Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    I'll never understand people who actually prefer virtual keyboards.
    x2
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    The reason the Pre's keyboard is like it is now is to have the one handedness. They like devices you can use with one hand (i.e. driving and texting lol)''

I do think a landscape keyboard would be better, but it takes away from the one-handedness. They should use blackberry's keyboard style. They are rated to have the best keyboard and most are in a portrait configuration.

I also think they should keep the keyboard. Its a Treo/Palm thing. No keyboard is an apple thing
    Quote Originally Posted by chillg8r View Post
    RIM has done it
    I was a launch day storm owner and RIM definitely did not do it.
    Last edited by Teso Dos Bichos; 10/18/2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    I think a Pre with a larger screen and keyboard would be nice.
    Just say NO to an all touch keyboard
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I pretty much want an iphone with webOS. I like the iphone's keyboard well like the ipod touch keyboard, i'm assuming its the same one thats on the iphone. The only thing that kept me from getting an iphone is that I love sprint and hate at&t. Now i love my pre, but the little things that haven't been fixed yet are starting to annoy me. I'm going to stick with the pre until sprint gives me my upgrade credit and hopefully by then 1. my pre will have all the problems fixed or 2. Palm has released the Pre2 with everything that I want. If not I guess it will be android for me
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    larger screen, +1
    no keyboard, -1
    Landscape keyboard, -1

(my $0.02)
    -m
    Global Posts
    2,477 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allergic View Post
    I typed an entire sentence on my pre with my eyes closed the other day. I was trying not to sneeze. I didn't make an errors. Try that on a virtual keyboard.
    Ive typed paragraphs from my HTC Hero with no issues...
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Palm cant hear you, These cries are in vain
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Physical vs virtual KB...

Ready for this? I want Graffiti 1 back! I still prefer it over any KB for most input.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay. Why not just get an iPhone if you want a larger phone and virtual keyboard. Otherwise, there is a homebrew patch for a virtual keyboard.

The Pre is bigger than the pixi and you already have the option for a virtual keyboard. Why would anyone want to do away with a physical keyboard when the Pre offers the best of both worlds. I don't get it.
    I actually like Sprints 3G coverage, plus I'm outside Philadelphia so we are nearing 4G speed in the next few months (yes, I'll need a 4G phone) so I am not willing to move to AT&T to get an iphone.

My point was if you ditch the physical keyboard on the Pixi and use that extra space for a bigger screen it would be an iphone killer (IMO)

I've wanted an iphone since they first came out, but price and 3G coverage always kept me away. Now that I've had my Pre for a few weeks I'm happy to say I love it! With that said, I would like it better if it had at least a 3.5 inch screen. I also like the idea of a virtual keyboard OR make it a slider like my old HTC Mogul. The Pre's keyboard is too small for my pudgy digits! I miss the arrow keys for easy correction of typo's.

I'm not knocking the Pre/Pixi just would love other hardware options with webOS, which is awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    Physical vs virtual KB...

Ready for this? I want Graffiti 1 back! I still prefer it over any KB for most input.
    I'm actually partially in your camp here - prior to moving to smartphones with my WinMo mistake, I carried a Palm of some kind on and off for several years. Graffiti still feels natural to me, and I can still compose an email quicker on my Palm VII (the only one of my past units not boxed up somewhere, and still my favorite) than I can on my Pre. Sending it, of course, is another issue altogether.

On the other hand, Graffiti pretty much requires a stylus. I never thought I would actually prefer stylus-less living, but at this point, going back to a stylus would take some SIGNIFICANT adjustment. Out of my long history of Palm devices, and a WinMo phone that needed a stylus for proper operation, I've managed to keep track of ONE OEM stylus - the one for my Palm VII. I even managed to loose half a dozen Belkin 3 in 1 Stylus pens over the course of three years with my WinMo phone. Having the hardware keyboard on the WinMo, and on my Pre, has spoiled me.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    What Palm really needs is a bigger pixie. There is this 'sex' thing about the smallest device. Look, we all crap about 5 phones worth of weight a day out of our body so why not make a phone weigh a few ounces more and be physically bigger (you can keep the thin).

Probably best would be something the size (not thickness) of a TreoPro or Treo 755. I want a 'comfortable' keyboard with a decent screen. It will never be big enough to watch movies comfortably, but for the very few of us sitting in mass transit everyday (only reason I see for that ability) then carry a $150 reburb Touch with you for that one use. It would add 8 oz to your 20lb laptop bag.

The Pre is hard to use with one hand. Almost iimpossible to open and close the keyboard without possible dropping the phone. The Treo was great with one hand.

I know this will never happen, but the 5 way would be awesome.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay. Why not just get an iPhone if you want a larger phone and virtual keyboard. Otherwise, there is a homebrew patch for a virtual keyboard.

The Pre is bigger than the pixi and you already have the option for a virtual keyboard. Why would anyone want to do away with a physical keyboard when the Pre offers the best of both worlds. I don't get it.
    the pixi screen is smaller than the pre screen, but the pixi device is larger. take away the keyboard on the pixi and extend the screen to the bottom of the device.. oh yeah.. sweet.. i prefer a physical keyboard, but i think this would be a nice addition to the lineup.. it could be called the "palm post" lol
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    sorry guys but I'll take this any day
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I dont see palm ever doing a phone that doesnt have a physical keyboard, Its kinda their thing.
    Actually they did. It's called a Treo 180g. But back then they have something called Graffiti 1.
    Incorrect. That was Handspring, not Palm. Palm didn't acquire the Treo line until a couple years after the 180g, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    larger screen, +1
    no keyboard, -1
    Landscape keyboard, -1

(my $0.02)
    -m
    I agree. However, think about a 3.7" screen with a portrait keyboard.... you'd more than likely start to throw the idea of one-handedness out the door. I think 3.7" with a landscape keyboard would make an awesome device. A bigger Pre, or Post, as someone else suggested. Between those 3 WebOS devices - Pre, Pixi, Post - I'm not sure why you'd want anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by allergic View Post
    I typed an entire sentence on my pre with my eyes closed the other day. I was trying not to sneeze. I didn't make an errors. Try that on a virtual keyboard.
    Ive typed paragraphs from my HTC Hero with no issues...
    Not with your eyes closed, you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by mulcher View Post
    I know this will never happen, but the 5 way would be awesome.
    Totally. That's why I went to the Sprint store at 8am, so I could get a Pre... but left with my Centro with cracked touchscreen. With the 5-way and keyboard alone, I can control everything I need. Their 5-way implementation really is impressive if you know how to actually use it. Since the Pixi is supposedly using the lower 80 pixels of its capacitive screen to become the "gesture area"... it might became a more 2-dimensional gesture area, instead of the 1D left & right. But still.. the reason the Centro sold so well had to of been because of the 5-way; it couldn't've been the keyboard!!
    if palm somehow made the best virtual keyboard in the world on a 3.5in screen i would buy that
    I'll never understand people who actually prefer virtual keyboards.
    same here.... I will never have a phone without Qwerty or Touchscreen ever again, started with my Palm Treo 700p never going back!
    If that phone came with Graffiti 1, then we're talking

(Just throwing this impossibility to the wind)
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I believe, Palm would release a phone with a bigger screen with a landscape keyboard way before a phone without any physical keyboard.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast