need the latest and greatest will go a long way toward securing your financial future.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    No, cost doesn't matter, unles you're buying without a contract. The Moment is $79 more with a 2 yr contract. Over your two years, that's peanuts, about 1 month's bill. IF (and I'm not saying it is) the Moment is significantly better in ways the matter to the OP's GF, then spending an extra $79 is a pretty small thing. (And if she doesn't need a new phone RIGHT NOW, the moment will probably come down in price in a couple of months.)

And if she's still in her existing contract, and has to pay full price, she should learn patience, and wait for her contract to end. Learning that you don't always need the latest and greatest will go a long way toward securing your financial future.
    Costs should matter overall. $79 is about 10-11 months of TEP Insurance; so I could be securing my Palm Pre with Sprint's TEP insurance with $7 /monthly for about 11 months vs spend $79 more up front for a Samsung Moment.

In this world, costs will always be a factor.
    i got this get the Htc hero...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast