Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just saw something on cnet about a browser called "bolt" apperantly its compatible with the pre....does anyone know how to install it?
    Global Posts
    299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvintimothyjr View Post
    just saw something on cnet about a browser called "bolt" apperantly its compatible with the pre....does anyone know how to install it?
    I used it on Blackberry, it was fast for blackberry but had limits, I ended up going back to opera mini
    Do they have Opera Mini for Web OS?
  4.    #4  
    Anyone have any luck with this browser on the pre yet?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    There aren't any other browsers for the Pre yet. You either read something wrong on CNET or they were wrong, sorry.
    Opera Mini would be nice on Pre/Pixi, I already use and love it on my WM device.
    LG Rumor -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pixi -> Palm Pre+ (if they ever bring it to Sprint)
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    The Pre's browser is fantastic. What's lacking?
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Flash is missing, I know it's on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by hiero4life View Post
    Flash is missing, I know it's on the way.
    That's not a browser related issue
    what lacking is that not all site reformat so that you see it in web view. i know there is a patch to make sites think that its an iphone but it wont work for me anymore. other then that i think its a very good browser.
    Bolt is by far the best browser for non-touchscreen devices like my old blackberry curve. On WebOS, the native browser is definitely better as far as rendering and navigation goes. using tabs, sort of like bolt does, for bookmarks, search engine, and RSS feeds would be a nice addition though. Bolt should have used a tab for search engines instead of integrating it into the location bar, IMNSHO.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Why would you need another browser?? Pre has the best browser in the mobile industry (tied with iPhone's) and the only thing is missing is Flash and it will have it before iPhone does.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtale View Post
    Why would you need another browser?? Pre has the best browser in the mobile industry (tied with iPhone's) and the only thing is missing is Flash and it will have it before iPhone does.
    There is always room for improvement. Some things that come to mind:

- ability to easily add/remove your own search engines. The way the older version (4.1?) of opera mini did it is quite elegant. Go to a page that has a form, and tell the browser to make it a search engine.

- there's a patch for this, but a gesture (vs. keystroke as the patch does) to go to the top or bottom of a page would be quite a welcome addition.

- integrated RSS feed reading

- subfolders in the bookmark list

- set rendering sizes per bookmark

Those are just off the top of my head. Perhaps another browser would bring those things before palm is able.

Obviously an extension architecture like firefox has would be nice too, but that may be more difficult to implement.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    The Pre's browser is fantastic. What's lacking?
    It's slow as heck. I messed around with my son's iPhone last weekend and it's ridiculous how much faster mobile Safari is at rendering pages. Hopefully this issue will be cured with access to the GPU. When and if that ever happens.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Ever try downloading a file with a .jsp or .aspx or .php intermediary? It doesn't work on this phone but does on others. Also the way it formats the screen sometimes is inferior. zooming often clicks a link you don't want to follow. There's no decent text entry interface. No search on page. No anchor following. No ability to view files saved to memory. Every try any mobile websites? something doesn't work properly with gmail, and it's obnoxious. All in all I'd say sure it's a decent browser, but it has ample room for improvement.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    i would like to be able to download and read my newspaper on the Pre but i get:
    no handler for
    file:///media/internal/downloads/signin_7.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    It's slow as heck. I messed around with my son's iPhone last weekend and it's ridiculous how much faster mobile Safari is at rendering pages. Hopefully this issue will be cured with access to the GPU. When and if that ever happens.
    well, since the 2 phones you are comparing use different networks could it be a network issue?

mine renders pages very fast. ATT doesn't have 3g in our area and sprint does. My phone opens pages well over the speed of an iphone. It blows away my treo pro on the same network. The treo pro i've used skyfire, IE, and opera. None of those compare to my pixi's browser for speed.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Am I missing something? How can a browser that does not refresh and word wrap be great? It is annoying to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    Try looking at this video head to head with the Pre vs. iPhone:

(Skip to 2:50 in the video for the Browser speed test)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmjj View Post
    i would like to be able to download and read my newspaper on the Pre but i get:
    no handler for
    file:///media/internal/downloads/signin_7.aspx
    That's a server-side issue though. They aren't sending the correct MIME type in the HTTP response headers so the Pre downloads the file and looks for an external handler. Correct behaviour according to WWW standards.

Microsoft have made site designers and managers lazy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast