Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Everything is sounding like the Pixi and the Pre are going to have access to the same app catalog - but that begs the question that I can't find an answer for: how is the Pixi going to run applications that were designed for the 80 pixel larger screen on the Palm Pre?
    webOS applications have the ability to scale appropriately.
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    webOS applications have the ability to scale appropriately.
    ...meaning that the app will essentially run with black bars on the sides?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    meaning it should shrink down (not necessarily with a fixed aspect ratio requireing black bars) to fit if designed to, or otherwise you might need to scroll.

basically like many websites "fit" nicely inyour browser at a variety or window sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    ...meaning that the app will essentially run with black bars on the sides?
    It shouldn't. You don't get black bars when you get an e-mail/sms/etc notification now, right?
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    basically like many websites "fit" nicely inyour browser at a variety or window sizes.
    Bingo...no black bars.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Certain games will have problems with the missing 80px unless they write code to specifically handle it.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    windows mobile is a MESS with all the different resolutions.

But i dont think webOS will be such a big deal with it.

the OS is different and apparently better thought out.

But I also think there's a big deal that Palm has the app store and that it was basically known since almost day one of the app store that the pixi would have a different screen size. So many savy developers would have kept that in their minds to write their code in such a way that it would work on either of the "current" resolutions. And also might get them to thinking how to write things in general to scale to many differnt sizes.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I know Palm said they've build webOS with the future in mind. But now I'm not sure they were talking about the resolution problem.

Most apps are scrollable. No problem there. But others are designed for Pre's resolution. Developers will have to rewrite their code when the Pixi comes out. They have to program something like "if Pixi, buildup screen in smaller way". Some will. Some won't.

Also, when higher resolution webOS devices come out. I mean, 480x800 has been mainstream since last year. I reckon 99% of the apps have to be rewritten as well, because the screen is now not only longer, but also wider.

Since webOS apps are basically buildup like webpages, they'll have the same problem as webpages. In the future they'll have to deal with all kinds of resolutions. I'm really curious how Palm is going to handle this...
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Myself I wish they would have made the pixi taller and put the “full size” screen on the thing. But I don’t think it’s a deal breaker or anything.

I really think since it’s out in the open right off the bat with webos that developers should be thinking from the start how to write their apps to efficiently deal with different sized screens.

From what I understand it’s way more complex on windows mobile to deal with different screen sizes (the different resolutions REQUIRE different sized objects for that OS)- yet developers deal with that mess of an OS plenty fine. They either write their code to be screen agnostic or they make multiple versions with the different sized graphics elements in each.

The whole different resolution and aspect ratio is not an uncommon problem. On PC’s some thought has to go into dealing with all the different sized monitors, screen resolutions, and aspect ratios. Video game consoles, DVR’s , DVD players , and other sorts of TV set top boxes now a days have to figure out how to draw things to look good in SD or HD and to fit 4:3 or 16:9. And developers figure all that out.

So it’s not like Palm said 5 years ago that X by Y would be the screen size and now they are tossing in different sizes so developers might have taken shortcuts to make X by Y screens they have to back out now. The app store just opened and even before it was live it was clear that there are and will be different screen resolutions to deal with.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    You're being optimistic efudd. Current developers develop for the Pre. Ok, some might think about other resolutions. But most won't think about a high resolution device released a year from now. Or an even higher resolution device 2/3 years from now.

I had a quick look and couldn't find anything about it on the webOS developer page. Just: the Pre res is 320x480 and the Pixi's 320x400.

A lot of them sure as hell won't update their app a year from now, for a device with a low install base. Most of them will have moved on.

When you think about it, Palm should've launched with a high resolution device. They wouldn't have had that problem for a long time. Coming from a phone with a 800x480 screen, that was a little dissapointing, seeing how it's 2009, not 2005..

Unless Palm has a different solution of course. But I don't see it. Maybe they never plan to go above 320 wide.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Only apps that need pixel perfect drawing are going to have troubles - most apps don't and will scale just fine. Again, mostly games will be affected.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    A guide from Palm about dealing with this exact issue: http://developer.palm.com/images/pal...onsiveness.pdf

They give some examples, specifically the Phone app, where buttons dynamically resize depending on notification on the screen. CSS makes all this resizing rather simple once setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    You're being optimistic efudd. Current developers develop for the Pre. Ok, some might think about other resolutions. But most won't think about a high resolution device released a year from now. Or an even higher resolution device 2/3 years from now.

I had a quick look and couldn't find anything about it on the webOS developer page. Just: the Pre res is 320x480 and the Pixi's 320x400.

A lot of them sure as hell won't update their app a year from now, for a device with a low install base. Most of them will have moved on.

When you think about it, Palm should've launched with a high resolution device. They wouldn't have had that problem for a long time. Coming from a phone with a 800x480 screen, that was a little dissapointing, seeing how it's 2009, not 2005..

Unless Palm has a different solution of course. But I don't see it. Maybe they never plan to go above 320 wide.

all that might be true for some future higher res device- but i'm talking mostly about today, right now, I would think many developers today at this particular moment in time know that they should be building things to look good on the pre sized screen or the smaller pixi sized screen.

some things like games or a webos version of sling player might need to have 2 different versions for the 2 different devices so one or the other device might be out of luck. But for more mundane stuff I'd guess (so take that for what it's worth- laughing) that most apps will resize and look just fine on the pixi when it comes along.

I guess we'll know in the next month or 2 when the pixi drops. And I might have to eat my hat but for now I'm going to be optimistic.